Prediction 2017 Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah forgot they have Walker , Schache wont play , Leslie could get a gig against Lions unless they think Kolo could take one of thiose 3.
If you saw how kk played on Crameri who is a similar size to say walker, I don't think they will.
I was surprised at how big close is.

Hey guys, we're putting together a Fans Best 22 on our website.

If you're keen to provide your input, please email your round one team to gcsuns2015@gmail.com along with some reasoning behind your selections/omissions. Also send through your name/Twitter handle if you want a mention but feel free to remain anonymous.

Feel free to ask Rocket to enter this comp and if you could publish the results prior to next Thursday that would be fab! ;)

Just thought I would have a crack at this one

FB: Saad May Harbrow
HB: Hanley Thompson Kolo
C: Rosa GAJ Hall
HF: Martin Lynch Lyons
FF: AhChee Wright Garlett
R: Nicholls? Swallow Miller
B: Day Fiorini Sexton Lonergan

Hoping Witts arrival makes it a battle for the No.1 ruck position. Makes Tommy work extra hard and come out swinging next year.
Dont see Trent Mac or Matera making best 22 anymore.
Whats everyone else thoughts?
Got a few changes from my first crack at this.

FB: Saad May Joyce
HB: Kolo Thompson TMac
C: Rosa Miller Hanley
HF: Martin Lynch Lyons
FF: Ablett Wright Ainsworth
R: Witts Swallow Barlow
B: Sexton Lonergan Hall Fiorini

* that was hard, really want to put Bowes in the team but i think Fiorini and Joyce get the spot ahead of him at the minute, and Cal AChee is right up there to, just think the bigger bodies is needed. This is the team i reckon is the best for Round 1

How do people see Jack Leslie v Rory Thompson down back?

Also does Matera get in the best 22?
I think Matera will play round 1 after playing today and kicking 5 goals. This will be at the expense of Ainsworth. Rocket will opt for Thompson however if he is exposed by the opposition with his inability to hit targets by foot when the game is hot Leslie will be next in line.

If you saw how kk played on Crameri who is a similar size to say walker, I don't think they will.
I was surprised at how big close is.
Walker is roughly the same height as Close, and probably 5kg heavier. Both are more than 2" taller than Crameri, so Kolo would be at a huge disadvantage in the air or in a marking contest.

I dunno, Im still a bit unsure on Leslie. Sure Thompson's kicking drives us all nuts at times, but Leslie still just doesn't look overly composed/confident with the speed of senior footy compared to the NEAFL (which would obviously improve with game-time). While he may be a better ball-user than Thompson, Rory, to me, is much better at defending and much more composed, which is really what we need down back with all our youth. With our expectations for this season, Rory IMO, will help us concede less points which is ultimately what we want from our defenders, given the debate over our other defenders ability to 'defend'.

But in saying that, if Leslie is good enough, there is a spot there for him. He just has to earn it (or wait for someone to get injured). And if Thompson really is such a liability, then Im sure Rocket will make the necessary changes.

I dunno, Im still a bit unsure on Leslie. Sure Thompson's kicking drives us all nuts at times, but Leslie still just doesn't look overly composed/confident with the speed of senior footy compared to the NEAFL (which would obviously improve with game-time). While he may be a better ball-user than Thompson, Rory, to me, is much better at defending and much more composed, which is really what we need down back with all our youth. With our expectations for this season, Rory IMO, will help us concede less points which is ultimately what we want from our defenders, given the debate over our other defenders ability to 'defend'.

But in saying that, if Leslie is good enough, there is a spot there for him. He just has to earn it (or wait for someone to get injured). And if Thompson really is such a liability, then Im sure Rocket will make the necessary changes.

This is where not having Day hurts most. If you don't play Leslie you don't have 3rd tall option if things go pear shaped against the good teams that have 3 big forwards (Crows: Walker, Jenkins, McGovern / Swans: Buddy, Tippet, Reid / Giants: Patton, Cameron, Lobb).

This is where not having Day hurts most. If you don't play Leslie you don't have 3rd tall option if things go pear shaped against the good teams that have 3 big forwards (Crows: Walker, Jenkins, McGovern / Swans: Buddy, Tippet, Reid / Giants: Patton, Cameron, Lobb).
Spot on - Leslie should be in as that extra tall unless you think Brooksby is the answer ?
Even when TMac returns - not sure that we still won't need the extra tall .
Loss of Day has cost so much flexibility....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May not be the best available against Gold Coast on Saturday but here is my thoughts on the Suns strongest 22 for 2017.

