Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's been reported that he's on the verge of signing a new three year contract. Do you agree that it's the right decision by the footy club?

Obviously he has a premiership to his name. But it was won on the back of a list build from Bomber, and a few Geelong legends who had already won two before. Even though they lost Ablett the year before, it wasn't like the list was built from scratch. The list was still full of Hall of Famers and Superstars.

His finals record hasn't been good from 2012 onwards, and players like Caddy, Smedts (now gone) Motlop, Duncan, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch just haven't taken the next step in their development under him. Is this a result in the players not buying into the game plan? Nakia Cockatoo come to the club with huge raps, and he's failed to cement a spot in the side.

Is it even necessary for Geelong to give him a new deal when they could wait til season's end and address things then?

It's been reported that he's on the verge of signing a new three year contract. Do you agree that it's the right decision by the footy club?

Obviously he has a premiership to his name. But it was won on the back of a list build from Bomber, and a few Geelong legends who had already won two before. Even though they lost Ablett the year before, it wasn't like the list was built from scratch. The list was still full of Hall of Famers and Superstars.

His finals record hasn't been good from 2012 onwards, and players like Caddy, Smedts (now gone) Motlop, Duncan, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch just haven't taken the next step in their development under him. Is this a result in the players not buying into the game plan? Nakia Cockatoo come to the club with huge raps, and he's failed to cement a spot in the side.

Is it even necessary for Geelong to give him a new deal when they could wait til season's end and address things then?
The Problem is he is a coach with a 71% win rate with a flag and 2 other prelim finals, he has turned over the list since Bomber left and has kept on winning.

I would want to wait and see but if you don't wrap him up he is a candidate to be poached by another club, as hard as that is for some people to believe.

Also ask yourself this is their something better out there for Geelong to go after, I would argue no they would have to sign an unproven coach.

The Problem is he is a coach with a 71% win rate with a flag and 2 other prelim finals, he has turned over the list since Bomber left and has kept on winning.

I would want to wait and see but if you don't wrap him up he is a candidate to be poached by another club, as hard as that is for some people to believe.

Also ask yourself this is their something better out there for Geelong to go after, I would argue no they would have to sign an unproven coach.
He certainly deserves a contract extension based on the side's performances, the only thing I would suggest is to maybe bring in some fresh faces under him to solves this persistent problem of not playing the full four quarters!

You can question our post-2011 output, but I would say Scott was a major factor in us winning in 2011. Go re-watch the 2010 prelim to show how our game style had completely run its course....Scott provided a fresh face and changes to the game style that probably wouldn't have happened if Bomber was still coach.

No change = no win in 2011.

With Dangerfield in the side last year they looked a different side to the team that missed the finals the year before. Hard to see them missing this year, so you'd presume he'd be offered a contract at some point during the season.

Doing it early means a two year extension rather than possibly three at the end of season. It might be a smart move.

He is a successful coach, Geelong are doing OK and will show up again this season. Its his brother that worries me, I am no fan of North or Boomer , I know he is a champion, but he should have had one more year at least. Weird thing that.
Bad times ahead for North I think.

People like to criticise Chris Scott but the fact of the matter is that it's possible three or so clubs could be looking at a new coach at the end of the season and this just ensures he is hands off. Has consistently gotten Geelong into the finals despite rebuilding; he deserves it and Richmond especially would probably have had a look at him.

I always get confused by which Scott brother is walking a fine line or else travelling well.

one has a wide open space to run in and the other will try their hardest to give their players the incentive to play freely.

Maybe it's in the genes.

We remain the only team that Bevo has not beaten. Twice in a premiership year. That is something. Let's reassess after the Cats v Doggies at the Cattery.

On a serious side, I think he has achieved a lot, has a good win-loss %, and has declared himself that he still has so much to learn and offer.
He is a great advertisement for GFC, imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a pretty reasonable decision. Certainly if you're a Geelong fan you have plenty to hang your hat on regards to this. I think most neutrals would have him somewhere around the top 4 current coaches. I think he's shown some ability to turn the list over.

His record is pretty good statistically. Definitely good enough to be retained. I'm just not sure whether that translates into being premiership threat. They we're exposed in that prelim last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back