2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

I have mixed feelings about yesterday's game.

Pleased for Peel to get the win against a strong East Perth side, on paper. Pleased with a few of the youngsters - Sean Darcy, Strnadica, Duman, Balic amongst others.

Disappointed though that, at the end of the day, Peel won with good defence, good contested work, particularly around the stoppages and the ability of Leroy Jetta to conjure a goal.

I just don't think Freo can move forward until we can do more than defend, work the contested ball, particularly around the stoppages and conjure a goal now and again. I want to see some fluid ball movement and some inside 50 strategies from Freo and Peel, and I didn't see any semblance of that from Peel yesterday.

Yes I totally agree

Defending well won't win games at afl. You need to be able to kick goals and Freo lack potency in the forward line.

Can someone please explain why it appears that "supporters" have the daggers poised over Logue ?.

Granted he's a high draft pick, but from what I've seen, he's improving with every minute of game time.

Basically it's the high draft pick. He hasn't been poor and from all reports trained hard and earned a lot of respect from the players. Also, some posters may have expected him to be a C.Judd type and dominate from day 1. He was always going to be a project player and despite his plug in and play frame he'll realistically struggle to play more than 5-6 games this year if he's lucky. And that's not a knock on him, we just probably will err on the side of caution with him.

I think Collins will be ahead of logue , but if injury to ibbo or sutty , logue will be able to step in but like DT said don't expect too much in his first year.

I would be very comfortable with Balic taking Ballantyne's spot for round 1 after that performance, was the best of the Freo players in my opinion.
The way he moved through the pack at the very first centre bounce last night is something I could watch over and over. Good football IQ, is agile, has good vision and good hands. If he had pace he'd be unbelievable. I'd toss a coin between him and Darcy for BOG - we only lost one centre clearance all night from memory? Reckon Crozier will get the nod though as RtB will be a bit risk averse for round 1.

Can someone please explain why it appears that "supporters" have the daggers poised over Logue ?.

Granted he's a high draft pick, but from what I've seen, he's improving with every minute of game time.

Some people have a highly developed fear of either missing out or stuffing up that feeds into their general feelings of inadequacy, leading to an unshakable sense of resentment and increasingly antisocial behaviour. After a long period of club failure, these people become Richmond supporters. Pray we get a flag in the next five years.

Have you read the recent long interview with Lyon by Mark Duffield? He talks about how last season Freo went away from controlling the things they can and tried to focus on skills at the expense of effort. We tried to be Hawthorn and you can't unless you have a dozen or so left footers that can put the ball on a dime 55M away. Similarly while other teams this year will be trying to emulate Western Bulldogs manic handball game or the Eagles web Freo have gone back to basics - effort, intensity consistency at the contest because those are the things we can control. They are the things that got a team with players like Clancee Pearce, DeBoer, Mzungu, Suban into a Grand Final, demolishing Sydney and tossing Geelong on their own deck against all the odds.

The players themselves empowered Ross Lyon with their feedback that that is what they want to get back to.

Personally I was incredibly impressed by the consistency of effort and intensity over 4 quarters in the first game for points on a slippery deck under lights. A team with a lot of young and inexperienced players simply outworked and outmuscled a team with a fair bit more AFL experience.

If the seniors bring that in to round 1 we are a lot better chance than I've previously rated us. As for skill, it will come when the players carrying and moving the ball are Hill, Hill, Bennell, Mundy, Tucker (I rate him), Weller etc and they are kicking at McCarthy, Walters and a few more like that.

In 2013 we had the effort but not enough skill, I think we've brought a lot of skill in over the last couple of years, if we can get the effort and belief back to where is was we will have something.

Like Salim said, for a bunch of untried kids I've never been happier about a Peel performance. I can't believe how excited I am about Darcy, a big strong, mobile, skilful, Intelligent ruck like him can carry the next generation after Sandi hangs it up.

I did read the interview with Mark Duffield.

I agree with a lot of the things you say here - I think there was a lot of good things from Peel last night, and I think there is some promise in our youth.

I also agree that we shouldn't play like Hawthorn or the Bullies. It is actually better, I think, not to play like others as it means our opposition have to structure differently to deal with us, rather than the norm.

