Opinion Round 1 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys feel about moving Weller into the forwardline to replace Ballas. Would take quite a bit of speed and rebound out of defense, but Weller could very easily slot into that pressure forward role. He also has a good sense of goal.

To replace Weller in defense we could use Logue or Croz. I think Luke Ryan is injured or something, but if he is good to go round 1, he's also an option.
If weller plays up forward, it will be on a forward flank.

Here is my Preferred Forward line for round 1...

HF: Weller, McCarthy, Langdon/Crozier/Brad Hill
FF: Walters, Kersten, Griffin

Weller to HF, croz as sma forward, Hughes as HB.

Ibbo and Hughes ( intercepted opposition ) sure win .

I just watched the Carlton game again and Dawson just doesn't do enough on the rebound. We need more bounce out of D50 imo.

This has always been the main issue and that sh!t handball to a player in a worse position than him.

On the positive side, I can't think of many better players to play a totally defensive role on Hawkins. If you have a kid on Hawkins he will kick 10.

How do you guys feel about moving Weller into the forwardline to replace Ballas. Would take quite a bit of speed and rebound out of defense, but Weller could very easily slot into that pressure forward role. He also has a good sense of goal.

To replace Weller in defense we could use Logue or Croz. I think Luke Ryan is injured or something, but if he is good to go round 1, he's also an option.

Happy to see one of Weller, Langdon and Crozier in the Ballas role. They all have good leg speed (Langdon/Weller very quick), have shown good run down tackling skills and are all reasonable shots on goal. I like Ballas but we are seriously not without options and more importantly one of these three (or a new player) will need to take over next year or the year after. All these players are a better mark than Ballas for obvious reasons!!

I just watched the Carlton game again and Dawson just doesn't do enough on the rebound. We need more bounce out of D50 imo.

You'd let him run loose all day back there on any turnover, he just slows down the delivery and allows the ball to be denied to skilled distributors.

If I was Zac I'd be growing a 70's pr0n moustache as he would want to be fisting the ball away like he'd signed a long term movie deal on Ass Intruders I, II & III - if he wants to hold his place in the team.

I like Weller forward. Kicked four against Brisbane and picked up the rising star nomination, too. In saying that though, Tabs kicked five? against Brisbane and hasn't done much too much since then.

I think Weller is a better forward. But what would i know. He'll definitely play back, as his natural game is forward. Just like Blakely being played out of posi.

Crazy
To me our most dominant team recently was the early 2015,
here what was our line up against Sydney in round 4

FREMANTLE
B: Cameron Sutcliffe, Luke McPharlin, Lee Spurr
HB: Garrick Ibbotson, Michael Johnson, Nick Suban
C: Paul Duffield, Nat Fyfe, Matt de Boer
HF: Danyle Pearce, Matthew Pavlich, Matt Taberner
F: Zac Clarke, Chris Mayne, Michael Walters
FOL: Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Stephen Hill
I/C: Michael Barlow, Lachie Neale, Clancee Pearce
SUB: Tendai Mzungu

Here is my expected round 1

FB: Spurr, Dawson, Ibbotson
HB: Weller, Hamling, Johnson
C: B Hill, Mundy, S Hill
HF: Langdon, Kersten, Crozier
FF: Walters, McCarthy, Griffin
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Neale
I/C: Blakely, D Pearce, Tucker, Sutcliffe

Matched and rated changes:
Luke McPharlin > Hamling
Paul Duffield > Weller
Nick Suban < B Hill
Matt de Boer < Tucker
Matthew Pavlich > McCarthy
Matt Taberner < Kersten
Zac Clarke < Griffin
Chris Mayne = Crozier
Michael Barlow > Blakely
Clancee Pearce != Dawson
Tendai Mzungu != Langdon

Some of veterans that are still playing are not as good anymore but on the flip side there has been significant improvement to a number of players who were still young in 2015. My <,>,= ratings don't really show the extent that some players are better or worse, on the whole we are well below the 2015 team but a large contributor to that is lack of experience and the age gap.

