Sandilands Happy To Keep Playing

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a great footballer. I hope he never retires, as unlikely as that probably is.

Will retire if freo win the flag :)

Sandiland's dominance is always due to his ability to exploit his size and strength against his opponents. So lost of speed and endurance that come from aging will affect him much less than other players.
And he mentioned with the change in the 3rd man up rules, less players will jump into him, which will also help his game.
As long as he managed his game time and he stay away from injury, there is no reason why he cannot dominate the ruck the way he does for another 2 years.

Sandiland's dominance is always due to his ability to exploit his size and strength against his opponents. So lost of speed and endurance that come from aging will affect him much less than other players.
And he mentioned with the change in the 3rd man up rules, less players will jump into him, which will also help his game.
As long as he managed his game time and he stay away from injury, there is no reason why he cannot dominate the ruck the way he does for another 2 years.
Sandilands presented his best 3 km time this preseason. Shaved 30 seconds off. He certainly isn't any shorter, but he is turning into a gazelle in his later years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When asked about Fyfe's importance to Freo, Pav mentioned in commentary (during a JLT game) something along the lines of how the club also internally rates Sandilands as one of their vitally important players.
I'm a massive Sandilands fan and believe he is underrated by many. Over recent years, I've done plenty of statistical analysis which shows a high correlation between Sandilands and Freo's midfield dominance being a major factor for winning games.
Sandilands' is also looking as good as I've ever seen him. He was running hard and tackling in the JLT series and I think RTB is planning on making him a dangerous target deep in the forward line in 2017.
I'm predicting a massive year for our massive man mountain.

If he plays ~20 games he'll be AA and will cement his legacy as the greatest ruckman of his generation. Calling it here :cool:

The amount of neutrals who wouldn't even put him in the top 5 current rucks is highly amusing.

The media are all raving about Gawn, ok he's good, but not that good !!!!.

Sandi is Sandi, does his job week in, week out. Doesn't have a fancy haircut, flowing hair, massive tatts ( graffiti ), crazy hair growth or waltz around with bimbo's ( politically correct term please ? ). To the media he is boring.

In 2015 (Sandilands played 23 games), Freo topped the team HitOuts with 1405 for and 719 against.
That is a HitOut differential of 686 (West Coast were next best with 334).
Freo also had a Clearances differential of 188 (Hawthorn next best with 89).

In 2016 (5 games), with a HitOut differential of 45 and a Clearances differential of 19.

Last edited:
I wish champion data would provide more of the indepth stats. Hitouts to advantage are the ones that matter.

Last year I recall reading how Gawn had 113 HitOuts to advantage in the first 7 rounds. That is, about 16 per game which is massive (NicNat was 2nd with 77).
But, just how many do you think Gawn gets when rucking against Sandilands, given the last time they met in late 2015 (Round 22), Gawn had 30 HitOuts (92% TimeOnGround) and Sandilands had 43 (78% TOG). I very much doubt that 16 of Gawn's 30 were to advantage in that game (Freo won the Clearances 44 to 34 in that match).
My point is, you need to also consider the negating impact that a player has on the opposition, not just the positive effect, and IMO, this is where, Sandilands clearly shines as the premier ruckman of the competition.

Last year I recall reading how Gawn had 113 HitOuts to advantage in the first 7 rounds. That is, about 16 per game which is massive (NicNat was 2nd with 77).
But, just how many do you think Gawn gets when rucking against Sandilands, given the last time they met in late 2015 (Round 22), Gawn had 30 HitOuts (92% TimeOnGround) and Sandilands had 43 (78% TOG). I very much doubt that 16 of Gawn's 30 were to advantage in that game (Freo won the Clearances 44 to 34 in that match).
My point is, you need to also consider the negating impact that a player has on the opposition, not just the positive effect, and IMO, this is where, Sandilands clearly shines as the premier ruckman of the competition.
I think you forget to mention , 2015 to 2017 how much gawn can improve also . young player with footy smart will not sit there but learn their opponent strength and weaknesses .No discredit to Sandi , he next step I think since he is still around is to help improve or influence freo next generation of ruck.

Last edited:

Not sure where you got that stat from but i would be extremely surprised if he had that many hit outs to advantage, or even half that many.

The stat comes from Champion data though who are apt to change their definitions between seasons. the perks of being a monopoly and only official scorer.

Not sure where you got that stat from but i would be extremely surprised if he had that many hit outs to advantage, or even half that many.

The stat comes from Champion data though who are apt to change their definitions between seasons. the perks of being a monopoly and only official scorer.
Found the article regarding Gawn's 2016 first 7 rounds;
http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/05/22/afls-best-ruckman-gawn-naitanui-goldstein/

"There is one stat which is particularly remarkable when considering Gawn’s influence at the stoppages. Hit outs to advantage numbers are not readily available to the public, but on the Sunday Footy Show a fortnight ago, the panel revealed that after seven rounds, Gawn had recorded an incredible 113 hit outs to advantage.

Naitanui, who is famous for his ability to direct taps down the throats of his midfielders, was second in the AFL with 77 hit outs to advantage. The West Coast star’s average of 11 hit outs to advantage per game is elite based on the history of this statistic. So for Gawn to be averaging 16 per game is truly freakish."

Another interesting stat regarding HitOuts to advantage I saw recently (but of little benefit to Freo in 2017) was in regards to Fyfe having the highest for Third man up with 41.4% of his HitOuts going to advantage.

Nic Naitanoknees is coming to be a lot less dominate in his return to footy, at least this year.

Todd Goldstein is going to have a rough year in NM, but so is everyone in NM.

So I recon the AA ruckman will be between Sandi and Gawn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back