theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Strikes me that our drafting and trading needs are up forward. We need a at least 1 crumbing small forward with Yarran gone and Ballas aging and injured and a genuine 195+cm number 1 tall forward
By the end of this season we will have learnt a bit about Taberner, Apeness, Kersten, Cox and Strnadica.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Strikes me that our drafting and trading needs are up forward. We need a at least 1 crumbing small forward with Yarran gone and Ballas aging and injured and a genuine 195+cm number 1 tall forward
Was going to say the same thing :)

Liam Ryan apparently had a good first game (kicked 3) even though Subiaco got thumped by South Freo.

I'm also assuming we'll be keeping an eye on Jarrod Garlett (didn't play for Souths yesterday) - he knows how to kick a goal and can rotate through the midfield. And of course we'll get Jason Carter as an attacking half back which could release Crozier/Weller to the forward line.

Carter > SHill > BHill > Garlett > Liam Ryan and Weller > Langdon > Bennell > McCarthy would be pretty fast and exciting ball movement to watch.

Would be relatively inexpensive come draft time as well.

Now just to find a primary tall forward either in the draft or via trade. Not sure we'll have an early enough draft pick this year to get the one we will want though.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Now just to find a primary tall forward either in the draft or via trade. Not sure we'll have an early enough draft pick this year to get the one we will want though.
I guess if we bundle the compo pick we get for Suban as FA, with say Tabs, we could get a top 10.

Yeah right.

Seriously though, waiting 3 or 4 seasons for a KPF to develop is not my favourite idea. Trade.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
[QUOTE="wayToGo_, post: 49183663, member: 167849"

Now just to find a primary tall forward either in the draft or via trade. Not sure we'll have an early enough draft pick this year to get the one we will want though.[/QUOTE]

I'm quite bullish about Strnadica after seeing him in his senior debut last night. I know it's a small sample size but if he can continue on the curve, get plenty of games this year followed by a big preseason in the gym etc, he just might fit the bill as early as 2018.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was going to say the same thing :)

Liam Ryan apparently had a good first game (kicked 3) even though Subiaco got thumped by South Freo.

I'm also assuming we'll be keeping an eye on Jarrod Garlett (didn't play for Souths yesterday) - he knows how to kick a goal and can rotate through the midfield. And of course we'll get Jason Carter as an attacking half back which could release Crozier/Weller to the forward line.

Carter > SHill > BHill > Garlett > Liam Ryan and Weller > Langdon > Bennell > McCarthy would be pretty fast and exciting ball movement to watch.

Would be relatively inexpensive come draft time as well.

Garlett started the season in the reserves. Did play though.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spurr, Ibbotson are 29 this year, with Johnson, Dawson nearing the end. Cox is looking good as a forward, and Logue
needs to find a spot yet, Mundy clone?
My opinion is that we have enough midfield talent in Bennell? Weller, Balic, Langdon, and Ross can even give Tucker a
run through there.
I expect our backline will be a work in progress, but I don't like seeing Sherro, Sutcliffe, used as halfbacks.

Weller, Tucker (already running through) and Langdon are already inside our best 22-25. Bennell IMO plays a lot more forward than midfield on return (bit like how Hawthorn protect Cyril's hammys). That leaves just Balic. Yep... heaps and heaps of midfield depth... Mundy and D.Pearce (as useless as some think he is) need to be replaced over the next 1-3 years. Not necessarily saying use our top two picks on mids or anything but we need more IMO.

We've drafted a lot of mid sized defenders in Hughes, Nyhuis, Logue, Ryan and Duman over the last 2-3 years. By the end of the year I think we'll know better how confident we are in at least the first four (Duman is a rake and needs time) as well as knowing where we see them playing going forward. We'll also have a better idea of where Carter and any other academy kids may go in the draft and what position we see them playing for us as well. If Carter is a rebounding defender with elite talent I'd rather us just see how the above group do without MJ, Dawson, Ibbo (???) in the side for a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
That was the impression I got. I remember a time when journos would actually cite sources for the arguments and claims used in their stories, that time is long gone it seems.
Love him or hate him (preferably the latter) Donald Trump has hit the nail on the head with his "fake news" campaign. You can pretty much say anything you want in the press now and never be held accountable for it.

If that was not the case there would be some high profile sports journalists sacked for the absolute nonsense they sprout on a daily basis.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Love him or hate him (preferably the latter) Donald Trump has hit the nail on the head with his "fake news" campaign. You can pretty much say anything you want in the press now and never be held accountable for it.

If that was not the case there would be some high profile sports journalists sacked for the absolute nonsense they sprout on a daily basis.
A good narrative is prioritised over actual facts these days.

UFO Tatsu

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2012
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle

It is not "fake news" if it is "alternative facts"

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Well the lastest block on his travel ban is a step in the right direction.

He is finally being held accountable for what he has said.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Albeit a small sample size, but if he can stack up a dozen of those games, it'll be a better showing than what we see from most on the fringes last year.
For sure. We are a team in transition. They would already have earmarked him for fast-tracking I think, especially given we moved on several inside style mids who would have blocked his development opportunities. With Blakely and Balic coming through and neither Fyfe or Neale yet at their peak, we are actually pretty well placed for inside mids.

manpurple

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well the lastest block on his travel ban is a step in the right direction.

He is finally being held accountable for what he has said.
As much as I would like to keep politics out of the great game/forum I note a couple of items.

Firstly according to all other circuit judges Trump's ban is perfectly legal, which is different to palatable.
Secondly Trump was elected according to all the rules of the elections in the US and he can pass whatever his mandate from the people allows. No matter what people think. After all he will be held accountable by the people of the US (yep the rest of us get no say) in 4 years time.
Lastly, Trump has taken the judge who blocked him to court. By most legal opinions (and the internet has plenty) the majority of the other circuit judges believe that Trump's executive order is not in contravention of American law. And that the judge in question was operating outside his jurisdiction. Most American legal commentators seem to be of the opinion that his decision will be struck down and he may be removed from office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back