The game has changed in 2 years but one the whole our changes reflect that, we are significantly faster and younger compared to the 2015 team.
A lot of players have very limited time playing together in the past year, which will make team cohesion a big difference from the 2015 team.
To me our most dominant team recently was the early 2015,
here what was our line up against Sydney in round 4

FREMANTLE
B: Cameron Sutcliffe, Luke McPharlin, Lee Spurr
HB: Garrick Ibbotson, Michael Johnson, Nick Suban
C: Paul Duffield, Nat Fyfe, Matt de Boer
HF: Danyle Pearce, Matthew Pavlich, Matt Taberner
F: Zac Clarke, Chris Mayne, Michael Walters
FOL: Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Stephen Hill
I/C: Michael Barlow, Lachie Neale, Clancee Pearce
SUB: Tendai Mzungu

Here is my expected round 1

FB: Spurr, Dawson, Ibbotson
HB: Weller, Hamling, Johnson
C: B Hill, Mundy, S Hill
HF: Langdon, Kersten, Crozier
FF: Walters, McCarthy, Griffin
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Neale
I/C: Blakely, D Pearce, Tucker, Sutcliffe

Matched and rated changes:
Luke McPharlin > Hamling
Paul Duffield > Weller
Nick Suban < B Hill
Matt de Boer < Tucker
Matthew Pavlich > McCarthy
Matt Taberner < Kersten
Zac Clarke < Griffin
Chris Mayne = Crozier
Michael Barlow > Blakely
Clancee Pearce != Dawson
Tendai Mzungu != Langdon

Some of veterans that are still playing are not as good anymore but on the flip side there has been significant improvement to a number of players who were still young in 2015. My <,>,= ratings don't really show the extent that some players are better or worse, on the whole we are well below the 2015 team but a large contributor to that is lack of experience and the age gap.

The game has changed in 2 years but one the whole our changes reflect that, we are significantly faster and younger compared to the 2015 team.
A lot of players have very limited time playing together in the past year, which will make team cohesion a big difference from the 2015 team.
Can't believe all those changes in 2 years considering where that team took us, but pretty exciting with the unknown potential this new line up has. I hope hamling can replace mcpharlin but ham strikes me as a defender who relys on team pressure. Just wondering if you can squeeze logue into that line up, he's a top ten first rounder we haven't had for a while, I'd hate to see being wasted in the 2's?

I think Weller is a better forward. But what would i know. He'll definitely play back, as his natural game is forward. Just like Blakely being played out of posi.
I think I'm the only one that hates the idea of playing Blakely as a forward flanker and Hilly in the guts. If one of Fyfe, Neale or Mundy need a rest, put Blakely in the guts from the bench. It's good that Hilly has the flexibility to play inside to either break a tag or give someone a rest but when we have other players on the list whose trade is in the guts, play them there. Hilly is most damaging receiving the ball on the run and getting to inside 50.

Edit: After moving on Barlow, Gu and De Boer, we actually don't have that much inside mid depth. Langdon and Tucker are both better on the outside and Susan is Susan.

I think I'm the only one that hates the idea of playing Blakely as a forward flanker and Hilly in the guts. If one of Fyfe, Neale or Mundy need a rest, put Blakely in the guts from the bench. It's good that Hilly has the flexibility to play inside to either break a tag or give someone a rest but when we have other players on the list whose trade is in the guts, play them there. Hilly is most damaging receiving the ball on the run and getting to inside 50.

Edit: After moving on Barlow, Gu and De Boer, we actually don't have that much inside mid depth. Langdon and Tucker are both better on the outside and Susan is Susan.

I don't mind Blakely forward, he knows how to win the footy and if we get it in quickly ....you'd hope there would be a bit of contested ball to be won.

I'd like to see him getting at least 1/4 in the midfield too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't get the argument that Blakely should always play on ball because otherwise he is playing out of position. There are only so many spots on field.

Fyfe, Neale and Mundy are all better inside mids than Blakely so if we shift them off the ball aren't we then playing them out of position?

Of course these guys can't play an entire game on ball so when they rotate out then Blakely is in the mix for replacing them (part of the inside rotation). And he still spent some time on ball in the JLT series - just not as much as he did in the 2016 season when Fyfe was injured and Mundy was played more at half back (ie when we only won 4 games total)

And the JLT stats are also pretty clear that SHill has been a lot more productive playing on ball than when on the wing (but he needs quality around him imo - so 2 of 3 best above to be effective). But like Blakely he isn't as good inside as Fyfe, Neale and Mundy so he'd be in the mix for rotating in and is best lining up as an outside mid if those 3 are all 100% fit.

