Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
Clem was the biggest disappointment of the early days in my opinion.
Wish his body held up, the club may have mismanaged this at the time if I'm not mistaken.
He had it all - aggression, skill and few inches on his old man TI in height.
He played like not many others of that time - with a real passion for the club.
Imagine the son of one of the most respected and decorated Freo legends, his old man was so proud of him to play for us......if only it he could have played another 150 or so games

Gussman

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
How is Bennell tracking?

I understand round 1 is out of the question but if he's good to go round 5ish then the Ballas injury wouldn't be as significant.

AAACockburn

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2013
Inside Wayne Carey's pain relief Ziplock.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
VFL
Other than Sandilands we've had 20+ years of ruckmen showing great potential early then not going on with it. Clem, J-Lo, Warnock, Clarke.

497395-matthew-burton-peters-ice-cream.jpg

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-16/saints-be-praised-as-afl-captains-make-their-predictions

One of the captains thinks Sean Darcy is a chance for rising star. Wonder who it was.

But does raise the question of who on freo's list is most likely for a rising star. I would of probably gone for Darcy Tucker over Sean Darcy.
I had thought the same... until someone on here corrected me. Tucker has played too many games to be eligible.

Perhaps Balic smashes it for Peel in the first few rounds. Gets a gig in the Best 22 and gives it a red hot crack from then on.

Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
I had thought the same... until someone on here corrected me. Tucker has played too many games to be eligible.

Perhaps Balic smashes it for Peel in the first few rounds. Gets a gig in the Best 22 and gives it a red hot crack from then on.

Fremantle eligible players:
  • Brennan Cox (1998, 0 games)
  • Sean Darcy (1998, 0 games)
  • Griffin Logue (1998, 0 games)
  • Taylin Duman (1998, 0 games)
  • Luke Strnadica (1998, 0 games)
  • Harley Balic (1997, 0 games)
  • Ryan Nyhuis (1996, 0 games)
  • Josh Deluca (1996, 0 games)
  • Luke Ryan (1996, 0 games)
Balic would still be eligible next season if he plays less than 10 games in 2017.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
Fremantle eligible players:
  • Brennan Cox (1998, 0 games)
  • Sean Darcy (1998, 0 games)
  • Griffin Logue (1998, 0 games)
  • Taylin Duman (1998, 0 games)
  • Luke Strnadica (1998, 0 games)
  • Harley Balic (1997, 0 games)
  • Ryan Nyhuis (1996, 0 games)
  • Josh Deluca (1996, 0 games)
  • Luke Ryan (1996, 0 games)
Balic would still be eligible next season if he plays less than 10 games in 2017.

I can see a season without a RS nomination at all. Even Logue should be seen as a development player.

Gussman

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-03-19/freos-statistical-leaders-in-the-jlt-series

Best thing about this is the disposal efficiency out of the backline.

88.4% Lachie Weller
87.5% Joel Hamling
85.0% Michael Johnson
84.2% Garrick Ibbotson

Probably boasted a bit by the kicking it back and forth along half-back though.

Neale and Sandi being noted in some areas is really good, especially considering they only played 2 games.

Fyfe dominates all stats as usual.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-03-19/freos-statistical-leaders-in-the-jlt-series

88.4% Lachie Weller
87.5% Joel Hamling
85.0% Michael Johnson
84.2% Garrick Ibbotson

Neale and Sandi being noted in some areas is really good, especially considering they only played 2 games.

Backline players almost always have the highest disposal efficiencies in the team, even Zac Dawson generally out scores most of our inside mids and forwards most games. Backline players always scoring quite highly in the stat just shows how flawed the stat is.

Btw I'm not having a go at our players but disposal efficiencies in the 80s is quite common for defenders, even ones with bad kicks, whilst on our parts of the ground such as inside mid being above 70 is considered good. Pretty sure Ablett and Fyfe were lower in Brownlow seasons.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

88.4% Lachie Weller
87.5% Joel Hamling
85.0% Michael Johnson
84.2% Garrick Ibbotson

Amazing how prolific Fyfe was in so many of those stats. It honestly didn't look like he got out of 2nd gear the whole series.

Last edited:

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be fair Zac does kick it with his hand.

It helps certainly but so does bombing it 50m to no one in particular as the stat measures that as an effective disposal. Point I'm trying to make is even defenders who have crap disposal have high disposal efficiencies compared to inside mids and forwards. Having four of the back six in the top five means nothing - we probably did last AFL season.

FWIW I checked. Apeness and De Boer were actually in our top five last year but both played less than five games. Take them out (and MJ due to also playing less than 5 games) and it's Dawson, Spurr, Hughes, Collins and Ibbotson as our top five players for that stat. All defenders. FWIW Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Silvagni and Crozier are all in the next ten or so players.

Last edited:

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Backline players almost always have the highest disposal efficiencies in the team, even Zac Dawson generally out scores most of our inside mids and forwards most games. Backline players always scoring quite highly in the stat just shows how flawed the stat is.

Btw I'm not having a go at our players but disposal efficiencies in the 80s is quite common for defenders, even ones with bad kicks, whilst on our parts of the ground such as inside mid being above 70 is considered good. Pretty sure Ablett and Fyfe were lower in Brownlow seasons.

I look at kick to handball ratio. If the disposal efficiency is high and there's more kicks than handballs i rate much higher. Retaining possession is generally good...I hate when we go short forwards and across and then the kicker goes back off the mark and he's further back than previous kick and has no target.

Man of Men

Senior List
Feb 14, 2011
up the lol
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
FWIW I checked. Apeness and De Boer were actually in our top five last year but both played less than five games. Take them out (and MJ due to also playing less than 5 games) and it's Dawson, Spurr, Hughes, Collins and Ibbotson as our top five players for that stat. All defenders. FWIW Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Silvagni and Crozier are all in the next ten or so players.
Slightly off the topic of your discussion but I genuinely thought Croziers disposal from the backline was pretty good. Certainly more creative than the others. I don't know why we didn't keep him back there

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I look at kick to handball ratio. If the disposal efficiency is high and there's more kicks than handballs i rate much higher. Retaining possession is generally good...I hate when we go short forwards and across and then the kicker goes back off the mark and he's further back than previous kick and has no target.

Not a bad way of looking at it I suppose but one thing is for certain disposal efficiency alone tells very little - in fact it's close to useless. Good kicks can score poorly, bad kicks can score highly. It'd be interesting to see how your method stacks up.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Slightly off the topic of your discussion but I genuinely thought Croziers disposal from the backline was pretty good. Certainly more creative than the others. I don't know why we didn't keep him back there

FWIW Crozier's DE was the lowest of all the players I talked about but marginally (may rise significantly if you remove his forward games) and tbh if you asked me of that lot who's the best kick its him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back