BACKS:
Adam Saad ~ Steven May ~ Jack Leslie
HALF BACKS: Pearce Hanley ~ Rory Thompson ~ Kade Kolodjashnij

CENTRE: Jarryd Lyons ~ Michael Barlow ~ Matt Rosa
FOLLOWERS: Jarrad Witts ~ David Swallow ~ Touk Miller

HALF FORWARDS: Aaron Hall ~ Tom Lynch ~ Gary Ablett
FULL FORWARDS: Callum AhChee ~ Peter Wright ~ Jack Martin

INTERCHANGE:
Jarrod Harbrow ~ Alex Sexton ~ Ben Ainsworth ~ Will Brodie/ Jack Bowes

0ed283b3638dc24cf338c93e45e3932f.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I love how the fans are getting a say, very nice

As for round one, from what I can gather looks like we might line up something like this...
Saad May Joyce/Lemmens
Kolo Thomo Bowes
Rosa Barlow Hanley
Martin Lynch Miller
Ah Chee Wright Ainsworth
Witts Ablett Swallow
Hall Lyons Fiorini Sexton

I would go with Joyce in the BP, got a feeling Rocket is leaning towards Lemmens..
Harbrow and TMac to come in very soon.. Watching Brodie and the Scrim very carefully, talent to burn.. very interested in Scheer, Willis and Scoenfeld... guys like Lonergan, Matera, Davis, Hallahan, Currie and Shaw are really good, quite experienced, AFL proven depth..
And then there is Rischa to start peaking as we make our final run to the finals...

As for round one, from what I can gather looks like we might line up something like this...
Saad May Joyce/Lemmens
Kolo Thomo Bowes
Rosa Barlow Hanley
Martin Lynch Miller
Ah Chee Wright Ainsworth
Witts Ablett Swallow
Hall Lyons Fiorini Sexton

This is what I am leaning towards as well. Dunno if Lonergan did enough in Rockets eyes in the NEAFL game? Could be a case of him getting a niggle at an unfortunate time. All of Bowes, Fiorini, Ainsworth and Brodie right on the edge with 2-maybe 3 getting a gig. Who knows with Matera. Kicked 5 goals, but thats not Rockets main concern with him is. Needs to prove he can see out a game running, chasing, tackling and just providing defensive pressure from start to finish. And who takes that final spot in the backline? Joyce, Lemmens, Leslie, or a Hanley, Fiorini, Bowes swung back there to start.

I dont think I have ever been this keen for a Round 1 squad reveal! So many options!

hahahaha had a feeling someone would do that. Btw now on 65
Cheers, Keep us updated. ;):p

Whiting reporting Bowes and Ainsworth to debut.

"Pearce Hanley (Lions), Jarrod Witts (Collingwood), Jarryd Lyons (Adelaide) and Michael Barlow (Fremantle) will all play their first games in the red and yellow following off-season moves.

Ben Ainsworth, taken with the fourth pick in last year's NAB AFL Draft, and Jack Bowes (No.10) are also expected to debut."

I have nothing better to do at work today other then comparing Private health Insurance (and if anybody can point in the right direction to help me save some coin it would be very much appreciated) so I thought I would do some Serial posting on Bigfooty. here's my 22
B, A.Saad R.Thompson K.Kolodjashnij
HB, D.Swallow S.May P.Hanley
C, B.Fiorini M.Barlow A.Hall
HF, G.Ablett T.Lynch J.Martin
F, C.Ah Chee P.Wright B.Ainsworth
Foll, J.Witts T.Miller J.Bowes
Int, J.Lonergan M.Rosa A.Sexton J.Harbrow
Emg, W.Brodie J.Joyce, M.Rischitelli

NEAFL team
B, J.Joyce J.Leslie T.McKenzie
HB, S.Lemmens J.Scrimshaw J.Schoenfeld
C, M.Shaw M.Hallhan J.Lyons
HF, B.Shaw J.Grant R.Davis
F B.Matera K.Brooksby D.MacPherson
Foll, T.Nicholls M.Rischitelli W.Brodie
Int, M.Wills M.Spencer C.Loersch (S.Day out for the season so this last spot is for an under 18 top up player)

I have nothing better to do at work today other then comparing Private health Insurance (and if anybody can point in the right direction to help me save some coin it would be very much appreciated) so I thought I would do some Serial posting on Bigfooty. here's my 22

NEAFL team
Int, M.Wills M.Spencer C.Loersch (S.Day out for the season so this last spot is for an under 18 top up player)

Not bad but you have Lyons in the NEAFL and Rischa emergency and he's out for half the season...I'd have Lyons in the 22, as Rocket intimated he's playing.

NEAFL team

Great effort, here's mine, main changes are no Rischatelli or Harbrow, Lonergan as an emergency, Lyons on the wing and Fiorini to the bench and bought in Leslie, to help out if we have an injury down back or in the ruck.

I think Joyce is a little stiff here but I just can't fit him in over the others in the back line

C, J . Lyons M.Barlow A.Hall
Int, M.Rosa A.Sexton J. Leslie B.Fiorini
Emg, W.Brodie J.Joyce, J. Lonergan

Great effort, here's mine, main changes are no Rischatelli or Harbrow, Lonergan as an emergency, Lyons on the wing and Fiorini to the bench and bought in Leslie, to help out if we have an injury down back or in the ruck.

I think Joyce is a little stiff here but I just can't fit him in over the others in the back line

C, J . Lyons M.Barlow A.Hall
Int, M.Rosa A.Sexton J. Leslie B.Fiorini
Emg, W.Brodie J.Joyce, J. Lonergan
Can't see Bowes starting on the ball in his first game.. especially with the amount of elite mids we have. Also he has been playing half back throughout the JLT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back