Injury 2017 - Injury List

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know what's going on with Luke Ryan he ain't playing for peel and he's not on the injury list?
I don't think there is an official injury list at the moment but if there were he would be on it, he had dealt with his shoulder injury but hurt his shin(?) in the first WAFL practice match

I am not worried about Apeness yet. once fully fit and in good form, he is easily out best 22. There was a good reason why we got him as a 1st rounder. at best he can be a 30-40 goal a season forward that can ruck. That alone is a quality player freo need right now. I was hoping he would of played 20 games this season. I will still pencil him at 10-12 games this year

I've watched every game he's played and I don't know how you could class him as "easily best 22". If his ruckwork was as good as Griffin's then maybe, but it's nowhere near that standard, he's non-competitive as a ruckman. And his kicking isn't good enough to kick 30-40 goals a season yet either.

As a pure forward he's behind both Kersten and Taberner. As a ruck/forward he's behind Griffin and probably behind Darcy too.

I've watched every game he's played and I don't know how you could class him as "easily best 22". If his ruckwork was as good as Griffin's then maybe, but it's nowhere near that standard, he's non-competitive as a ruckman. And his kicking isn't good enough to kick 30-40 goals a season yet either.

As a pure forward he's behind both Kersten and Taberner. As a ruck/forward he's behind Griffin and probably behind Darcy too.
I so desperately wanted Apeness to play all 22 games this year. Yeah he only kicked 3 goals last year but he looked confident in set shots when he kicked them. Kersten is a Better Forward than Apeness and Tabs. But if I had to choose between Tabs and Apeness for a spot in the 22, I would choose Apeness.

He's behind Darcy? I've seen most his jlt games and haven't seen his so called Mumford like physicality, but what I do like about him is physically he can already compete with seasoned ruckman. But to say his in front of the ape is a bold claim, apes showed Glimpse's but just can't get a full year out of him

He's behind Darcy? I've seen most his jlt games and haven't seen his so called Mumford like physicality, but what I do like about him is physically he can already compete with seasoned ruckman. But to say his in front of the ape is a bold claim, apes showed Glimpse's but just can't get a full year out of him

He's in front of Ape as a ruckman since Apeness has probably won 3 ruck taps in total in his whole career. The resting ruckman has to at least be competitive, Apeness hasn't been (in the ruck). Apeness averages 1.8 hitouts per game.

So he wouldn't be considered as a resting ruckman at this stage, only as a pure forward. And as a pure forward, both Kersten and Taberner are ahead of him. So he's got a couple of people to leapfrog in either position to be considered best 22.

This is assuming we continue to play 1 resting ruckman and 2 key forwards in the forward line. At present the best 22 consists of Griffin, McCarthy and Kersten. And Taberner is considered next in line to Kersten. So I don't see where you'd fit Apeness into best 22.

A training watcher singular is reporting that Zac is done based on what another watcher not on BF said (I heard the same comment at the same time our BF colleague heard it) and his source was the media so I doubt the authenticity of the initial media report as the club haven't issued a press release on Clarke's exact position.
I saw Zac Clarke today leaving training but he had been in the Gym area and not out on the field. He had a very large brace on his right leg going halfway down his shin and halfway up his thigh. Clems Knee @salim malik @Dudley Docker

He's in front of Ape as a ruckman since Apeness has probably won 3 ruck taps in total in his whole career. The resting ruckman has to at least be competitive, Apeness hasn't been (in the ruck). Apeness averages 1.8 hitouts per game.

So he wouldn't be considered as a resting ruckman at this stage, only as a pure forward. And as a pure forward, both Kersten and Taberner are ahead of him. So he's got a couple of people to leapfrog in either position to be considered best 22.

This is assuming we continue to play 1 resting ruckman and 2 key forwards in the forward line. At present the best 22 consists of Griffin, McCarthy and Kersten. And Taberner is considered next in line to Kersten. So I don't see where you'd fit Apeness into best 22.
A 1.8 avg ho for a 200cm 100kg 1st rounder in the ruck wtf! Didnt know he was that bad just got high hopes he was touted as the best third forward in his draft behind Boyd n macarthy , but he has to pinch hit in the ruck to make it. We seen what tabs can do , Kirsten yeh looks smart and skillful but abit precious going to biebs concert dressed like him . and Griff who I thought was going to get delisted plays 2 good jlts.
Ur not wrong man but I hope ur right.

A 1.8 avg ho for a 200cm 100kg 1st rounder in the ruck wtf! Didnt know he was that bad just got high hopes he was touted as the best third forward in his draft behind Boyd n macarthy , but he has to pinch hit in the ruck to make it. We seen what tabs can do , Kirsten yeh looks smart and skillful but abit precious going to biebs concert dressed like him . and Griff who I thought was going to get delisted plays 2 good jlts.
Ur not wrong man but I hope ur right.

