Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
fwiw, this is an opinion I've held about Lloyd for much longer than I knew about player ratings. I've always found him a bit beige, since '14. I won't deny he's an incredible runner, but he's ordinary defensively and far less damaging with his kicking than he should be for someone in his role.

I bet they're using something similar, actually. Something that goes beyond "x disposals".

Seriously, watch his game. He runs hard, and doesn't produce much. He should be a play-maker, but he's not.
I did watch, hence my post. They don't do ratings mate, they use data such as distance covered, one percenters, positioning, pressure acts, spot ups etc etc. Got nothing to do with 6pts for a kick, 3 for a hand pass, minus for a clanger or 10 for pissing in a cup!

fwiw, this is an opinion I've held about Lloyd for much longer than I knew about player ratings. I've always found him a bit beige, since '14. I won't deny he's an incredible runner, but he's ordinary defensively and far less damaging with his kicking than he should be for someone in his role.
I guess my argument against McVeigh has merit then! I will acknowledge he (McVeigh) had a great game today.

Really liking his role change to half-back.

Can use his above average kicking skills and decision making more creatively and can be 85% uncontested which probably suits him.

Every team needs a Jake Lloyd

Consistent

And will occasionally pull a game out of his rear and have a rippa, tighten the gap between best and worst and as punts say bit of disposal improvement would be great, but that should happen

Just needs to kick over 20m so he can start to hurt the opposition more
Big plus if he can become a good consistent outlet ala Rampe, Eski, Macca etc. I think that suits him bigtime. Run his opponents off their feet, straight up the guts zig zagging traffic or flying around out of a back pocket up a wing... Using him in the middle or fwd is a waste IMO.

Every team needs a Jake Lloyd

Consistent

And will occasionally pull a game out of his rear and have a rippa, tighten the gap between best and worst and as punts say bit of disposal improvement would be great, but that should happen

Agree. He consistently improves too. I was a bit of a doubter at first (although I never bagged him) but he's become quite a calm and intelligent user of the ball. He's also a lot tougher than he looks.

Big plus if he can become a good consistent outlet ala Rampe, Eski, Macca etc. I think that suits him bigtime. Run his opponents off their feet, straight up the guts zig zagging traffic or flying around out of a back pocket up a wing... Using him in the middle or fwd is a waste IMO.

you must talking about jones as the number 1 myth on here is that lloyd has damaging pace. he has stamina.

i'd like to know of an example of an afl player who has been in the system as long as lloyd that suddenly goes from a safety first chipper to a damaging user of the football.

for what it is worth this is also why i prefer storm boy to marsh. hawthorn didn't have to carry a lloyd in there back half and neither did the bulldogs. there is not one contender this year that would have him in there best 22.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree with his above average kicking skills. Anyone that's watched him play enough would know that he's horrible at kick ins and total crap under any pressure.

On the run I think he is a wonderful field kick.

He struggles to kick the ball off the mark or when he is at a stand still.

you must talking about jones as the number 1 myth on here is that lloyd has damaging pace. he has stamina.

i'd like to know of an example of an afl player who has been in the system as long as lloyd that suddenly goes from a safety first chipper to a damaging user of the football.

for what it is worth this is also why i prefer storm boy to marsh. hawthorn didn't have to carry a lloyd in there back half and neither did the bulldogs. there is not one contender this year that would have him in there best 22.

This is just wrong...Lloyd would walk into every team in the competition. Also, nice new username...

wrong in your opinion or are you some kind of god like certain others on here.

btw, i said teams in contention.

so of the teams in contention (you said he would WALK into any other team in the comp), gws, bulldogs come to mind, who would he replace in those sides?

nice diversion but my user name has nothing to do with this thread.

wrong in your opinion or are you some kind of god like certain others on here.

btw, i said teams in contention.

so of the teams in contention (you said he would WALK into any other team in the comp), gws, bulldogs come to mind, who would he replace in those sides?

nice diversion but my user name has nothing to do with this thread.

Not a diversion, I just find it curious when people create new profiles on here for seemingly no reason yet continue to bag the same players mercilessly.

From the 'Dogs GF team, he is currently a better player than Daniel, Dunkley, McLean. On par with the likes of Biggs, Smith etc.

From the Giants PF team, he is currently a better player than Hopper and Palmer. On par with Wilson, Griffen.

Not a diversion, I just find it curious when people create new profiles on here for seemingly no reason yet continue to bag the same players mercilessly.

That isn't your concern, other users are not a topic for discussion on the board. Things are more relaxed in the BSB, but best to stick to talking footy here.

From the 'Dogs GF team, he is currently a better player than Daniel, Dunkley, McLean. On par with the likes of Biggs, Smith etc.

From the Giants PF team, he is currently a better player than Hopper and Palmer. On par with Wilson, Griffen.
Maybe not Daniel

Maybe not Daniel

I think he was massively overrated last year due to all the media hype surround the Bulldogs and the way that he epitomised their underdog image due to his size and the helmet etc. However in time I think he will become a better player than Lloyd.

Its funny how people have different perceptions of players. I would have Nathan Wilson streets ahead of Lloyd. (Not saying your wrong, just my view)

create profiles with no reason? i don't even know what this means but i created a profile to talk about footy.

i'd rather have any of those players than lloyd. i'm not bagging him anymore than others bag reid, cunningham towers etc... it is not personal though most people with a differing point of view on here act like he is there only child. i just don't think he has what we need.

mclean is a mid forward, dunkley a mid forward, palmer plays for carlton and is also a mid forward, hopper is a mid forward. griffen! wilson along with griffen (ocassionally) are the only ones who play at half back like lloyd does now. wilson has pace and a damaging kick. this is what i believe we need.

daniel is the only one who comes close but i still think he has more upside and is a better kick than lloyd.

Its funny how people have different perceptions of players. I would have Nathan Wilson streets ahead of Lloyd. (Not saying your wrong, just my view)

Wilson's best is pretty awesome but he's fairly inconsistent, Lloyd had a significantly better year statistically but Wilson's speed and kicking penetration makes him a more dangerous prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back