Channel 7 once again sparing us from women commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Anecdotally, Indigenous players tend to shy away from the public spotlight.

Without wanting to turn the discussion into an in-depth look at Indigenous issues, Indigenous players after leaving the AFL system largely reflect Indigenous people in everyday society. Plenty of ex-players (non-Indigenous) study qualifications while playing, have successful careers after football etc. There aren't that many Indigenous lawyers, doctors, business owners out there and Indigenous ex-players generally reflect that trend. There are massive cultural differences between coming through the Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth private school systems and coming from a regional area or community.

There's a also a language/communication barrier for some Indigenous players. Adam Goodes is as well spoken as any white bloke, but you wouldn't imagine someone from a community in the NT calling games on 7. That being said Glen Jakovich and Tony Shaw get gigs...

Speaking of Adam Goodes, I also don't think there's an appetite in the footy media/footy public for Indigenous personalities who politicise the game. Not sure if his forays into the media will inspire or discourage current Indigenous players from going down the media path.

Being aboriginal I understand all that but times are a changing and I would of thought that over the last 10 years in particular there would of been some who would of been more than capable even if only as special comments initially.

I do know that like you say shyness is a factor as is the shame factor. I'm also aware that those who could probably make a career of it ie. Edwards, Burgoyne etc are more than likely to do mentoring roles so as to give back to community and make a difference.

When you know you're right you can carry a big chip

Prove me wrong with what I said

Well I did ask the question but you didn't respond

As it stands at the moment of labourers only 29% are females but in trades it's only around 7%. So why is it you think women don't pursue these jobs as the money is pretty good even though even when doing the same work women are paid less.

Well I did ask the question but you didn't respond

As it stands at the moment of labourers only 29% are females but in trades it's only around 7%. So why is it you think women don't pursue these jobs as the money is pretty good even though even when doing the same work women are paid less.

Most women don't want to be dirty and smelly and do hard laborious work for hours on end. Women cannot keep up to the same pace as men in hard difficult jobs. It's also too tough on the skin, nails, hair and body.
Many women still work hard doing more indoor type work hence they are good in sale departments.

Most women don't want to be dirty and smelly and do hard laborious work for hours on end. Women cannot keep up to the same pace as men in hard difficult jobs. It's also too tough on the skin, nails, hair and body.
Many women still work hard doing more indoor type work hence they are good in sale departments.
So why do you want it to be 50% women in these jobs then?
It's pretty clear that women aren't up to the physicality of the job and it's a pretty hard workforce to get into for women because of exactly that reason.
You're arguments don't make sense and are incredibly unfair.

the cognitive dissonance with some of the mental pygmies in this thread is astounding -

"I'm all for gender equality but why do women think they need to be involved in everything?"

fmd

I'd also go to far as to say those complaining about 'feminazis' are more precious than the 'SJWs' that enrage them so much

Also the 'well established fact that feminism is cancer' has all the hallmarks of a reddit posting, neckbeard

Lol. There are women only gyms, women only train carriages, women only social clubs etc etc. Men don't feel the need to call them sexist and stop them from happening. I know who the mental Pygmy is and if you can't contribute without insulting people then check yourself.

Kelli has a voice suited to silent movies, but she knows plenty about the game. I didn't enjoy her AFLW commentary, but I really enjoyed some of the side commentators. Daisy Pearce did plenty of work on Saturdays last year, and a few others were really impressive. Criticising Kelli because her voice is unpleasant isn't sexist; what's sexist is turning around and using her as an example of why female commentators are a bad idea.

Meanwhile, I could swear Tiffany Cherry and Christi Malthouse were boundary riders on the old Fox Footy? What happened to them?

Worth pointing out that the promo shots were of six established commentators (even if Ling, Carey, Watson and especially Hamish don't belong on TV). Its not as if they went out of their way to under-represent. Arguing for representation is important, even if those who get the most airtime are the most controversial because they get the most clicks.

