Injury 2017 - Injury List

Remove this Banner Ad

??

We took the best available key forward after having been shitcanned for years for not doing so.

Just to play devil's advocate Apeness was seen as a ruck/forward not a forward. Shame they didn't go for Lobb instead.

The ACL pre-draft always had me a little worried.

Our new facilities will have ballas and apeness out there in less than 4 weeks each.

Or our money back and we burn the thing down. Ice baths, swimming pools, alter-g treadmills, altitude chambers - cmon... we NEED you!

I'm presuming the water slide is a tool for recovery?

Just to play devil's advocate Apeness was seen as a ruck/forward not a forward. Shame they didn't go for Lobb instead.

Who don't know that lotto number after it been revealed. Getting player drafted is the first step, after that opportunity to continue to impress in wafl without hidcup in injury is another. Nobody can guaratee drafting lobb in freo side will prevent him to get injured in wafl.

??

We took the best available key forward after having been shitcanned for years for not doing so.

Strange because he was an unexpected selection. Not many people had him going anywhere near that high. And he was pegged as much a ruck as a forward, and had a serious knee injury. It was a surprising choice.

Based on? The guy is 22 years old FFS.

Based on reality and logic, not blind faith. In general there are poor odds of a non-standout junior KPF making it, especially for a club with a poor record in assessing such talent. Combine that with someone who is having his main developmental years scuppered. I really hope he comes good, but that can only be a low chance of happening.

It is fine to talk about a first rounder, but he was pick 17 in one of the compromised drafts. At that selection there is not a lot of difference in terms of likelihood to succeed, meaning, they are all speculative. And looking in the rear view mirror Lobb or Brown would have been handy.

Maybe they need to reduce knee stress and just play him as a forward for now.

It is fine to talk about a first rounder, but he was pick 17 in one of the compromised drafts. At that selection there is not a lot of difference in terms of likelihood to succeed, meaning, they are all speculative. And looking in the rear view mirror Lobb or Brown would have been handy.

Maybe they need to reduce knee stress and just play him as a forward for now.
Tabs must come into consideration now for the forward/ruck position, especially to cover any other
injuries.
For a guy his height if he cannot add this to his game, really starts to put the heat on his worth.

Strange because he was an unexpected selection. Not many people had him going anywhere near that high. And he was pegged as much a ruck as a forward, and had a serious knee injury. It was a surprising choice.

Based on reality and logic, not blind faith. In general there are poor odds of a non-standout junior KPF making it, especially for a club with a poor record in assessing such talent. Combine that with someone who is having his main developmental years scuppered. I really hope he comes good, but that can only be a low chance of happening.

Well that's not true, a quick google search and every phantom draft basically had him going at pick 21 as the third best KPF in the draft.
The AFL website phantom draft even had Freo in contention to select him.

I agree it's more likely than not now that he'll be a bust, but he wasn't the unexpected selection you're making him out to be.

We were desperate for talls (still are :() and he was judged best available, even coming off an ACL and having a rugby background. In hindsight it was a risk and he certainly looks a bust now, but I understand the selection. He just appears headed toward the Morabito/Andrew Browne/Gumbleton and, if you're old enough, the Lee Walker route. But lets hope he gets over his injuries and comes good.

Based on reality and logic, not blind faith. In general there are poor odds of a non-standout junior KPF making it, especially for a club with a poor record in assessing such talent.
Not saying you are wrong, nor do I have blind faith that the kid will make it - I just think it's way too soon to write him off. I have seen enough from him at training and at Peel to suggest that if he gets a decent run at it he will be a very useful power forward, a commodity that doesn't fall out of trees. Not sure if you remember Luke McPharlin's early days, but there were many Freo supporters (and media) bemoaning the fact that we had paid a high price for an injury prone player. That seemed to work out quite well for us.

McPharlin was recruited from East Fremantle in Western Australia to the Hawthorn Football Club after being taken at Pick 10 in the 1999 AFL Draft. He made his debut in 2000, kicking a goal with his first kick, but played just 12 total games in his first two seasons at Hawthorn. Felling home sick in Melbourne, McPharlin jumped at the chance of returning to Perth, and was subsequently traded to Fremantle following the 2001 season. McPharlin battled injury early on in his career, managing just over 50 games in his first five seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who don't know that lotto number after it been revealed. Getting player drafted is the first step, after that opportunity to continue to impress in wafl without hidcup in injury is another. Nobody can guaratee drafting lobb in freo side will prevent him to get injured in wafl.

What? You're talking about injuries being random, which would be fair enough, if one player hadn't already had the most significant knee injury possible prior to be being drafted. It's not all random after you take that into consideration.

We took the gamble with Apeness and so far, it hasn't turned out. The following year? We have the opportunity to take the same plunge again with Lever, and we don't.

Loading up on the country's best talent compliments of Vlad,so they could rule the comp and treat others(Carlton excepted)like s**t.
Whadda game plan!

As bad as both of them being out, Freo can work away around it.
If apeness injury is serious , I will pur him into Mora cat , time to move on . sometime a change of environment bring different luck . role the dice .
Apeness is no where near the Morabito category. I loved Mora like everyone else did, But he had 2-3 knee recons in a row. Guys like Apeness are certain to get 3-5 years on a list as KPPs slowly develop. Apeness showed last year what he can do and If he does get de-listed, Another team will pick him up.
I think ballas is a big loss, but when someone out opportunity open for other , Langdon might move there or d.pearce , just need to structure differently .
Losing Ballas to injury is bad, Losing Walters would of been much worse. Had Ballas played 20 games in 2017, dead certain he would of kicked 25-30 goals this year. A Langdon, Bennell, Crozier, weller, Brad Hill or Stephen Hill is capable of kicking 15-25 goals rotating of a forward flank and midfield spot
That really sucks for Ballas, especially after doing his hammy last preseason too. Hopefully being out that long doesn't ruin the rest of his season. Good opportunity for the other kids.
Strangely. Losing Ballas wont change too much in freos forward structure. That would mean...

HF: Rotating Mid, McCarthy, Another rotating mid.
FF: Griffin/Tabs, Kersten, Walters

Again... A Langdon, Weller, Crozier etc type mid can kick 20 goals off a forward flank.

I hope Apeness doesn't turn into a Morabito/Gumbleton type, but it ain't looking good. Depending on his contract status, this could be the last straw. He's still to have a serious crack at it :-(

Contracted to 2018 but it is a worrying sign, seems to have had some form of knee injury each year since we drafted him. A shame, he needs regular footy and there is a spot for him.
I am not worried about Apeness yet. once fully fit and in good form, he is easily out best 22. There was a good reason why we got him as a 1st rounder. at best he can be a 30-40 goal a season forward that can ruck. That alone is a quality player freo need right now. I was hoping he would of played 20 games this season. I will still pencil him at 10-12 games this year

Ben Brown who plays for North was available too. Sad thing was despite being from Tassie, Brown is a freo fan!

Training watchers are reporting that Zac Clarke is done for the season. Everyone please pray for no injuries to Sandi.
A training watcher singular is reporting that Zac is done based on what another watcher not on BF said (I heard the same comment at the same time our BF colleague heard it) and his source was the media so I doubt the authenticity of the initial media report as the club haven't issued a press release on Clarke's exact position.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what's going on with Luke Ryan he ain't playing for peel and he's not on the injury list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back