Griffin Logue 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah he said "recruiters", so pre draft. I thought he kicked ok off the left in U18s etc but his field kicks on Friday hung in the air way too long. Still think it is nerves and he was just over cautious causing him not to kick naturally (like he was forced to with that super goal - didn't have time to over think it).

I am not in the rush him in to senior team brigade myself. Even though he already has plenty of AFL attributes I still think he was a relatively high risk (only because we used pick 8) high reward selection looking at the longer term, not immediate term. If we can flush out the nerves, tighten up his skills and teach him how to position himself well he'll become an extremely good AFL player. But it's going to take more than a single pre-season to get there. I wanted Brodie on draft day but can now see Logue brings more flexibility in the long run.
I agree , I am not too fuss of him spending more time in wafl, I am quite happy that Ross play him and let him know the pace of the game in afl, that part of the reason I would like more kids to play in JLT, but due to long list of injury last season I can see why ross prefer to have more best 22 play in it now.

There's nothing wrong with his skills. He's got neat skills for his size. Footy nous is a work in progress. Some players are better instinctual players. Stephen Hill for example. He's better starting inside and ball hunting rather than on the wing.

Logue could play a mix of back and inside mid. Lefty, massive kick, super athlete. There isn't much not to like.

The big knock on Logue from recruiters was his field kicking. I'm not sure Logue was worth the risk when there were other talented players still available.

I disagree I followed the draft strongly and have not seen one thing written about Logue's field kicking? Happy to have you prove me wrong if you've got some proof?

Brodie and English the contenders from my point of view, But prefer the Logue selection. Brodie perhaps more certain to succeed, English a bigger risk/higher ceiling.
Agree Brodie more certain , but if you look at current freo mid , he will more certain to spend more time with peel for the first two year if no injury or suspension happen to senior players.

113kg teenager with doubtful running, staying ability, and various medical issues. I think we were pretty safe with this one.

“My weakness is my running – endurance and covering the ground I need to work on.

“The last two years I’ve had pretty interrupted pre-seasons – I had hypothyroidism in my hamstring which kept me out for about four months (in 2015) and then I had stress reactions in my back, which kept me out for another four months.”

http://www.standard.net.au/story/4281571/afl-draft-sean-makes-a-splash-photos-video/#slide=1

People here overreacted logue first match , some senior players playing more than 100 games still make the same mistake 3 years after GF appearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Brodie more certain , but if you look at current freo mid , he will more certain to spend more time with peel for the first two year if no injury or suspension happen to senior players.
I still have faith that Balic will come on for us, and Blakely is developing nicely, so Brodie certainly is not hitting an area of need, but we also removed Mzungu, Barlow and de Boer from the list. I think they would have found room for Brodie sooner rather than later, but my expectation is most players are going to spend a fair bit of time at Peel, Logue included. We have plenty of players who are flexible so fitting in a class mid won't be a problem. They are doing it with Blakely and Weller who I think will be midfield foundations for us in time. Fyfe more forward if things evolved in that direction, Brodie midfield.

I still have faith that Balic will come on for us, and Blakely is developing nicely, so Brodie certainly is not hitting an area of need, but we also removed Mzungu, Barlow and de Boer from the list. I think they would have found room for Brodie sooner rather than later, but my expectation is most players are going to spend a fair bit of time at Peel, Logue included. We have plenty of players who are flexible so fitting in a class mid won't be a problem. They are doing it with Blakely and Weller who I think will be midfield foundations for us in time. Fyfe more forward if things evolved in that direction, Brodie midfield.
GU , Barlow , deboer type I already allocated to rookie list player deluca and grey , from what I saw from last year to this year these two improve their composure when they kick which result with more accurate kicking . I still hope Hughes come on but I think his exposure to afl in an under siege team do him more harm than good last year somehow. Is really a big step up from wafl . That is the reason JLT is really good exposure for kids in my opinion , As most team will not bring their best 22 and tested some kids with senior players taking care of them . suban is a great example of having the pace of wafl but found it a bit tough in afl.

* I not against ross method now as freo basically need to give fyfe, MJ , come back from season injury more run , and new trade in players to get their chemistry going .

Last edited:
D, A, W, S, O, N.

Wrong thread mate, this was not intended as a bag Freo defenders discussion. Dawson has actually been good for us, and if he is still getting selected, it means there is no-one better (at that role - which is shutting down a forward) available.

I do not think Logue is the shut down defender type, more as suggested here, the 3rd man up type that runs forward, making opposition accountable. Alex Pearce is the logical stand in - but he is injured.

Are you the one that shouts loudly at Freo players, spelling their name one letter at a time - with a pause each letter, because you write them in capitals with commas.

Last edited:
Wrong thread mate, this was not intended as a bag Freo defenders discussion. Dawson has actually been good for us, and if he is still getting selected, it means there is no-one better (at that role - which is shutting down a forward) available.

I do not think Logue is the shut down defender type, more as suggested here, the 3rd man up type that runs forward, making opposition accountable. Alex Pearce is the logical stand in - but he is injured.

Are you the one that shouts loudly at Freo players, spelling their name one letter at a time - with a pause each letter, because you write them in capitals with commas.

Settle down, can't anyone have fun these days ?.

I was really backing up Logue, by agreeing that players make mistakes, including those with 100+ games of experience.

Me shout at Freo players, nah, too busy telling the maggots to get a new job.

Settle down, can't anyone have fun these days ?.

I was really backing up Logue, by agreeing that players make mistakes, including those with 100+ games of experience.

Me shout at Freo players, nah, too busy telling the maggots to get a new job.

No worries masai, all good - just cannot recall you posting a lot, and found the contribution...awkward. I was trying to "settle you down", because you have inadvertently (it seems), tried to take this off track to another discussion which I find really boring, and as a contributor to this board, and a passionate supporter of all of our players, I think I am entitled to shoot you down a notch.

Welcome to the discussion on Griffin Logue.

No worries masai, all good - just cannot recall you posting a lot, and found the contribution...awkward. I was trying to "settle you down", because you have inadvertently (it seems), tried to take this off track to another discussion which I find really boring, and as a contributor to this board, and a passionate supporter of all of our players, I think I am entitled to shoot you down a notch.

Sarcasm? Over 7k posts from Masai

impressed with his athleticism and thought his left was pretty good. No wonky wobly punts at least. Will be even better if we can get an in form Johnson and peace back there with him.

He's been posting on this forum since 2002. When were you born? Mind you, it was a dodgy post.

Sarcasm? Over 7k posts from Masai

The reference was "I cannot recall" - not - "you have not posted much". Most would know I am overly opinionated, however I rarely post on the main board (or read it). I was not intending to be sarcastic. I just want to keep the thread on track, or every bloody thread goes back to a group that whinge and "hijack" discussions. Yes, it is all fun, but, it is serious too, I love these forums, and rarely post a thread although I follow and read them all closely. When I do create a thread, I believe I have the right to keep the intended discussion on target. Is that fair?

Last edited:
I don't think Logue will get many games this year, unless more injury occurs. Johnson seems to be in good form after being out most of last year and Hamling looked very good in the last two games. Dawson will probably remain in the squad until A.Pearce comes back, hopefully about mid-season. Adding Logue into all that may make the squad a bit too tall. Once Johnson retires, likely at the end of the year, he'll have a much greater chance of getting into the squad.

Still looked very promising from the one game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back