I suspect they are considering Tucker being part of the inside rotation as well given he has been quite good at winning the ball. Not currently in our B22 are Bennell, Balic, Grey and even Deluca who all have an inside game - especially Balic who I believe is the best inside mid of all our youngsters. I think we have some reasonable depth there but it will take a couple of years - meanwhile Mundy is the only inside mid likely to leave anytime soon so excluding injuries there are limited opportunities, hence why I suspect we let go of Barlow, de Boer etc. As much as I loved Barlow I think he would have continued playing out of position if still on our list this season.

I don't know why people want blakely to play inside mid in afl.tucker is been develop into s.hill outside role when hill move inside . I see tucker had more upside than blakely eventually .

Really meima?
Not really technical reason Neale ,fyfe,s.hill, mundy all better than blakely. Having s.hill playing outside will stop tucker development also.

In Blakely's defence, he is only 21.

edit - And Blakely >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lamb :D (in any position)
I still think playing him HF Is the best development for him . he might not be good , at least he is in best 22 , playing in the gut will come as fyfe , Neale , mundy, s.hill will not be having 100% game time in as inside mid.

I still think playing him HF Is the best development for him

Playing HF for us is a good way to be delisted. Of all the people we've tried there, only Crozier and Suban remain on the list. The position in our game plan is such a Bermuda Triangle for getting into the game. It doesn't matter who we play there, they never impact the game. Typically they are lucky to get 10 disposals for the game in that position. It's a testament to Barlow's ball sense that he was able to average 20-25 while playing there.

De Boer, Barlow, Mzungu have all played there in the past and now they're all gone. Crozier and Suban have played there in the past and as a result are now playing for Peel. I feel incredibly sorry for whoever gets that role in round 1 because history suggests they'll be out of the side before long.

Playing HF for us is a good way to be delisted. Of all the people we've tried there, only Crozier and Suban remain on the list. The position in our game plan is such a Bermuda Triangle for getting into the game. It doesn't matter who we play there, they never impact the game.

De Boer, Barlow, Mzungu have all played there in the past and now they're all gone. Crozier and Suban have played there in the past and as a result are now playing for Peel. I feel incredibly sorry for whoever gets that role in round 1 because history suggests they'll be out of the side before long.
I try to please people as if blakely is not in best 22 . He will be playing wafl , blakely biggest weakness is his kicking even in wafl ( no doubt he will get a lot of possession)

Playing HF for us is a good way to be delisted. Of all the people we've tried there, only Crozier and Suban remain on the list. The position in our game plan is such a Bermuda Triangle for getting into the game. It doesn't matter who we play there, they never impact the game. Typically they are lucky to get 10 disposals for the game in that position. It's a testament to Barlow's ball sense that he was able to average 20-25 while playing there.

vC9BNaF.png

I still don't get the argument that Blakely should always play on ball because otherwise he is playing out of position. There are only so many spots on field.

Fyfe, Neale and Mundy are all better inside mids than Blakely so if we shift them off the ball aren't we then playing them out of position?

Of course these guys can't play an entire game on ball so when they rotate out then Blakely is in the mix for replacing them (part of the inside rotation). And he still spent some time on ball in the JLT series - just not as much as he did in the 2016 season when Fyfe was injured and Mundy was played more at half back (ie when we only won 4 games total)

And the JLT stats are also pretty clear that SHill has been a lot more productive playing on ball than when on the wing (but he needs quality around him imo - so 2 of 3 best above to be effective). But like Blakely he isn't as good inside as Fyfe, Neale and Mundy so he'd be in the mix for rotating in and is best lining up as an outside mid if those 3 are all 100% fit.

I suspect they are considering Tucker being part of the inside rotation as well given he has been quite good at winning the ball. Not currently in our B22 are Bennell, Balic, Grey and even Deluca who all have an inside game - especially Balic who I believe is the best inside mid of all our youngsters. I think we have some reasonable depth there but it will take a couple of years - meanwhile Mundy is the only inside mid likely to leave anytime soon so excluding injuries there are limited opportunities, hence why I suspect we let go of Barlow, de Boer etc. As much as I loved Barlow I think he would have continued playing out of position if still on our list this season.

Blakely & Neale are inside inside, Mundy is inside kinda hurt you on the outer bit of the inside and Fyfe is whatever the **** he wants to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back