Society/Culture Feminism - 2017 Thread - Pt I

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
I read that earlier and a lot of it I empathised with but some of it seemed a bit too self-pitying.

For all the tears shed over Kate Ellis, we must not lose perspective. She has the luxury of a choice. Most women do not. Indeed, most men do not either. Let's look at her situation. 10+ years as an MP. Well rewarded in regards to both salary and benefits. A job that got her out of Adelaide for half the year. Loving husband. Beautiful son. I'd imagine significant post-politics career options. There are plenty of women more deserving of one's anger and tears than the retiring career politician.

Did she vote to reduce the benefits of single mothers back in 2013? (A policy I was in favour of, for what it's worth). I think the anger and tears should start at that point, and career politicians would be at the end of the line.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why can't everyone unite in more donations and research being directed toward bowel cancer?

Honestly call me a bastard but it doesn't sell. I mean the Pink Days work but some charity wanted to have something similar and have a brown day for Bowel Cancer. I mean that is just ******* disgusting and grooses people out. Has cancer funding really delivered an increased cure rate or just over diagnosis? No expert can agree on what the fundamentals are it seems one big mystery.

Not trying to be a cynic but Cancer really is an overarching term for 100s of different illnesses. It would be like calling Chicken Pox, A common cold, Hay Fever, TB, Whooping cough, Cystic Fibrosis all "The Flu" and lets have a cure. When the reality is they are not even close.

When did words like "refute" become "destroy"?

Sah masculine.
The media headline language has gotten a bit out of control these last five years. Everything has to be so dramatic and big.

Awesome doesn't even mean anything to do with awe anymore.

People slam others with bitchty comebacks

Vaguely tangential...

On the weekend, I heard a story about a particular work do on International Womens Day.

The boss stood up and said a few words. His praise for women included "they do a lot for us blokes" and similar jaw-dropping comments.

Then at the end he wanted a photo of all the workers. "Men stand behind and girls go in front on your knees."

One lady simply refused to get in the photo. He then stood over her shouting at her "to get in the bloody photo".

Such progress.

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
^^ ""Flat World Champions".
AFL Club
Richmond
Vaguely tangential...

On the weekend, I heard a story about a particular work do on International Womens Day.

The boss stood up and said a few words. His praise for women included "they do a lot for us blokes" and similar jaw-dropping comments.

Then at the end he wanted a photo of all the workers. "Men stand behind and girls go in front on your knees."

One lady simply refused to get in the photo. He then stood over her shouting at her "to get in the bloody photo".

Such progress.

whats wrong with that bit?

i am ignorant

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Vaguely tangential...

Such progress.
Firstly, it's stupid that he said 'they do a lot for us blokes'. The *? Don't both genders do a lot for each other?

Secondly, why would he tell them to get on their knees? Even if it's accidental, it's stupid and easy to avoid saying something like that.

I think that's probably generational. I think that younger men are much more inclined to treat women fairly in the work place and not feel the need to intimidate women into submission. I think that there is progress, however. Do you know if the boss was short? I've noticed in the past that shorter men tend to get angry and blame women for a lot of things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, it's stupid that he said 'they do a lot for us blokes'. The ****? Don't both genders do a lot for each other?

Secondly, why would he tell them to get on their knees? Even if it's accidental, it's stupid and easy to avoid saying something like that.
Exactly.

And that wasn't the only comment. It was all "women are good, helping men get on with the real work" type stuff. Atrocious - apparently everyone was just stunned.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Exactly.

And that wasn't the only comment. It was all "women are good, helping men get on with the real work" type stuff. Atrocious - apparently everyone was just stunned.
The sooner we get rid of this 'blokey' type of mentality the better. It's one thing that I love about feminism - removing gender roles and the idea that men should be something and women another.

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
And welcome NT to 2017. :thumbsu:Fantastic to see abortion decriminalised, and women in NT have access to control their own bodies.

Even though the bigots tried every scare campaign and pathetic story to try to sway logical, rational people.. they failed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-21/nt-abortion-debate-hears-from-all-sides-of-parliament/8374464
The nutter independent that opposed it and made the arguments as described in that article was a footy umpire in the Darwin footy comp till recently.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The sooner we get rid of this 'blokey' type of mentality the better. It's one thing that I love about feminism - removing gender roles and the idea that men should be something and women another.

Agree entirely.

Only problem is women are free to shed their old dated gender roles (which is excellent) while men are still expected to keep theirs. Maybe it is just human nature or maybe society will adapt. I don't know.

Agree entirely.

Only problem is women are free to shed their old dated gender roles (which is excellent) while men are still expected to keep theirs. Maybe it is just human nature or maybe society will adapt. I don't know.

What us blokes need to do is stop giving s**t to other blokes that don't follow those roles, and be comfortable with ourselves if we aren't in those roles.

Easier said than done I suppose.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
What us blokes need to do is stop giving s**t to other blokes that don't follow those roles, and be comfortable with ourselves if we aren't in those roles.

Easier said than done I suppose.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
And to call out anyone of either gender that acts like it's still 1950, expecting men to pay for everything, or expecting women to clean for you etc.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Men and women are different and will always be different. The only 'gender roles' that matter are mother and father and I can't see that changing in a hurry.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Vaguely tangential...

Such progress.

Idiots. Although I've heard bosses do the opposite and say men do nothing of value etc. Just shut up either way. Not impressing anyone anyway and people just want to go about their lives without a bullshit tokenist ceremony.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back