He didn't play as a ruck much as a junior. It takes a while to learn. He certainly has the potential to do it, but at this moment I don't think he's going to be selected even as a relief ruckman. Being constantly injured hasn't helped his ruckwork development either.

It's not the club's official listing though. It's missing Uber who is definitely injured or Nyhuis and deluca also a number of the estimated returns aren't based on anything released by the club, for example Bennell who the club definitely hasn't put a timeline on beyond 'early in the season'
And thiers me thinking gee we got a healthy list this year, come on afl don't post bullshit articles ya better than that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 1.8 avg ho for a 200cm 100kg 1st rounder in the ruck wtf!...

The 1.8 hitouts was the 2016 average per AFL game average for Apeness but it is a bit skewed.

He's only rucked once for Fremantle as the 2nd ruckman and that was in the Round 23 2016 win vs Western Bulldogs where Sandi did the bulk of the rucking and Apeness had 6 hit outs. All the other games he's played there's been 2 other ruckmen in the line up and he's played up forward.

His progress is no worse than Max Gawn who was taken in the 2009 draft at pick 34 had 2 ACL knee reco's, a meniscus knee injury and a hammy which stopped him from playing regularly until the middle of 2015. Up until then he'd played 26 games in 5 and a half seasons.

Last edited:
The 1.8 hitouts was the 2016 average per AFL game average for Apeness but it is a bit skewed.

He's only rucked once for Fremantle as the 2nd ruckman and that was in the Round 23 2016 win vs Western Bulldogs where Sandi did the bulk of the rucking and Apeness had 6 hit outs. All the other games he's played there's been 2 other ruckmen in the line up and he's played up forward.

His progress is no worse than Max Gawn who was taken in the 2009 draft at pick 34 had 2 ACL knee reco's, a meniscus knee injury and a hammy which stopped him from playing regularly until the middle of 2015. Up until then he'd played 26 games in 5 and a half seasons.
Yeh I guess its way to early to start pottin his career, gawny only commin on last year I think and he's been around for a while

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2017-03-21/ballas-remains-positive-nine-news

Kinda sounds like Pav is being forced to do the voice overs with a gun to his head.

Then again you have to remember the media isn't allowed to say anything good or positive about the dockers. Pav luckily managed to sneak in that bit at then end saying he has a good relationship with Ross and could get a new contract.

Also they've given times on a few of the players here:

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-03-21/hbf-injury-update-ballantyne-up-and-about

Apeness: 5-7
Ballas: 8-10
Deluca: 4-6
Nyhuis (which they spelt Nyhaus): 4-5
Ryan: 1-2
The Rest: TBA

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2017-03-21/ballas-remains-positive-nine-news

Kinda sounds like Pav is being forced to do the voice overs with a gun to his head.

Then again you have to remember the media isn't allowed to say anything good or positive about the dockers. Pav luckily managed to sneak in that bit at then end saying he has a good relationship with Ross and could get a new contract.

Also they've given times on a few of the players here:

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-03-21/hbf-injury-update-ballantyne-up-and-about

Apeness: 5-7
Ballas: 8-10
Deluca: 4-6
Nyhuis (which they spelt Nyhaus): 4-5
Ryan: 1-2
The Rest: TBA

Far out, not a great start, 8 serious injuries before the first AFL game - yippee!!! Only Ryan returning in the first month!

Deluca is a real loss for Peel, hope he and Nyhuis are not more serious than stated.

Far out, not a great start, 8 serious injuries before the first AFL game - yippee!!! Only Ryan returning in the first month!

Deluca is a real loss for Peel, hope he and Nyhuis are not more serious than stated.
I know it looks bad, but realistically:

Apeness - has barely played at all, and is therefore not a loss from our best 22.
Ballantyne - is a loss, but not that great. Some on here were calling for him to be gone when he spoke to the Eagles (allegedly).
Bennell - has not played a game, will be a massive plus if he gets on the paddock - club is saying rounds 4 -6, probably for a couple with Peel.
Clarke - has offered very little for 2 years. Griffin in current form is better, and Darcy will soon be better if not already.
Nyhuis - has not played yet? Certainly fringe backup at best.
Ryan - likewise.
Pearce - big loss, hopefully see him in the second half of the seaason. If we are not in contention I doubt he will be played - a la Fyfe 2016.
Uebergang - in the Nyhuis, Ryan bucket - will be good if he gets back as tall defender depth, but Ross has put a line through him for this year.

So really only 3 definite best 22, of which Harley B has not played yet so can't be seen as a loss.

Bit of padding there for a news program eg Pav walking up to the house.
I watched the Caro's Arrow last night - so she won't be happy with Pav calling Ballas "mate".
"...stepped in a pothole..." = substandard oval surface.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back