Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Wot????

Put D. Pearce up forward if you want someone who will hit the scoreboard regularly. Quite literally.

We currently have 13 players on our list who have kicked 30+ goals for Freo.

Their conversion rates look like this:

Taberner 41.19 (68.3%)

Walters 177.92 (65.8%)

Sandilands 92.52 (63.9%)

Crozier 31.19 (62%)

Johnson 63.40 (61.2%)

Ballantyne 221.148 (59.9%)

Fyfe 104.70 (59.8%)

Neale 43.30 (58.9%)

S. Hill 104.83 (55.6%)

Clarke 46.38 (54.8%)

Mundy 97.83 (53.9%)

Daylight

Suban 56.58 (49.1%)

Daylight

More daylight

D. Pearce 47.57 (45.2%)

If you throw in his Port Adelaide career, Pearce still converts at 47.5% (123.136).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the entire history of Fremantle Football Club we have had 56 players kick 30+ goals.

53 of those have converted at 50+%.

Only Suban, Troy Cook (47.5%) and D. Pearce are below 50%.

D. Pearce has the worst conversion rate of any player to have scored 30+ goals for FreoFC in the club's entire history.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NB: Troy Longmuir (36.16; 69.2%) has the highest conversion rate for the club (30+ career goals).

NBB: If you raise the bar to 50+ career goals, then Michael Walters is the club's all time dead-eye Richard.
So he IS elite at something.

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
All time holder of the Stevie Wonder Goalkicking Trophy.
Scientific analysis of DP's kicking action...

upload_2017-3-13_16-57-51.png

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If we've selected an athlete instead of a footballer with our first round pick I'll be seriously pissed off.

That being said, I thought he was reasonable enough on the weekend. It's just these comments about being a rower and 'needing to learn where to position himself' that worry me.
There is definitely a bit high risk/high return about Logue. I'm comfortable with that. We need match winners more than solid players I think.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
D. Pearce has the worst conversion rate of any player to have scored 30+ goals for FreoFC in the club's entire history.

I think that it's not so straight forward as the stat suggests.

A lot of his kicks are from 50+ meters, whereas players like Mayne weren't kicking from that distance, so Mayne needed an extra link in the possession chain to be able to take a shot. If every player that wasn't Danyle Pearce had a 60% conversion rate, but putting the ball forward only resulted in them being able to take a shot at goal 50% of the time because the ball was spoiled or intercepeted, Pearces 45% beats half of 60% (30%).

Possibly, Pearce had a licence from the coaches to take a long bomb at goal as it was more rewarding than our attempts to find forward targets.

youmewe

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think that it's not so straight forward as the stat suggests.

A lot of his kicks are from 50+ meters, whereas players like Mayne weren't kicking from that distance, so Mayne needed an extra link in the possession chain to be able to take a shot. If every player that wasn't Danyle Pearce had a 60% conversion rate, but putting the ball forward only resulted in them being able to take a shot at goal 50% of the time because the ball was spoiled or intercepeted, Pearces 45% beats half of 60% (30%).

Possibly, Pearce had a licence from the coaches to take a long bomb at goal as it was more rewarding than our attempts to find forward targets.

Yeah nah.

Mundy and S. Hill take far more long distance shots on goal than D. Pearce.

Most of Shaun McManus' shots on goal were play on, flour bag punts from anywhere and everywhere and yet he still managed to be above 50% (95.89; 51.6%).

If Shaunie Mc could stay above 50%, everyone else should too...and they do bar Pearce and Suban.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
60 metre goal of two steps on the run and under pressure. Wish the rest of the squad where s**t kicks like that .:rolleyes:

Listen, I have come here for some friendly conversation and if time permitting some playful banter. You are here, in my opinion, just to broadcast your bitterness. So Bitter because I come on here and drop truth bombs and not follow the crowd in acting like a one-eyed purple delinquent.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Listen, I have come here for some friendly conversation and if time permitting some playful banter. You are here, in my opinion, just to broadcast your bitterness. So Bitter because I come on here and drop truth bombs and not follow the crowd in acting like a one-eyed purple delinquent.

Comedy is not your go, dont give up your day job.

Grandstan

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah nah.

Mundy and S. Hill take far more long distance shots on goal than D. Pearce.

Most of Shaun McManus' shots on goal were play on, flour bag punts from anywhere and everywhere and yet he still managed to be above 50% (95.89; 51.6%).

If Shaunie Mc could stay above 50%, everyone else should too...and they do bar Pearce and Suban.

If you can't give us figures that break out set shots and distance this data is misleading.
In terms of roles, comparable players are Mundy, Suban and Hill (who would have thought Hill and Mundy are better shots at goal than Danyle!) but your stats tell us that Tabs and Sandi are better.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
If you can't give us figures that break out set shots and distance this data is misleading.
In terms of roles, comparable players are Mundy, Suban and Hill (who would have thought Hill and Mundy are better shots at goal than Danyle!) but your stats tell us that Tabs and Sandi are better.
Sandi convertion rate at goal is pretty good.

Last edited:

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interest bloke. If we really need to, I'm sure we can slot him in somewhere and I doubt he will look out of place. Of course, I agree that we should not compromise his development just for the sake of playing him.
However, I do remember how Neale got his start in the main team. He was the sub and I believe was meant to gain some match experience and go back wafl to develop. He continued to impress game after game and eventually etched himself firmly in the team.

I'm not sure why but I'm having the same good feeling about Logue. I'm going out on a limp here and predicting he will play at least 7 games this season.

Gussman

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be fair on D.Pearce, most of his shots on goal have been outside 50, getting a handball from Sandi or someone else, making the 45% more acceptable. How many times in his career has he been able to run into a open goal square or been able to even have a kick within 30 meters of the goal?

He isn't an accurate kick, but his role doesn't need him to be. His role is to get the ball inside 50 and probably does it better then anyone else on the team. Also I think that his ability to bomb it long contrasts nicely with B.Hill's ability to have a short accurate kick, making sure defenders stay on their toes, when both of then are on either wing. He's not a superstar but he isn't a bad player, and he'll probably hold a top 22 spot all year.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
There is definitely a bit high risk/high return about Logue. I'm comfortable with that. We need match winners more than solid players I think.

We had pick 3 in a very strong draft. If we traded down to a high risk high reward type I'd be very disappointed. There were other ways to get McCarthy we could have explored

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
To be fair on D.Pearce, most of his shots on goal have been outside 50, getting a handball from Sandi or someone else, making the 45% more acceptable. How many times in his career has he been able to run into a open goal square or been able to even have a kick within 30 meters of the goal?

He isn't an accurate kick, but his role doesn't need him to be. His role is to get the ball inside 50 and probably does it better then anyone else on the team. Also I think that his ability to bomb it long contrasts nicely with B.Hill's ability to have a short accurate kick, making sure defenders stay on their toes, when both of then are on either wing. He's not a superstar but he isn't a bad player, and he'll probably hold a top 22 spot all year.
We really don't know that until he is out of best 22. If he is out of best 22 for 5 match , and freo do better or worse then comparison can be make.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
We had pick 3 in a very strong draft. If we traded down to a high risk high reward type I'd be very disappointed. There were other ways to get McCarthy we could have explored

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't we get McCarthy, and the pick that secured Hamling and something else too. Was a ripper.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Very happy with the outcome. As always prefer logue to play in JlT and fix area he need to improve in wafl .I still think is the best freo pick.

Last edited:
Back