Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
jm-leftad.jpg

The Gabba is a Cricket ground first, AFL venue second, this was always going to be an issue. It is a shame that the Lions can't play their grand final at it though.

Going by that logic so is the MCG.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think you've misunderstood my logic. There was an article in the HUN the other day where they mentioned the Gabba makes more money from cricket than it does from AFL, and for that reason they would not consider drop in pitches (thankfully too, Australia's grounds are already becoming too homogenised).

The MCG on the other hand would make more money from AFL than Cricket. So whilst both might have begun life as Cricket grounds, the Gabba is still first and foremost a cricket ground, the MCG is a bit of both, but mostly an AFL ground.

The Gabba is a Cricket ground first, AFL venue second, this was always going to be an issue. It is a shame that the Lions can't play their grand final at it though.
11 Lions games a year.

4 (maybe 5) days of historically poorly attended test cricket, 4 BBL games, a couple of international T20 or one dayers? Shield games barely count considering no one goes. So probably 11 days worth of cricket games of note.

What's the difference in terms of attendance? The Stadium Authority should allocate priority based on how much the community want to use the place. Which I've guess they've done because really it's the Adele concert that's stuffed it up for the AFLW not cricket. The pitch area would've been fine for 1 footy game if it didn't have a concert on it.

Either way, I don't buy that it's Kev's fault. The guy is the best curator in Australia.

I think this is about the AFL and Brisbane trying to low ball the Gabba on their stadium deal which currently pays 35,000 per home game. The AFL/Brisbane want that number to go down.

The Stadium Queensland authority are using their leverage by having a strike really. They've said no AFLW grand final. And they are saying maybe no AFL round 2 against Essendon. That's my reading of it. The girls are pawns in the AFL and Stadium Queensland war.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 3.44.22 pm.png
11 Lions games a year.

4 (maybe 5) days of historically poorly attended test cricket, 4 BBL games, a couple of international T20 or one dayers? Shield games barely count considering no one goes. So probably 11 days worth of cricket games of note.

What's the difference in terms of attendance? The Stadium Authority should allocate priority based on how much the community want to use the place. Which I've guess they've done because really it's the Adele concert that's stuffed it up for the AFLW not cricket. The pitch area would've been fine for 1 footy game if it didn't have a concert on it.
I'd say they will be banking on higher than average attendances due to it being an Ashes tour. Not sure about their average attendances, but I believe they get very good BBL attendances up there.

Not saying I agree with it, just that I understand it.

EDIT: just found BBL attendances, and they are very good for Brisbane

View attachment 347957
I'd say they will be banking on higher than average attendances due to it being an Ashes tour. Not sure about their average attendances, but I believe they get very good BBL attendances up there.

What's more, MCG is shifting further that way with the Junction Oval redevelopment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are two major tenants at the Gabba (of which the Lions pay top money) CA and AFL.....one is a winter sport, one is summer. There should not be an issue.

The ground should be prepared in accordance with who needs it first. Atm it is the Lions, but Mr Mitchell chose to prepare it for a cricket match in november. It is March and the start of the AFL FOOTBALL season........and when that is finished, plenty of time for Mr Mitchell to prepare the cricket pitch......but no, not him, he just went ahead and did his own thing.

The Gabba does not belong to him, he is an employee only. Should be preparing the ground for our use, whether he likes the Lions, AFL or not.

I don't know why anyone is surprised, the Gabba's a cricket ground first. Craddock was talking about this on The Back Page the other week and he was saying that the last time the Gabba pitch had to be relaid it took about 5 years to get it right. It's no surprise that making sure that the pitch has the best chance of being pristine for the ashes takes priority over the AFLW GF.

Why are they laying turf in preparation for the Ashes in March when the AFL season (from a Gabba perspective) starts on 1st April? Is an extra match a week earlier going to make a big difference?

Anyway the AFLW Lions don't play at the Gabba normally anyway, so it's not like they've had their home ground taken off them.

View attachment 347957

This is the underlying force driving this dispute I reckon. 5-6 years ago AFL (like at virtually all other grounds that cricket/footy co-use ) had gotten the whip hand at the Gabba due to the excellent crowds the Lions had gotten for a decade or so.

