List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that confuses me a bit in this discussion of half backs is that Darcy Tucker was drafted as an attacking half back and we have chosen not to play him there - this from the afl site prior to his draft:

With his zip and drive from half-back, Tucker can set up play up the ground for his team. He's comfortable with the ball and backs himself with his left foot, and enjoys taking the game on, having a bounce and finding a teammate.

This year he averaged nearly 23 disposals in the TAC Cup, which included five rebound 50s a game. He also picked up nearly nine handball receives an outing, highlighting his ability to attract the ball and provide some run. He likes to baulk opponents, create some room and then take off.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-...ding-gun-with-a-lethal-left-foot-darcy-tucker

If that doesn't sound like exactly what we need I don't know what does.
I think tucker play d.pearce and ibbo role when they are rotate out. The problem is d pearce and ibbo is one dimension instead of like tucker hybrid.need more of tucker .

Last edited:
What exactly has Weller done that screams "star"?

He has the occasional good kick.

He doesn't get enough ball, doesn't position right. He's been moved to the back line for two reasons. One we don't have enough good kicks there. Two, like Crozier, he needs the ball coming at him...
People seem less certain on Langdon and Blakely, although both have had games at WAFL level and AFL where you know they're going to make it.

He seems to be uncertain with his decision making.
Case in point he ran hard to receive the ball running into the forward line in the week end, crossed the fifty and then tried to pass the ball and shanked it badly.
He's usually a reasonable kick...why wasn't that sailing over the umpire's hat?

Come at me E Shed :D

I get that you don't think he'll be a star but IMO you're underselling his talent quite a bit with your first two sentences. He's no bum. Cherrypicking one of his stuffups reeks a little of confirmation bias.

Your criticism are valid but he's played two seasons ffs! one of which was a complete disaster for the team and not at all conducive to slightly built, outside types succeeding. I think the reason people are more uncertain over him than a Blakely or langdon is because we still don't know what his best position is. Hopefully he can settle as a HB, I feel like I'm going crazy repeating this all the time but stability is so important for a developing player, pick a specific role for him and have him stick to it for a whole season. I reckon "role security" will be the first step in him realising his potential.

The thing that confuses me a bit in this discussion of half backs is that Darcy Tucker was drafted as an attacking half back and we have chosen not to play him there - this from the afl site prior to his draft:

With his zip and drive from half-back, Tucker can set up play up the ground for his team. He's comfortable with the ball and backs himself with his left foot, and enjoys taking the game on, having a bounce and finding a teammate.

This year he averaged nearly 23 disposals in the TAC Cup, which included five rebound 50s a game. He also picked up nearly nine handball receives an outing, highlighting his ability to attract the ball and provide some run. He likes to baulk opponents, create some room and then take off.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-...ding-gun-with-a-lethal-left-foot-darcy-tucker

If that doesn't sound like exactly what we need I don't know what does.

whynotboth.mexicangirl

I think the club sees him as something more than a HBF'er but I do agree it'd be nice to see him get an extended run back there. I have no issues if he's being played as a mid instead though.

Players are still developing their bodies, skills and knowledge. Where they played prior to the draft is a guide only. It's not like you can pick players simply by position in the draft.

Pity we can't take him as a 17yo but he'll train with us again later this year. Can't wait to see his kind of speed and x-factor off half back.

Suspect we'll also be keeping a close eye on Jarrod Garlett @ South Freo.

Jason Carter, Ed Langdon, Lachie Weller, Stephen Hill, Bradley Hill, Harley Bennell, Jarrod Garlett and Michael Walters (not for his speed) sounds mouth watering combination of speed and x-factor to me. Crozier's no slouch either if he can secure Ross' favour this season.

Guys. Before burning me at the stake hear me out. Trading Weller to St Kilda for a first round pick is a good idea and should be looked at.

It'll give us two first round draft picks which we can try to use on JJ and McGovern. Not only that but with Jason Carter being part of the academy we can get a solid-looking replace in a years time.

As much as I think Weller is going to be a future gun, a trade to St Kilda could be beneficial to the team.

If neither JJ or McGovern try to come home then I don't see a point in trading Weller.

Guys. Before burning me at the stake hear me out. Trading Weller to St Kilda for a first round pick is a good idea and should be looked at.

It'll give us two first round draft picks which we can try to use on JJ and McGovern. Not only that but with Jason Carter being part of the academy we can get a solid-looking replace in a years time.

As much as I think Weller is going to be a future gun, a trade to St Kilda could be beneficial to the team.

If neither JJ or McGovern try to come home then I don't see a point in trading Weller.
I will trade weller and blakely out for both jj and Mitch. But that only prove Ross can't develop young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's contracted to end of 2018. Can't see us looking to trade him this year as his value is more likely to go up the longer we keep him.

That may be true, but JJ and McGovern are both out of contact this year and if we where to go after both we would need more then just the 1 first rounder we have right now. We also don't have a second rounder due to the trade of picks with GC last years, so I think it's definitely an option worth looking at, especially if we are going after both JJ and McGovern.

That may be true, but JJ and McGovern are both out of contact this year and if we where to go after both we would need more then just the 1 first rounder we have right now. We also don't have a second rounder due to the trade of picks with GC last years, so I think it's definitely an option worth looking at, especially if we are going after both JJ and McGovern.
Has JJ expressed any interest in returning to WA? He appears happily settled at WB's.

McGovern too, looks likely to stay in SA. His manager will no doubt beat the 'go home' drum as loudly as possible in order to boost his contract value. If he did return to WA, West Coast would have to be his preferred choice.

If we trade Weller the 'should've drafted Lever' brigade will be out in force.
That's me, three from the left in the second last row.
images

Last edited:
The club seems to be pretty clear that they only trade players who request it.
Maybe joining maverick like b.hill joing s.hill , a request is a positibility same with Langdon. The only thing that make them stay is success ( make them feel like they belong to the club) and good paid.

So, let me get this right. We have 1st round busts coming out our ears (Morabito, Pitt, Apeness, Simpson, Palmer), we finally get one that hits and we want to trade him out? Please no.
All I can said is let weller play HB the whole season with occasion throwing forward . Playing a player still developing his game here and there will make him insecure about his position in the team . Stop being critical and allow all these young player develop, so they feel they belong to the team . if people critical and don't have time to develop then trade is the best option.

Has JJ expressed any interest in returning to WA?

It was talked about on the Bulldogs board, back in Jan i think, because JJ is out of contract.

However most of them where delusionally talking about trading him for Fyfe.

Edit: They are still talking about it but are more confident in JJ resigning.

Last edited:
Got a weird feeling Balic will request a trade at the end of the year. Anyone else got that feeling or is it just me?
People get all sorts of feelings. Ballantyne is still here, Mundy and Pavlich never left, and people would have had feelings about those at the time. Balic has been pretty well looked after and I can see a transition where Mundy retires, Blakely goes full time inside mid, Balic half forward inside mid.

Regardless, he needs to put together a good year starting at Peel.

Got a weird feeling Balic will request a trade at the end of the year. Anyone else got that feeling or is it just me?

I did/do have some doubts.

But he seems like he's fitting in very well making friends in the playing group, especially with Bennell. See below a pic with Bennell's mum.

Posted yesterday.

upload_2017-3-16_13-30-37.png

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back