2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of them are at boarding schools in Melbourne and playing TAC Cup. I think they'll be fine.
Most of those at boarding schools and playing TAC Cup are doing so precisely because GWS identified them and had them in their academy for three years before the scholarship offer was made.

Now guys in Wentworth get to travel five hours to Bendigo for TAC Cup...

I do not know the specifics of how the academies are run. But I imagine they get the kids in to the program around age 12 or 13.

When you engage in discussion with GWS fans, one of their main points is that since the introduction of their academy to the region, the number of players coming out of there has steadily increased year on year.

Of course Melbourne/Victorian private schools are going to be offering scholarships to talented kids from year 10 or 11, and you can't blame the kids/families from jumping at the scholarships. But the real work put in to these kids is from a younger age.

My issue isn't that GWS is losing these regions, but rather these regions had been underdeveloped before GWS arrived. And now the AFL is taking these areas away from GWS, they better have a plan to replace GWS with a suitable alternative.

I have no understanding of the impact that the GWS academy had on the area that they no longer have. However, and I might be wrong, kids growing up in these areas would still have access to the TACCUP development via the Murray Bushrangers and Bendigo Pioneers. They haven't been left on a desert island and told best of luck. It'll be interesting to play out but for this draft it might help us out overall.

I do not know the specifics of how the academies are run. But I imagine they get the kids in to the program around age 12 or 13.

When you engage in discussion with GWS fans, one of their main points is that since the introduction of their academy to the region, the number of players coming out of there has steadily increased year on year.

Of course Melbourne/Victorian private schools are going to be offering scholarships to talented kids from year 10 or 11, and you can't blame the kids/families from jumping at the scholarships. But the real work put in to these kids is from a younger age.

My issue isn't that GWS is losing these regions, but rather these regions had been underdeveloped before GWS arrived. And now the AFL is taking these areas away from GWS, they better have a plan to replace GWS with a suitable alternative.
The development of the code argument might apply in some NSW regional areas but just doesn't float for Albury which is why they are losing it as their zone. Kids in Albury chose football as their preferred code well before the Giants arrived. The Giants have offered some representative opportunities to young kids but not really had much of a direct role in development of the code at the local junior level; at least not in a measurable way. Most of it is being done by the very strong local clubs that have existed for almost as long as footy itself. My nephew was snapped up by the Giants Academy at age 14, as were most of the academy guys just drafted, but had been a footy fanatic since he was a tiny tot and had already played rep footy for a nearby Vic country region. The scholarship thing is a red herring. Just not relevant to the debate in my opinion.

Gee, I want to see more come The under 18 carnival of Stephenson,Rayner, ( from what I have seen impressive),Lockie o'brien
garner ( who is goes in hard) these 4 I have to say ,look good overhead in marking and special mention to Rayner and o'brien for their kicking, which seems to me to be pretty good. and (t Hayes late pick to rookie ) out of the non Academy kids so far.

Last edited:

Basically nailed it. The last part is something I've mentioned a bunch of times on the D&T board. These areas went from producing a rookie here or there under the TAC Cup to producing multiple top talents under the academy. So they're moved back to the TAC Cup - ok, what happens to the kids in this area in five years time when the Giants' talent identification has run its course? Back to neglecting the area? I know what I think is likely - reversion to the previous status quo - and I really hope it isn't the result.

I have no understanding of the impact that the GWS academy had on the area that they no longer have. However, and I might be wrong, kids growing up in these areas would still have access to the TACCUP development via the Murray Bushrangers and Bendigo Pioneers. They haven't been left on a desert island and told best of luck. It'll be interesting to play out but for this draft it might help us out overall.

Albury isn't too bad as its TAC Cup team is in Wangaratta and Moama is only an hour or so away from Bendigo, but areas like Wentworth (where Brander is from) or Gol Gol (Kobe Mutch) is a 4 1/2 to 5 hour trip to Bendigo for TAC Cup training and duties. Areas like that have now gone from having periodic talent identification and development camps to requiring a massive commitment. To use an analogy, it's like saying everyone has access to buy a Ferrari even though obviously not everyone can actually afford it.

The development of the code argument might apply in some NSW regional areas but just doesn't float for Albury which is why they are losing it as their zone. Kids in Albury chose football as their preferred code well before the Giants arrived. The Giants have offered some representative opportunities to young kids but not really had much of a direct role in development of the code at the local junior level; at least not in a measurable way. Most of it is being done by the very strong local clubs that have existed for almost as long as footy itself. My nephew was snapped up by the Giants Academy at age 14, as were most of the academy guys just drafted, but had been a footy fanatic since he was a tiny tot and had already played rep footy for a nearby Vic country region. The scholarship thing is a red herring. Just not relevant to the debate in my opinion.

One of my main concerns re the Giants academy is they have produced nothing from the traditional league areas of western Sydney and the surrounding areas - Bathurst etc. That is the primary purpose of the academy system, not talent identification in aussie rules strongholds.

One of my main concerns re the Giants academy is they have produced nothing from the traditional league areas of western Sydney and the surrounding areas - Bathurst etc. That is the primary purpose of the academy system, not talent identification in aussie rules strongholds.

It's tough. It's like asking how come Ipswich and Logan haven't produced any footballers yet. AFL is coming from so far back that it's almost a generational thing there - Step one, get people actually playing it. Step two, get kids good enough to play at league level. Step one is underway, with massively increased junior participation. Step two is getting there - there was three or four western Sydney kids in last year's NSW team IIRC.

