Prediction 2017 Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I just can't have KK as a defender
I have never seen him defend!
He has locked down a few times a couple of years ago in Rockets first few games

Tore apart my fantasy football defence as a result

With all our pre-season games done, here is what I would settle on.

B: J.Joyce, R.Thompson, T.Mckenzie
HB: K.Kolodjashnij, S.May, A.Saad
C: P.Hanley, M.Barlow, D.Swallow
HF: J.Martin, T.Lynch, A.Sexton
F: G.Ablett, P.Wright, C.Ah Chee
R: J.Witts, T.Miller, A.Hall
Int: J.Lyons, J.Lonergan, B.Fiorini, M.Rosa

Em: S.Lemmens, J.Schoenfeld, M.Shaw

Tried to avoid using any first year players and went with hardened bodies instead. If Ainsworth wasn't coming off with pneumonia I probably could have found a spot for him instead of probably Ah Chee, but I want experience early on. Our 2nds team is going to look great.

B: S.Lemmens, J.Leslie, M.Willis
HB: J.Scrimshaw, K.Brooksby, M.Spencer
C: J.Schoenfeld, W.Brodie, M.Shaw
HF: B.Matera, C.Loersch, R.Davis
F: D.Macphearson, J.Grant, B.Ainsworth
R.: D.Currie, J.Bowes, B.Scheer

Int: M.Hallahan, Other GC Academy Prodcuts

Inj: M.Rischitelli, J.Harbrow, S.Day, T.Nicholls

If we can stay healthy and get back Rischi and Harbrow without any more massive losses on the injury front, we will be looking good.

Last edited:
With all our pre-season games done, here is what I would settle on.

B: J.Joyce, R.Thompson, T.Mckenzie
HB: K.Kolodjashnij, S.May, A.Saad
C: P.Hanley, M.Barlow, D.Swallow
HF: J.Martin, T.Lynch, A.Sexton
F: G.Ablett, P.Wright, C.Ah Chee
R: J.Witts, T.Miller, A.Hall
Int: J.Lyons, J.Lonergan, B.Fiorini, M.Rosa

Em: S.Lemmens, J.Schoenfeld, M.Shaw

Tried to avoid using any first year players and went with hardened bodies instead. If Ainsworth wasn't coming off with pneumonia I probably could have found a spot for him instead of probably Ah Chee, but I want experience early on. Our 2nds team is going to look great.

B: S.Lemmens, J.Leslie, M.Willis
HB: J.Scrimshaw, K.Brooksby, M.Spencer
C: J.Schoenfeld, W.Brodie, M.Shaw
HF: B.Matera, C.Loersch, R.Davis
F: D.Macphearson, J.Grant, B.Ainsworth
R.: D.Currie, J.Bowes, B.Scheer

Int: M.Hallahan, Other GC Academy Prodcuts

Inj: M.Rischitelli, J.Harbrow, S.Day

If we can stay healthy and get back Rischi and Harbrow without any more massive losses on the injury front, we will be looking good.
You missed Nicholls and Ainsworth in the twos as well... I like your thoughts here, be nice to drip feed in the young talent, really make them earn it.. Also, guys like Joyce and Sexton and to a lesser degree Lonergan and Ahchee deserve first crack..

You missed Nicholls and Ainsworth in the twos as well... I like your thoughts here, be nice to drip feed in the young talent, really make them earn it.. Also, guys like Joyce and Sexton and to a lesser degree Lonergan and Ahchee deserve first crack..
Thanks, put Ainsworth in the forward pocket and forgot Nicholls cause he probably isn't going to be ready by Round 1.

I also think Ainsworth & Brodie will just miss out on Rd1 for bigger more experienced bodies.

Joyce/Lemmens/Bowes probs fighting for 2 spots in the backline.

