Opinion Round 1 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blakely & Neale are inside inside, Mundy is inside kinda hurt you on the outer bit of the inside and Fyfe is whatever the **** he wants to be.
If the season goes **** up early, i'd like to see Ross play Fyfe play 50% forward 50% in the guts. If Fyfe improves his set shot he has the potential to be one of the best CHF in the comp. He already has the size, strength and marking ability.

Blakely & Neale are inside inside, Mundy is inside kinda hurt you on the outer bit of the inside and Fyfe is whatever the **** he wants to be.

Dunno about that Moo, I've seen Mundy be a beast on the inside personally. I'll never forget when he took the GF on in that 3rd qtr. Almost single handedly got us back in the game.

Hey guys just wanted to here your opinion on ballas being out for an extended period , is it goin hurt us , r we gonna lose games footy because of his absence? Is crozier a no brainer as a replacement?

Hey guys just wanted to here your opinion on ballas being out for an extended period , is it goin hurt us , r we gonna lose games footy because of his absence? Is crozier a no brainer as a replacement?
1. yes
2. potentially, probably
3. no, he'd be my first in line but i wouldn't be surprised to see Suban, Shez or even Grey come in

Dunno about that Moo, I've seen Mundy be a beast on the inside personally. I'll never forget when he took the GF on in that 3rd qtr. Almost single handedly got us back in the game.

I'm not doubting his ability to be inside just in my view Neale & Connor aren't breaking any lines where Mundy doesn't mind that wind in his hair occasionally

I'm not doubting his ability to be inside just in my view Neale & Connor aren't breaking any lines where Mundy doesn't mind that wind in his hair occasionally
Blakely kicking is nowhere near fyfe ,Neale,mundy ,s.hill quality and his defensive side game still need some work.

QUOTE="DaveLister, post: 49133922, member: 170341"]1. yes
2. potentially, probably
3. no, he'd be my first in line but i wouldn't be surprised to see Suban, Shez or even Grey come in[/QUOTE]
Whats going on with shez he had a good game against bontempelli last year at pavs fair well kept him accountable, and now he seems to be on the outer?

QUOTE="DaveLister, post: 49133922, member: 170341"]1. yes
2. potentially, probably
3. no, he'd be my first in line but i wouldn't be surprised to see Suban, Shez or even Grey come in
Whats going on with shez he had a good game against bontempelli last year at pavs fair well kept him accountable, and now he seems to be on the outer?[/QUOTE]
If you are thinking about fantasy points , select sherriden is a must. Come Afl season ross will select him regardless of form .

Whats going on with shez he had a good game against bontempelli last year at pavs fair well kept him accountable, and now he seems to be on the outer?
Not sure, but every time I see him all I can think is "soft". He doesn't seems to run hard, he doesn't seem to tackle hard and doesn't seem to hit the play hard. I had great hopes for him, because when he is running and carrying the ball he looks great, but I just don;'t think he is "tough" enough.

He could do with working with Brady Grey for a few months.

Not sure, but every time I see him all I can think is "soft". He doesn't seems to run hard, he doesn't seem to tackle hard and doesn't seem to hit the play hard. I had great hopes for him, because when he is running and carrying the ball he looks great, but I just don;'t think he is "tough" enough.

He could do with working with Brady Grey for a few months.
He reminds me of a Wet Toast midfielder, vanilla.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't get the argument that Blakely should always play on ball because otherwise he is playing out of position. There are only so many spots on field.

Fyfe, Neale and Mundy are all better inside mids than Blakely so if we shift them off the ball aren't we then playing them out of position?

A game of footy is 80 minutes + time on, so lets say there's 240 minutes available in the midfield (the 3 midfielders combined). Lachie clearly plays his best footy onball, so lets allocate 70 minutes there. I'd split the other 170 minutes evenly between Fyfe, Mundy, Hill and Blakely, so that they all spend roughly half the game on-ball and half the game in other roles (Fyfe and Blakely forward, Hill on the wing, Mundy on a HBF).

Starting a quarter with Sandilands, Mundy, Fyfe and Blakely in the middle is pretty imposing. What's the height/weight average there, around 195cm and 95kg??

I was just reading AFL top 50 players as voted by players. I really feel it is time that Stephen Hill dominated a season to get into that top group of players. At this stage of his career I don't think he has consistently imposed his considerable skills and talent onto the competition.

