2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm with you Salim, I was there tonight and said to my Eagles mate after three quarters they'd hope that Kennedy stays fit, either him or darling go down there is zero backup to score.

Barrass comes in and Gov swings forward - beats our next move if McCarthy goes down. Apart from the fact that Kennedy is now so good he's irreplaceable, imo they're more stuffed replacement wise if a couple of mids go down. It's Redden and Duggan that step up and they're nowhere near the level.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention I thought the call on TV was incredibly biased by Readings (I think it was). Constantly calling frees for EP and sounding really dubious about the ones we got. Minimising or ignoring good plays by Peel players and talking up EP.

Readings is one of the more detestable Eagles sychophants in the town. Has made a career out of doing what you describe.

Yes, definitely got that bias from Readings.

I know Bell is a Freo man but I thought his unbias was professional and accurate, not over compensating.

Haha, you can tell the great man Cometti is enjoying semi retirement, he didn't make it back to the box after half time! :)

Sneakily watched the game at work so it was muted for the whole game. Was thinking about rewatching to hear what was said.... maybe not.

Give it a go. I didn't think it was that bad. Readings is an egotistical prat that no doubt follows WC but having Dennis's quality and Belly who was balanced, it was bearable. Much, much better than last years line up of Readings, Embley and Langdon.

It was a pretty ordinary game overall but far out for our youngsters to win against some seasoned AFL bodies was fantastic. I have no idea how East Perth racked up such high stats when we controlled the game in our forward half for the vast majority of the time. Thought our intensity was good the whole game up until we took the foot off the pedal at the end of the last quarter...
  • Darcy beating Giles was phenomenal! Such a great draft selection!
  • Collins, Hughes and Duman were very solid in defence and the way they helped lock the ball forward was fantastic. Hughes had 17 kicks and I can't remember any that didn't hit a target (I'm sure there were some but I can't remember them). Adding Nyhuis and Luke Ryan to that mix and Logue/Cox gaining confidence playing CHB should create a very young but strong back 6 for Peel.
  • Love the variation with Peel's inside brigade. Big Sean with his strong tap work and 2nd/3rd efforts, Grey with his manic pressure, Balic looking like he is half asleep but having the ball on a string at times, Crozier winning the ball on the ground and in the air, and Sheridan pretty solid as well but I wouldn't mind seeing some of that dash he showed in pre-season last year. Traye Bennell looked good on the outside as well. And O'Brien is just a work horse.
  • Other than Jetta I thought our forward line was very weak. Sure the inside 50 delivery was ordinary most of the game but there just wasn't enough coordinated movement i50 for them to kick to. It was really Tabs and Strnadica/Cox plus the Peel boys but it was a bit of a hot mess the whole game. Someone needs to take responsibility for leading and coordinating it. I think once they get the forward line gelling, Peel will be a very strong team this season. Also hoping (Harley) Bennell's warm up games for Peel will coincide with some TV coverage :)
Poor Francis Watson has chosen the wrong team - he's young, they make mistakes. Luckily for us, a far better version in Jason Carter will be on our list at the end of next year.

Summed it up perfectly.

7 clearances which shows he's adding to his game also.

Always happy to see Crozier getting plenty of the ball, that is his main issue before he can become a consistent AFL player. Just does not get the pill at AFL level unless it is coming to him (backline) but this was a promising performance and he gets Ballas spot for the first game IMO.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jokes... yeah Logue's 1st half was below average, out of position a few times and a few questionable disposals throughout the game. Few good things too though. Has a bit to work on but not worried at all. Ross said to Mark Duffield that he see's Logue's future in the backline. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Suban was crap, but I'm thinking it might be a positive. Very unlikely to get a gig for Freo off that performance.
Geez what's happened to suzy all I've been hearing around here this summer is him tearing up the track and now he's getting showed up by wafl players..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS, did they even watch the game? - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-19/eagles-dockers-stake-afl-claims-in-wafl-first-round

WEST Coast coach Adam Simpson is facing line-ball round one selection calls after Jack Redden and Tom Barrass were among East Perth's standout performers in a season-opening WAFL loss to Fremantle-aligned Peel Thunder.

Well I suppose they are correct - Redden did standout... but it wasn't for being good.
Shhhhs who care they play spud in afl level , as long they lost .

What kind of role did Duman play? At afl level what position?

Wing / HBF? Thought he was good and composed. HBF for me at AFL level; sort of a Sutcliffe/Birchall type.

Strnadica did some good things; the run down tackle may have made Ross blink, and a couple of marks in the backline whilst on stand-in ruck duty. Played a fair bit of time on the ground too.

I thought Logue was good in the second half and better overall than some were making him out to be. Just need to be patient whilst he learns the role.

I concur with others about Crozier - had a good game but he isn't playing inside mid at AFL level. Would rather see him groomed as a backman or as a forward.

I thought Sheridan did actually have some good moments but there was also the average ones too. I barely saw Suban.

Grey could still have a role at AFL level - tackles well and runs hard and I didn't think thd kicking was too bad.

Crozier has always been a mid at WAFL level, and killed it there, and everything but that at AFL level. hmmm. Either way, he's earned his spot for now but he'll be forced to adapt his game yet again.

Strnadica emerging as a genuine ruck/fwd option would be amazingly good fortune for us so soon after Apeness broke down.

I liked everything about Strnadica except his ruck work (which I thought was uncompetitive bit like Apeness).

He has far more versatility and mobility than the reports on him seem to indicate. He won't play AFL for a year or two but put some meat on them bones and we just might have an AFL footy player of the future.

I thought Sheridan did actually have some good moments but there was also the average ones too. I barely saw Suban.

Grey could still have a role at AFL level - tackles well and runs hard and I didn't think thd kicking was too bad.[/QUOTE]

Is Suban done? I cant see him breaking into the best 22 barring a catastrophic run with injury?
Sounds like Balic moved right past him yesterday.

Wing / HBF? Thought he was good and composed. HBF for me at AFL level; sort of a Sutcliffe/Birchall type.

Strnadica did some good things; the run down tackle may have made Ross blink, and a couple of marks in the backline whilst on stand-in ruck duty. Played a fair bit of time on the ground too.

I thought Logue was good in the second half and better overall than some were making him out to be. Just need to be patient whilst he learns the role.

I concur with others about Crozier - had a good game but he isn't playing inside mid at AFL level. Would rather see him groomed as a backman or as a forward.

Grey could still have a role at AFL level - tackles well and runs hard and I didn't think thd kicking was too bad.

Spot on re Duman imo. I was very keen on Jack Scrimshaw going into the draft as I think we really need a mobile tall defender that can play on a range of opponents but can also attack and get through traffic. We didn't have the opportunity to get Scrimshaw but got a very, very similar prospect much, much later in the draft. Again, another very smart pick from our recruiters.

What a terrible match report. It reads like Peel lost, clearly just ripped from the stats.
I use to read those report and the west on wafl , but most of us here who saw the match know grey did the % thing when the game is in balance. All they did is look at DT point who is best on ground.

I liked everything about Strnadica except his ruck work (which I thought was uncompetitive bit like Apeness).

He has far more versatility and mobility than the reports on him seem to indicate. He won't play AFL for a year or two but put some meat on them bones and we just might have an AFL footy player of the future.

Agree, but at least he was competitive in the ruck and at least he has that string to his bow whereas Tabs still hasn't. A tall forward who can be both dangerous forward and pinch hit in the ruck is gold and will always be picked ahead of one that can't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back