Injury 2017 - Injury List

Gussman

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know it looks bad, but realistically:

Apeness - has barely played at all, and is therefore not a loss from our best 22.
Ballantyne - is a loss, but not that great. Some on here were calling for him to be gone when he spoke to the Eagles (allegedly).
Bennell - has not played a game, will be a massive plus if he gets on the paddock - club is saying rounds 4 -6, probably for a couple with Peel.
Clarke - has offered very little for 2 years. Griffin in current form is better, and Darcy will soon be better if not already.
Nyhuis - has not played yet? Certainly fringe backup at best.
Ryan - likewise.
Pearce - big loss, hopefully see him in the second half of the seaason. If we are not in contention I doubt he will be played - a la Fyfe 2016.
Uebergang - in the Nyhuis, Ryan bucket - will be good if he gets back as tall defender depth, but Ross has put a line through him for this year.

So really only 3 definite best 22, of which Harley B has not played yet so can't be seen as a loss.

Wasn't Luke Ryan one of the best rated mature agers in the draft, labeled as ready to step into the AFL. I would take him over Sutcliffe on that alone.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Some of those guys are depth in areas we're light on though, which is more the issue. Clarke and Apeness in particular.
You can't really solve the issue if these players are injury prone , but can take the risk of playing young players a bit earlier or playing some tall players in the ruck.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Some of those guys are depth in areas we're light on though, which is more the issue. Clarke and Apeness in particular.
Yes they are significant losses, as is Bennell despite not having played a game. He is A-grade and we lack some high end class. Also he is not on the injured list but Yarran is a significant loss in an area we are weak as well.

On the positive side I think a number of draftees are ready to play if required. Logue, Cox, Ryan will get game time before the year is out, and Darcy is clearly being fast-tracked. Balic adds something too.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Yes they are significant losses, as is Bennell despite not having played a game. He is A-grade and we lack some high end class. Also he is not on the injured list but Yarran is a significant loss in an area we are weak as well.

On the positive side I think a number of draftees are ready to play if required. Logue, Cox, Ryan will get game time before the year is out, and Darcy is clearly being fast-tracked. Balic adds something too.
True. From crisis comes opportunity. Crisitunity!

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wasn't Luke Ryan one of the best rated mature agers in the draft, labeled as ready to step into the AFL. I would take him over Sutcliffe on that alone.

From looking at his VFL highlights he doesn't defend very well but is very good in space and out on his own breaking the lines.

Contrary to what most on here think, Sutcliffe can defend, and defend well.

IMO once Ross is happy that Ryan can defend well enough he'll get an opportunity behind Spurr or Weller

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
I'm assuming that is tongue in cheek. A state league player, no matter how highly rated, is a state league player. May be the best of them but does not have AFL experience or fitness levels, so at this stage is still only depth.

I agree we are light on for depth, but based on Saturday night's game I would say not as light on as a premiership fancy just up the road ;)

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
From looking at his VFL highlights he doesn't defend very well but is very good in space and out on his own breaking the lines.

Contrary to what most on here think, Sutcliffe can defend, and defend well.

IMO once Ross is happy that Ryan can defend well enough he'll get an opportunity behind Spurr or Weller
I think Ross is trying to find the right mix now, but also keep an eye on final opportunity. I am a big critic on sherriden,croz, ibbo , sutty type of players , on the other hand if they can play to their best ability and help freo win match I actually don't mind. Hopefully this instinctive football Ross and ballas mention come alive this year whoever soldier he put in will do the job.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm assuming that is tongue in cheek. A state league player, no matter how highly rated, is a state league player. May be the best of them but does not have AFL experience or fitness levels, so at this stage is still only depth.

I agree we are light on for depth, but based on Saturday night's game I would say not as light on as a premiership fancy just up the road ;)
Well apart from HB , I think your assessment is fair . My gut feel said uebergang will be gone 23 years old next year , bad injury at the wrong time like tanner smith without playing an AfL game.

Nightrain

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should be on the injury list. Had a shoulder injury during the off-season.