B. Saad, May, Joyce
HB. Bowes, Thompson, Kolo
C. Swallow, Barlow, Rosa
HF. Ablett, Lynch, Martin
F. Ah Chee, Wright, Miller

R. Witts, Hanley, Hall

Int: Lyons, Sexton, Fiorini, Lonergan

Emg: Ainsworth, Brodie, Leslie, Lemmens

Return via NEAFL: McKenzie, Harbrow, Nicholls

Backline still a bit inexperienced as we saw against the Doggies when pressure steps up. But if our new midfield depth works hard and sweeps through down back, should alleviate the issue until Harbrow/McKenzie return.

Can always swing Hanley/Swallow onto the back flanks if really needed?

Without Harbs and TMac you can actually understand why Rocket is pushing Lemmens as hard as he can
The cupboards pretty bare down back
I think when there was so much injury carnage last year and we were desperately selecting anyone it was difficult to see what was really needed
We've solved the forwards and mids and key backs (jury still kind of out on Thommo) but now the focus will be on creating a premiership defence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without Harbs and TMac you can actually understand why Rocket is pushing Lemmens as hard as he can
I think when there was so much injury carnage last year and we were desperately selecting anyone it was difficult to see what was really needed
We've solved the forwards and mids and key backs (jury still kind of out on Thommo) but now the focus will be on creating a premiership defence

In theory I guess we had planned to still have Malceski on a backflank this season if his body didn't fall apart over the last 2yrs?

Should've focused on building the defence first.

I also think Ainsworth & Brodie will just miss out on Rd1 for bigger more experienced bodies.

Joyce/Lemmens/Bowes probs fighting for 2 spots in the backline.

B. Saad, May, Joyce
HB. Bowes, Thompson, Kolo
C. Swallow, Barlow, Rosa
HF. Ablett, Lynch, Martin
F. Ah Chee, Wright, Miller

R. Witts, Hanley, Hall

Int: Lyons, Sexton, Fiorini, Lonergan

Emg: Ainsworth, Brodie, Leslie, Lemmens

Return via NEAFL: McKenzie, Harbrow, Nicholls

Backline still a bit inexperienced as we saw against the Doggies when pressure steps up. But if our new midfield depth works hard and sweeps through down back, should alleviate the issue until Harbrow/McKenzie return.

Can always swing Hanley/Swallow onto the back flanks if really needed?

+1 for this line-up, although I think Ainsworth may start round 1, no idea who for though.

As for the defence, we've more or less got the pieces we want/need minus 1 or 2 exceptions, we just need to get them to gel as a unit which comes from playing together which is what we have struggled with over the last few years. Learning to play better team defence and working to players strengths like the Doggies do rather than 6v6 individually looking to shut down just their player. But that will come with time and experience and chemistry.

Eade is coaching for his coaching career in 2017 and knows anything less than a final eight position will see him moved on by Cochrane.

Accordingly the first game is a must win for Rocket against a team who is a contender for the wooden spoon.

Eade will not pick any first year players as they are not match hardened and need to earn their stripes in the reserves.

Unlikely McKenzie will be considered as he has not played a single JLT game. Any player returning from injury (Lonergan, Lemmens etc) would need to prove 100 percent they could get through a game without breaking down.

Joyce a lock in with a big question on Fiorini. Also I think Matera may get a call up if fit.

I guess there is also the chance Leslie stays in and plays as the 2nd key defender, allowing May to be the roaming 3rd tall rebounder crashing packs and causing general chaos? A bit like our set up versus the Doggies last Thursday.

I guess there is also the chance Leslie stays in and plays as the 2nd key defender, allowing May to be the roaming 3rd tall rebounder crashing packs and causing general chaos? A bit like our set up versus the Doggies last Thursday.

Will be horses for courses with Leslie , cant see him playing Brissy , they have a small forward line , think Schache is missing as well.

Hey guys, we're putting together a Fans Best 22 on our website.

If you're keen to provide your input, please email your round one team to gcsuns2015@gmail.com along with some reasoning behind your selections/omissions. Also send through your name/Twitter handle if you want a mention but feel free to remain anonymous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back