Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Now go away and let the men play until you can start playing winning footy.

God i hope the AFL learn from their mistakes.
The aflw had the potential to be huge and it flopped.
Please no more teams, until the talent pool increases and full time training, all year.
And fund the women properly 80k for markee players and 50k for the rest.
If only it was done properly in the first place :(

See you there!
liar! where were you???

Well we were always going to lose this one, with so many players out including the Captain, and Melbourne being a hard team to beat all year. Good to see the girls still get decent crowds - I'd say about the same size as a VFL game here.

The skills weren't great - but don't forget that only a few months ago, barely any of them were professional footballers. And even though they were being belted most of the team were fighting to the end. There were a couple of highlights, like Chuot's smother when Melbourne were going for goal, and my buddy Miller laid a couple of ripper tackles.

Sure the season didn't turn out as expected, but it was a great step forward for creating a competitive professional women's competition.

Millions of viewers watching makes it a flop?!? o_O Some people will criticise no matter what they do I guess. If they spent millions more and the quality still wasn't to their "standard", they'd whinge even more as it would have been far too expensive and then cry even louder to shut it down. Some people's understanding of simple economics is as good as our former state Liberal government ;) Organic growth is better than artificial growth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not like you're being made to watch it. If you don't enjoy it, do something else. Plenty of people, including myself, are actually enjoying it.
People voted with there eyes ratings dropped of the perch and after one game i couldn't watch it anymore.
You want to know how bad interest in it dropped? Well just look at BF postings and threads, they died along with the viewers.
And this is why i am so critical of the afl, they had a golden opportunity and blew it.
Any one who thinks it was a success after they lost so many viewers is delusional

I have to say i am quite disgusted in sexist posters who think that women shouldn't be paid more.
Wouldn't it be better if they were concentrating on playing the game rather then working a full time job.

People voted with there eyes ratings dropped of the perch and after one game i couldn't watch it anymore.
You want to know how bad interest in it dropped? Well just look at BF postings and threads, they died along with the viewers.
And this is why i am so critical of the afl, they had a golden opportunity and blew it.
Any one who thinks it was a success after they lost so many viewers is delusional
So you comment how bad it is after watching just the first game?

51QS0C54GQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So you comment how bad it is after watching just the first game?
Fumble, fumble, grub kick, missed handball, fumble, fumble, missed handball, grub kick missed mark, missed handball, fumble more fumbling. Repeat for 4 quarters. Ha ha ha ha thats pretty spot on hey.
People tune in to watch talent, serving up that rubbish is why they lost so many viewers.

Please excuse my ignorance but how do the finals work and when are they played?
Will be on Sat 25 March but they won't confirm the time and venue until after both teams to make the final have been confirmed later today. Most likely Brisbane and Adelaide (unless Adelaide lose, in which case it will be Melbourne).

Fumble, fumble, grub kick, missed handball, fumble, fumble, missed handball, grub kick missed mark, missed handball, fumble more fumbling. Repeat for 4 quarters. Ha ha ha ha thats pretty spot on hey.
People tune in to watch talent, serving up that rubbish is why they lost so many viewers.
Of course they lost a fair number of viewers. The numbers they started with was unsustainable. But the numbers on the season overall were solid and better than the AFL had planned for. I'm expecting a crowd of around 10k today in Adelaide. It has not been a failure in any sense of the word.

The games have been mostly entertaining. The biggest dissapointment has been Freos results. The biggest winner has been the AFL community with the impact it has made on especially young girls.

So deride if you must. Your sexist attitudes are noted. And i expect the girls don't give a s**t if you watch or don't. There is enough base level support to ensure it's success while the players develop.

No spoon. Bonus. That last game is what happens when both your marquee players don't play.

Shows the depth of talent at the moment then, surely no more teams for a year or two.

This will be a strong competition but the inspiration for young AFL girls has just begun and all that talent won't filter through for a number of years but it will come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back