I realise all teams have injuries (Bulldogs last year, case in point) but anyone else concerned at the number of injuries we have and the time for recovery. It seems our guys take longer to heal and we always have a long list.

Cyril can snap a hamstring off the bone and be playing in 6 weeks. Our blokes get a muscle cramp and are out for 12. Then there's always the confusion in the rehab time given by the club. "Oh, he'll be back in 4", meaning, that he will be back training in 4 + 2 weeks rehab training + 2 weeks WAFL conditioning, makes it out for 8.

Then I see Rugby League players breaking forearms, wrenching ankles, tearing ACLs with diagnosis of 4 - 6 weeks out, whilst our blokes miss games after a visit to the barber.

I have always wondered if our medical staff are at the level they need to be or whether others are playing by the book.

Gussman

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I realise all teams have injuries (Bulldogs last year, case in point) but anyone else concerned at the number of injuries we have and the time for recovery. It seems our guys take longer to heal and we always have a long list.

Cyril can snap a hamstring off the bone and be playing in 6 weeks. Our blokes get a muscle cramp and are out for 12. Then there's always the confusion in the rehab time given by the club. "Oh, he'll be back in 4", meaning, that he will be back training in 4 + 2 weeks rehab training + 2 weeks WAFL conditioning, makes it out for 8.

Then I see Rugby League players breaking forearms, wrenching ankles, tearing ACLs with diagnosis of 4 - 6 weeks out, whilst our blokes miss games after a visit to the barber.

I have always wondered if our medical staff are at the level they need to be or whether others are playing by the book.

Could be due to the fact that Fremantle and even WC travels significantly larger distances then over clubs and more often. It's definitely more difficult having to go interstate every second week, while clubs like Geelong go interstate 4 or 5 times a season. Definitely takes its toll on the players.

Also I'm hoping that the new facility helps in the recovery of players, which could shorten recovery times a bit.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Could be due to the fact that Fremantle and even WC travels significantly larger distances then over clubs and more often. It's definitely more difficult having to go interstate every second week, while clubs like Geelong go interstate 4 or 5 times a season. Definitely takes its toll on the players.

Also I'm hoping that the new facility helps in the recovery of players, which could shorten recovery times a bit.
But apeness or benell not yet play interstate yet.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Bit of padding there for a news program eg Pav walking up to the house.
I watched the Caro's Arrow last night - so she won't be happy with Pav calling Ballas "mate".
"...stepped in a pothole..." = substandard oval surface.

I'll bite what did Caro say in Caro's arrow?

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Specifically male AFL players (unlike AFL female players) showing their disrespect and general bad manners in the media by not addressing the interviewer by their proper name but saying "mate" in response to a question. She started with a snippet of an interview from James Frawley and then (without any context) another from Scott Pendelbury, where they both called their interviewer 'mate' and then zzzzzz. I lost interest and decided to flick over the SBS and watch the Soccer Highlights program - and I don't even like soccer.

Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
INJURY LIST - UPDATED TUESDAY 28 MARCH, 2017
  • Luke Ryan (Ankle) Test [down from 1-2 weeks]
  • Taylin Duman (Ankle) 2 weeks [down from TBA]
  • Ryan Nyhuis (Shin) 3-4 weeks [down from 4-5 weeks]
  • Josh Deluca (Groin) 3-5 weeks [down from 4-6 weeks]
  • Michael Apeness (Knee) 4-6 weeks [down from 5-7 weeks]
  • Hayden Ballantyne (Hamstring) 7-9 weeks [down from 8-10 weeks]
  • Zac Clarke (Knee) TBA [no change]
  • Alex Pearce (Leg) TBA [no change]
  • Matthew Uebergang (Hamstring) TBA [no change]
  • Harley Bennell (Calf) TBA [no change]

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Thanks for the update , expected the worse that is definitely good news for duman and the club.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Last weekend's matches were also a good result for the club on the injury side, so whilst there is still too many injuries it looks more positive. I hope this continues for our sake and Peel's.

Back