Twilight Grand Final all but confirmed - but actually no!

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure 1999 started at something like 3:20pm as mentioned above.

The presentation at the end was the most rushed you've ever seen and they had about 30 seconds of footage off the podium then cut to the 6pm news.
That never made sense to me. They're rushing through presentations etc so that they can give the news of the day by 6pm, which is going to be all about the Grand Final anyway.

I looked at my clock yesterday and twilight was about 8pm.
I thought to myself "What a wonderful time to play a game of football!"
So I'm all for a twilight Grand Final ... at 8pm.

Yep, me too.
Been to a few NRL grand finals and the atmosphere as the sun sets is freaking amazing.
Couldn't give a * about the sun setting. I went last year to watch the game and I'd only go in the future to watch the game. The best atmosphere is an organic one, not one the AFL is trying to create with cute sunsets and wanky pre game entertainment - that said, the post match show which was done last year and anyone can enter the stadium for it, certainly adds to the day for the winning supporters and can get back early enough to have more than a few drinks at a pub in the City or Richmond.

It's really got nothing to do with footy or entertainment looking better at night or under lights, thats just a headline to get the people going... (and it works)
The real reason is the TV ratings, twilight/night rates way higher around Aus especially in the northern states and is a more resanable start time in WA. Look up how many more veiwers watched the NRL grand final when they switched from Saturday arvo to Sunday night.
At the end of the day its promoting the game to more people wich results in growth of the sport so i really dont see the big deal.

Last edited:
I don't mind a twilight GF, it would mean the game starts at about 2.30pm here in WA rather than 12.30pm which is way too early.

I'd love to reminisce about the 2012 twilight prelim but the setting sun meant I couldn't see a farkin' thing for half the game.
If you're in the ponsford, mcc or olympic stand you're laughing. GSS...don't even bother.

The umpires couldn't see a thing either going by the standard of umpiring in that game.

Do the they take into consideration the thoughts of police, emergency services etc etc for things like this?
Be interesting to know their thoughts on 100,000 extra fans " celebrating " at fulltime not to mention the extra people at pubs and clubs all in the city at fulltime.
Usually under the cover of darkness people behave worse.

I for one enjoy the day, bbq lunch with our kids, friends and family, watch the footy and have it all done by early evening.

Do the they take into consideration the thoughts of police, emergency services etc etc for things like this?
Be interesting to know their thoughts on 100,000 extra fans " celebrating " at fulltime not to mention the extra people at pubs and clubs all in the city at fulltime.

I for one enjoy the day, bbq lunch with our kids, friends and family, watch the footy and have it all done by early evening.

Yeah because everyone just goes home when it ends at 5:30. Get real. Another shallow argument. If anything it will lessen the drunkeness because people will be starting to drink later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah because everyone just goes home when it ends at 5:30. Get real. Another shallow argument. If anything it will lessen the drunkeness because people will be starting to drink later.

Never implied people go home at 5:30.
Get real? Well to counter your point of " lessen drunkeness " from starting later, obviously they'll just stop at 10 o'clock will they?

As a policeman I'd prefer to deal with drunks at 6pm than 2am.

Never implied people go home at 5:30.
Get real? Well to counter your point of " lessen drunkeness " from starting later, obviously they'll just stop at 10 o'clock will they?

As a policeman I'd prefer to deal with drunks at 6pm than 2am.

It's still not a strong argument for it not to change. The policeman prefer to have drunks earlier in the day so they don't have to work as hard at 2am. Okay. Well we definitely can't have it twilight then.

Couldn't give a **** about the sun setting. I went last year to watch the game and I'd only go in the future to watch the game. The best atmosphere is an organic one, not one the AFL is trying to create with cute sunsets and wanky pre game entertainment - that said, the post match show which was done last year and anyone can enter the stadium for it, certainly adds to the day for the winning supporters and can get back early enough to have more than a few drinks at a pub in the City or Richmond.

Well said. There is simply no sensible reason to change the GF time slot, it's perfect. Just for once, you'd like the game to be about the players, not yuppy administrators who'd like to have dinner with their friends and a Chardonnay in the members whilst glancing at the scoreboard every now and then.

a few people will make a lot of money off us all with this massive change. that's all it's for. if you still wanna argue for it you're probably an idiot, or get free mix FM tickets to grannys or something

Lets not forget the real reason for a twilight Grand Final. Finally the AFL can pump Millions into a decent Half-Time show! :D

In all seriousness the AFL is just moving with the times and about time! All major finals across the globe are now either twilight or at night, After all its all about presenting a TV spectacle these days. It will definitely attract more viewers.

I'm all for it! I would probably prefer it at night tbh but twilight is a good start.

i think sydney's more your kind of town

I don't mind a twilight GF, it would mean the game starts at about 2.30pm here in WA rather than 12.30pm which is way too early.

The umpires couldn't see a thing either going by the standard of umpiring in that game.

I don't often laugh when reading bf, but I genuinely lol'd there.

I have to respect your devotion to getting umpiring into every single thread. Kudos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back