But in the last few years the Lions crowds have disintegrated while cricket has added the highly popular BBL matches as well as this year’s inaugural Day/Night Test which iirc was a record crowd aggregate at the Gabba for a non-Ashes Test.

It’s a rare case of any sport gaining power over the AFL in Australia and I guess they decided to wield it. They won’t win in the long run of course but I suppose Mitchell and those of a similar ethos decided to wield it while they could.

If anyone thinks the GABBA has the best test wicket in Australia, they are dead set dreaming. I couldn't care less of the variety in test wickets, as the curators only do what is required to favour Australia each and every summer.

The GABBA must hold someone accountable, and accordingly show them the door.

We are talking about $1B infrastructure, not some suburban park land.

Ha, most people here shrugged their shoulders when the afl forced the a league gf to aami park in favour of a small crowd at an afl game at etihad. The tables turn and the whinging begins.

Ha, most people here shrugged their shoulders when the afl forced the a league gf to aami park in favour of a small crowd at an afl game at etihad. The tables turn and the whinging begins.
How exactly are these two similar? That one was a scheduling conflict. This has to do with the ground not being suitable three ******* weeks after a concert for a cricket pitch not being used until November!

This is the underlying force driving this dispute I reckon. 5-6 years ago AFL (like at virtually all other grounds that cricket/footy co-use ) had gotten the whip hand at the Gabba due to the excellent crowds the Lions had gotten for a decade or so.

But in the last few years the Lions crowds have disintegrated while cricket has added the highly popular BBL matches as well as this year’s inaugural Day/Night Test which iirc was a record crowd aggregate at the Gabba for a non-Ashes Test.

It’s a rare case of any sport gaining power over the AFL in Australia and I guess they decided to wield it. They won’t win in the long run of course but I suppose Mitchell and those of a similar ethos decided to wield it while they could.
I think this actually shows the AFL has no power at the Gabba - they have no options, that's why the AFLW game is at Metricon. It's the Gabba, or nothing. The Gabba has prioritiesed cricket over AFL, as is their perogative.

Meh, why is anyone surprised?
He was always going to prioritise cricket, he'd be getting leaned on rather heavily by CA.
9 months out from the start of the test? This is not one bit funny. Mitchell sows grass for 2 of the 7 wickets and completely overlooks the fact that his actions will have consequences for the AFL & AFLW. Either Mitchell is an idiot, his actions were grossly negligent, or deliberate. I suspect the latter. I heard Mitchell is set to retire at the end of 2017. Is this his last hurrah?

I'd like to know whether the AFL /Brisbane Lions have chipped in any money towards the development of the GABBA? If not, then its time to look at other permanent options.

What has happened is an absolute slap in the face for the AFL, and for Australian Football in Brisbane

This would not happen in any other state.

9 months out from the start of the test? This is not one bit funny. Mitchell sows grass for 2 of the 7 wickets and completely overlooks the fact that his actions will have consequences for the AFL & AFLW.

The ashes test will get 140k (as a very conservative figure through the gates). Then you have the 4 Heat games at 30k (again conservative). That is 260k being very conservative. Of course they are going to prioritise the sport that will put more people through the turnstiles. it is just the way it is.

It takes months to get wickets perfect. Mitchell knows how to prepare them, he is the best in the country. If he feels that they need 5-6 weeks off after a concert I'm sure that is reasonable. In fact other curators think he is pretty spot on. The damage needed immediate repair. It is the test match pitch that is to be used in November, it takes months for the pitch to grow into the soil. More than likely it is the test pitch AND the reserve one.

Not as if the Lions will miss any home games. How about we wait for the weekend, we will know more by then in terms of next week. Every confidence the ground will be ready.

Why are they laying turf in preparation for the Ashes in March when the AFL season (from a Gabba perspective) starts on 1st April? Is an extra match a week earlier going to make a big difference?

It might, and if there is a chance it will make a difference I'm happy for them to not play the AFLW game.

The Lions are playing in the GC anyway. The womens game is on at 1pm. Not that big a deal. Surely a packed Carrara is better anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back