However, IMHO, we have to be able to attack and defend, not just defend. Maybe we only need to change the way we play by a few tweaks. In the JLT game against Collingwood Sandi got the ball wide at stoppages and we attacked well from that. We seemed to have some interesting things going on inside forward 50, with the rucks drifting down, Fyfe and Mundy drifting in and out.

Then against Carlton we seemed to revert to our norm, keep the ball in close at the stoppage and bomb the ball inside 50 and cross your fingers. Peel seemed to play that way last night.

I don't understand why our game plan requires that we have no apparent structure or tactics inside 50. I think Freo and Peel would benefit greatly from a little more attacking style.

Forgot to mention I thought the call on TV was incredibly biased by Readings (I think it was). Constantly calling frees for EP and sounding really dubious about the ones we got. Minimising or ignoring good plays by Peel players and talking up EP.
Peter Bell was no help either, he seems determined not to show any bias toward Freo and seems to be over compensating.
When Dennis was on they stopped even trying to call the game, whole passages they just talked over, I hate that, at least call the names of the players as they're involved or shut up. Its like trying to watch a game at a mates house and there is a couple of people in the room who just talk through the whole thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did read the interview with Mark Duffield.

I agree with a lot of the things you say here - I think there was a lot of good things from Peel last night, and I think there is some promise in our youth.

I also agree that we shouldn't play like Hawthorn or the Bullies. It is actually better, I think, not to play like others as it means our opposition have to structure differently to deal with us, rather than the norm.

However, IMHO, we have to be able to attack and defend, not just defend. Maybe we only need to change the way we play by a few tweaks. In the JLT game against Collingwood Sandi got the ball wide at stoppages and we attacked well from that. We seemed to have some interesting things going on inside forward 50, with the rucks drifting down, Fyfe and Mundy drifting in and out.

Then against Carlton we seemed to revert to our norm, keep the ball in close at the stoppage and bomb the ball inside 50 and cross your fingers. Peel seemed to play that way last night.

I don't understand why our game plan requires that we have no apparent structure or tactics inside 50. I think Freo and Peel would benefit greatly from a little more attacking style.
Agree with what you say, but it helps when you have the cattle to attack. Without a gun forward line, you need an exceptional midfield.

Balic in reality is a first year player, missing the most of 2016 with that wrist injury. How much improvement is there
with him?
Was talked about as a top ten pick before that wrist problem, we have taken a gamble, that should payoff big time.
Yep, one of the gambles on a player with an injury history that might actually pay off.

I think Collins will be ahead of logue , but if injury to ibbo or sutty , logue will be able to step in but like DT said don't expect too much in his first year.

If we're truely in development mode, Collins would be my pick before Dawson. Every game Zac plays the starting score line is -12 points.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not easily riled, but early on pretty sure Dennis jokingly referred to Peel Thunder as Fremantle which was met with a deafening silence by the rest of the commentary team. Just thought it was childish and showed his blatant bias. Came across as a complete tosser IMO.
I agree. Didn't enjoy Dennis at all. He sounded like he had no idea about what was going on in general and that is very unlike him. Not sure why he is still going and sounded like someone who has tapped out and had reluctantly agreed to tour John Farnham style one last time.

I agree. Didn't enjoy Dennis at all. He sounded like he had no idea about what was going on in general and that is very unlike him. Not sure why he is still going and sounded like someone who has tapped out and had reluctantly agreed to tour John Farnham style one last time.

Easy money. You can see why he stepped down from calling AFL games, just became so lazy and disinterested in footy over the last few years.

I haven't really enjoyed Dennis's calling for years now. Always found him quite condescending towards us. But thought he was ok last night even though he clearly has tapped out and is enjoying semi retirement and he would've loved for the Eagle seconds to have won, his call was much better than the jokers 7mate normally get. Much better.

I was waiting for that from you, what took you so long?
I was as quick as I could be!

Seriously, I don't think Commetti was that bad. He was there as the special comments person, not as the main commentator. As such it was a new role for him, and he generally did pretty well, apart from some self indulgent banter in one of the quarters.
The calling the WAFL teams after their AFL aligned clubs probably both reflect his years of AFL focus and a nod to West Perth's position on the alignments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back