+1. Quite like Daisy too and the Bulldogs Captain commentating on the Grand Final today was good too. Underwood is awful though.

women only train carriages in Australia? where?

I didn't call anyone sexist - but the complaining by so many in here about 'feminazis' and the like is ridiculous

Where did I say Australia? Pretty sure gender issues are international. You also called people who have a different opinion as you 'mental pygmies' which is a classic leftie move. Debate on facts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why would you bring up women only carriages from overseas? it has no relevance to this discussion about women being represented on Australian Football commentary panels

also, if you are talking about women only carriages from say, Iran, and the like (I know they exist there, my ex lived traveled there) that are laws enforced by men

but this conversation is getting stupid and irrelevant

why would you bring up women only carriages from overseas? it has no relevance to this discussion about women being represented on Australian Football commentary panels

also, if you are talking about women only carriages from say, Iran, and the like (I know they exist there, my ex lived traveled there) that are laws enforced by men

but this conversation is getting stupid and irrelevant

Ok then ignore the women only train carriages. There are numerous other examples of women only institutions etc. happy now?

When the high paying, loud big mouth radical feminists and their male fans start demanding that woman do 50% of the hard manual labour work that men do in freezing and stinking hot conditions then they have a right to demand 50% in high paying ,cushy, comfortable jobs

You wouldn't expect 50% of the workforce in hard manual labour to be women because biology dictates that women are generally physically weaker. Do you think women are biologically unable to talk about what they see, as commentators do? Also, nobody has said half the commentators should be women, just that maybe it'd be an idea to have more than 0% be women. But nice straw man.

BTW my wife agrees with me because she is a normal employee who gets basic wages and all the screeching by the elite feminists has not helped her....they only help certain women in positions of power to expect and demand more for themselves and their colleagues.

I'm sure the legislated maternity leave wasn't won by screeching feminists at all.

The average normal woman who works hard has been conned to support their 'sisters' but the high flying 'sisters' don't care about the normal women's struggles they only care about their fame, wealth and cushy lifestyle.

My mum worked hard to raise a family and there was no feminists to cheer her on or to help. The feminists were too busy demanding CEO, govt and high flying positions and when they got there they didn't help the average woman

Cool story bro.

So why do you want it to be 50% women in these jobs then?
It's pretty clear that women aren't up to the physicality of the job and it's a pretty hard workforce to get into for women because of exactly that reason.
You're arguments don't make sense and are incredibly unfair.

It's not unfair as they want all the privileges without making the sacrifices. Who says they deserve high paying jobs just because they are women.

It's not unfair as they want all the privileges without making the sacrifices. Who says they deserve high paying jobs just because they are women.
What sacrifices?! What are you even talking about?
We are talking about the lack of women on the commentary team, not the lack of women in labour jobs what does this have to with what you are saying?

What sacrifices?! What are you even talking about?
We are talking about the lack of women on the commentary team, not the lack of women in labour jobs what does this have to with what you are saying?

I think, he is saying, that if women want to be on the AFL commentary panel, then there needs to be 50/50 split of men and women in manual labour jobs

This is a perfect example of the self serving bullshit nonsense that derails all of the great work our country and our communities work for that allows us to live in this great country. Yes there are massive problems with equality on all fronts but the changes on serious issues are always changing for the good, petty bullshit like these arguments are brought to our attention only to serve selfish reasons, make no mistake. To touch on this story though here is the thing, the article ridicules a game and network that has been nothing but supportive of change which is unfair. Secondly the story neglects to tell us that the 'new' line up is e same as last year with 2 new full time recruits in Jim Bartel and daisy Pearce ( Yes, has gone from part time to FT). I lean to the left in general but this crap is the reason we give up.

I think, he is saying, that if women want to be on the AFL commentary panel, then there needs to be 50/50 split of men and women in manual labour jobs

I would love to see those 2 clowns Penny Wong and Tanya Plibersak digging sewers instead of getting their cushy position due to ALP policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back