I am hoping this will be the year and that both Hill brothers drive each other to the next level. If it happens our time in bottom 8 will be very short as we will have the best mid field in the competition. ye ha happy days coming

I was just reading AFL top 50 players as voted by players. I really feel it is time that Stephen Hill dominated a season to get into that top group of players. At this stage of his career I don't think he has consistently imposed his considerable skills and talent onto the competition.

I am hoping this will be the year and that both Hill brothers drive each other to the next level. If it happens our time in bottom 8 will be very short as we will have the best mid field in the competition. ye ha happy days coming
Agree. How often does Stephen scream down the wing to HF, then slow down looking for a non-existent forward target. Take the game by the throat and kick the damn goal young man!

Remember Geelong in '13 - what a thing of beauty.

Hopefully Brad will bring Stephen out of his shell a little bit. Stephen with the arrogance of Brad would be scary...

Last edited:
Hilly's team work rate and general contribution have long been underappreciated.Naturally we will see further improvement in him with better players around him providing options and other targets for the opposition.Already forging a very healthy combo with Billy.
Remember he lived with a permanent hard tag from the age of 18.
Most teams would come in against us with 'STOP STEPHEN' strategies.I'm happy for him to continue developing the way he is but to take the shots on goal when they are there.
I expect him to be quite damaging on the counter this season after winning his own ball.Pace,evasiveness and playmaking from the inside is a real weapon.
I still don't believe his team running and defensive work are really appreciated.
I may be off the track 'cos I've always rated his contribution.
I know he was runner up for the Doig last year but I imagine he's always got votes.

He's definitely got the right environment to shine, now. He doesn't have to do as much 'lifting' as he used to, with Fyfe, Neale and Mundy in the middle and Billy on the other wing (and hopefully Bennell rotating through the middle and forward), the opposition really do have to prioritise who they pay close attention to, while the others run rampant (hopefully). Hilly has also learned to cope with a tag and win his own ball so he can drag his opponent in the middle and hopefully his teammates can put a block on for Hilly to win the ball.

Teams often shutdown an inside player and also an outside player. Our inside player is clearly Fyfe, our outsider is clearly Stephen. Moving Stephen inside is clever, he won't be sat on, And I think Brad can outrun most taggers on the outside.

To be fair Crosier has had an interrupted pre season, was in rehab for a fair while. Probably needs time in the WAFL to catch up on his fitness.

Last edited:
Afl website chose this Freo side for round 1...

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-03-15/aflcomau-picks-freos-round-one-side

B: Lee Spurr, Hamling, Dawson
HB: Sutcliffe, Johnson, Weller
C: B Hill, Mundy, S Hill
HF: Langdon, kersten, D Pearce
FF: Walters, McCarthy,Griffin
Foll:Sandi, Fyfe, Neale

Bench: Blakely, Ibbo, Tucker, Crozier.

That isn't a bd side to be honest. Actually Switch Weller and Dan Pearce around and that would be the 22 I want.

B: Spurr Dawson Jonno
HB: Weller Hamling Sutty
C: Hill Fyfe Hill
HF: Tucker Kerstin Langdon
F: Walters McCarthy Croz
R: Sandi Neale Mundy

Inter: Blakely, Danyle, Griff, Ibbo

Emerg: Sheridan, Suban, Tabs, Logue, Cox.

Pretty close to that side. Same 22 or squad which I think is fairly obvious now, just the actual positions are up for debate.

FB: Spurr - Dawson - Hamling
HB: Sutcliffe - MJ - Ibbo
C: Hilly - Fyfe - Billy
HF: Langdon - McCarthy - D. Pearce
FF: Griffin - Kersten - Sonny
R: Sandi - Neale - Mundy
I/C: Blakely - Weller - Tucker - Sheridan

EMG: Susan - Croz - Collins
Same squad as I had, except for Croz and Sherro.

I think we all have a pretty good idea now, just a matter of switching a few players which we all agree are interchangeable.

Afl website chose this Freo side for round 1...

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-03-15/aflcomau-picks-freos-round-one-side

C: B Hill, Mundy, S Hill
HF: Langdon, kersten, D Pearce
FF: Walters, McCarthy,Griffin
Foll:Sandi, Fyfe, Neale

Bench: Blakely, Ibbo, Tucker, Crozier.

That isn't a bd side to be honest. Actually Switch Weller and Dan Pearce around and that would be the 22 I want.

If that backline isn't the most average going around I don't know what is.

Weller is a good kick, Johnson can be a good kick and Hamling is adequate.

The other three are turn over city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back