Charlie Spargo come on down....seems like the perfect player to use with the Port Adelaide pick.....alright might be a bit early to pencil him in but got to love a kid with a Brisbane pedigree, even if it was only 9 games. However if he kept his dads goal/game ratio hope he plays 200+ for us!!!

Charlie Spargo come on down....seems like the perfect player to use with the Port Adelaide pick.....alright might be a bit early to pencil him in but got to love a kid with a Brisbane pedigree, even if it was only 9 games. However if he kept his dads goal/game ratio hope he plays 200+ for us!!!
I think there will be a lot of top end talent available in this draft. It might not have the depth of quality of last years draft, but the top 15 could be exceptional, with the next 15 being as good last years picks 16 to 30.

As much as I like James Worpal from Geelong, Darcy Fogarty from SA and Lochie O'Brien from Vic Country are the two to really watch.

i'll take Darcy Fogarty and Jayden Stephenson with ours and ports first rounders and then back it up with Conner Ballenden.
I know you've been keen on Jayden Stephenson for awhile but would rather another mid. That's not to take anything away from him but our midfield is the next area we need to develop and grow. One good thing is with players lik Stephenson who will possibly go high it'll allow a quality mid to fall to our next pick. McCluggage, Matho are a good start but it just highlights how dire our midfield for the future needs immediate focus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you've been keen on Jayden Stephenson for awhile but would rather another mid. That's not to take anything away from him but our midfield is the next area we need to develop and grow. One good thing is with players lik Stephenson who will possibly go high it'll allow a quality mid to fall to our next pick. McCluggage, Matho are a good start but it just highlights how dire our midfield for the future needs immediate focus.
You don't see Stephenson as being able to play through the midfield?

i'll take Darcy Fogarty and Jayden Stephenson with ours and ports first rounders and then back it up with Conner Ballenden.

I keep looking at Ports pick as likely to be pick 8. I would love it to be higher, but just can't bring myself to dream of it as such. So Stephenson is not one I've factored in as being a possible pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to use Ports pick to match a bid on Ballenden. Or we pass on Ballenden, in such a scenario, to draft a genuine mid like Worpel or Hunter Clark. If Schache and Hipwood progress as many hope, I can genuinely see Brisbane passing on Ballenden, unless he has a monster of a season and dominates the Div 1 Championships, if the bid comes in between our pick and Ports pick.

I keep looking at Ports pick as likely to be pick 8. I would love it to be higher, but just can't bring myself to dream of it as such. So Stephenson is not one I've factored in as being a possible pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to use Ports pick to match a bid on Ballenden. Or we pass on Ballenden, in such a scenario, to draft a genuine mid like Worpel or Hunter Clark. If Schache and Hipwood progress as many hope, I can genuinely see Brisbane passing on Ballenden, unless he has a monster of a season and dominates the Div 1 Championships, if the bid comes in between our pick and Ports pick.
Stephenson is an exciting prospect but in regards to contested ball he doesn't fill that need. I keep coming back to our engine room and needing to get that built and with two likely top ten picks (I see Ports pick lower than 8) this is a big chance to keep doing this.

Perfect scenario is that we get two highly rated mid types early and then Ballenden not to soon after as he is highly rated and more importantly deserves such a rating. The revamped u/18 div 2 champs start this weekend but all judgements should be made when the Allies play.

Everything is possible of course, but I suspect we might see hell freeze over before we pass on Ballenden! Especially if McStay moves on.

If Ballenden is still rated even top 10 by draft time, two chances of us not matching a bid.
mmmm I tend to agree with you. But I wonder if we end up with pick 1 and pick 4, if we would use pick 4 to match a bid on Ballenden if he's rated around pick 8. Just from a list balance point of view, we may have greater needs that other draftees fill.

Stephenson has future midfield gun written all over him... maybe. I think he will be a great forward but he could go either way if he plays as a mid IMO. Could fail or could be a gun. Has some freakishness to him and reminds me a bit of a very young Fyfe when he was a skinny forward flanker in the U18s nats and colt comps.

Doing a bit of draft reading and Cedric Cox's cousin and Jarrod Berry's brother will be in the North Ballarat Rebels (name now changed to Greater Western Victoria Rebels) this year in the TAC cup.

Dale Cox (2017 draft eligible): The cousin of Brisbane Lions recruit, Cedric, Dale isn’t too different from in his game style. From Halls Creek, Dale shows a lot of dash and dare up forward and takes the game on when in defensive 50. He will take sometime to adjust to the speed at TAC Cup level, but might play a starring role up forward or down back for the Rebels.

Tom Berry (2018 draft eligible): A skillful midfielder and defender from Horsham, Tom Berry is very similar to his brother, Jarrod. The 2016 under 16 Vic Country captaian has plenty of skill and leadership qualities akin to his brother. Likely to find himself playing off half back for most of the year, but could potentially play up the ground if need be.

http://overthelinesports.com.au/?p=29843

Stephenson has future midfield gun written all over him... maybe. I think he will be a great forward but he could go either way if he plays as a mid IMO. Could fail or could be a gun. Has some freakishness to him and reminds me a bit of a very young Fyfe when he was a skinny forward flanker in the U18s nats and colt comps.
Yeah Stephenson could be anything. Super exciting player. Looking forward to tracking his form this season.

We could trade Kevin Mitchell for ballarat ovals third string grass cutter. He might think he is king s**t but his off field behaviour dictates we must get rid of him.

We could trade Kevin Mitchell for ballarat ovals third string grass cutter. He might think he is king s**t but his off field behaviour dictates we must get rid of him.

Maybe Fagan can convince him to take on the Queenstown Oval as a project. That grass could use some work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back