Channel 7 once again sparing us from women commentators

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
What a surprise that you and your SJWs would be upset. Anytime someone has a different opinion to you then they must be bigoted hey?? **** you

who is upset?

and no one calls someone a bigot for having different opinions

you get called a bigot if you say stuff like 'women shouldn't be able to commentate footy games'

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
who is upset?

you get called a bigot if you say stuff like 'women shouldn't be able to commentate footy games'

Men shouldn't be able to commentate netball games. Funny how no one gets outraged when someone says that.

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
You realize, of course, that a primary reason such carriages, such clubs, such gyms etc etc exist is to protect their users from men. It's not an act of sexism, it's an act of safety.

And domestic violence is only male against female...

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
They tend to be 'window dressing' though, barely a step up from grid girls, dancing girls/cheer leaders etc... It's blatantly obvious that most ( besides a handful of exceptions) got the gig based mainly on their looks rather than their knowledge of the sport they're reporting on. The same applies for women hired for 'political' discussions as well, hardly any average looking women on political panels from what I've seen.

That hiring decisions are based on looks is ultimately regrettable. Though as a visual medium also inevitable.

But how many in Channel Seven's commentary team are there on merit? Are we really supposed to believe that the absolute best talent available just happens to be past footballers with no previous experience in presenting or public speaking? That would be quite remarkable if true.

The reality is that there would be good and bad female commentators and there is good and bad reporters but that is already true with the barrage of untalented former players that have no public speaking or presenting experience. You will never identify the good female commentators unless they can first get a commentary gig.

Is there really not a woman in Australia who can replicate Cameron Ling and shout "How are you feeling?" after a football match?

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
who is upset?

You have insulted people with a different opinion throughout this thread

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
You have insulted people with a different opinion throughout this thread

I've sent a few insults people's way who've said stupid s**t like 'I'm all for equality, but women shouldn't commentate footy games'

someone else even said 'footy is a men's game' -- did he just miss the entire AFLW season?

I challenge you to find me arguing or insulting someone who said 'I'm not interested in women's footy' - that's what an opinion is- discriminating against someone based on arbitrary identity markers is when you start entering bigot status

You should learn the difference

Debating on things other than facts. Says a lot.

Dance, small person! Entertain us with your japes and capering!

200.gif

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are we equal though? We may be in legal rights but that doesn't mean that we are equal. Women are still looked at as being people who will leave a work place because she has to go get pregnant/ look after the kids. It's is the average pay that is so low for women. This is because we are still treated as secondary income earners.
Feminism for me is more about social issues eg the right to not be sexually assulated walking down the street or in the work place, domestic violence(which is working for both male and female victims), I want to go to the football and not have sexist comments made st me. I am a woman and I experience sexism quite frequently and I know a lot of women who do.
It I think you have more than moved away from the topic at hand, so please feel free to private message me if you want to continue what has been a fabulous discussion on how I am equal.

Honestly if there are women who are good at football commentary, why would you want to work for channel 7 or any channel?
Even if she deserves it on merit there will always be people who claim she only got there because of 'political correctness'.
So she's got 100% more pressure on her than any of her male counterparts. She's going to be stressed every day and scared because she's seen the comments made about other women involved in the AFL and let's face it they are all either about their looks or about how hey don't know anything. She's terrified she's going to slip up because she knows the public will scrutinise her to death, then she gets fired because 'she doesn't fit the mould' meanwhile no one bats an eyelid at Hamish McLaughlin or Brian Taylor

We're not equal in legal rights at all. Wife leaves husband and takes the kids and easily ostracises the kids from the father with the endorsement of the family court. If the now ex wife doesn't like the outcome 'he hit me your honour'. No evidence necessary and now dad doesn't get to see his kids at all but he's still paying a kings ransom in child maintenance costs of course. Ex wife now living a new life with new boyfriend and kids all paid for by the now traumatised/depressed/suicidal father. #equality #21fathers #theaustralianfathersrightsmivement

Sorry you might feel stressed at work because you're a female in a job about male sport. Men also feel stressed at work and also work in female dominated workplaces. Let's make equality across the board before we whinge that there aren't enough women commentating a male sport.

Roovolution

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've sent a few insults people's way who've said stupid s**t like 'I'm all for equality, but women shouldn't commentate footy games'

someone else even said 'footy is a men's game' -- did he just miss the entire AFLW season?

I challenge you to find me arguing or insulting someone who said 'I'm not interested in women's footy' - that's what an opinion is- discriminating against someone based on arbitrary identity markers is when you start entering bigot status

You should learn the difference

So insulting people is ok if someone says something you don't like? How about you just not insult people at all.

Mar 25, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
That hiring decisions are based on looks is ultimately regrettable. Though as a visual medium also inevitable.

But how many in Channel Seven's commentary team are there on merit? Are we really supposed to believe that the absolute best talent available just happens to be past footballers with no previous experience in presenting or public speaking? That would be quite remarkable if true.

The reality is that there would be good and bad female commentators and there is good and bad reporters but that is already true with the barrage of untalented former players that have no public speaking or presenting experience. You will never identify the good female commentators unless they can first get a commentary gig.

Is there really not a woman in Australia who can replicate Cameron Ling and shout "How are you feeling?" after a football match?

I'm not opposed to women being hired for commentating on sports like they do in the US. I just don't think their inclusion is this serious urgent matter that desperately needs to be addressed.

It won't amount to anything of substance/significance in the larger scheme of things, it'd be pure tokenism plain and simple. Ultimately these women will only serve to be mere eye candy for the vast majority of the sports audience which happens to be male.

I would've thought that there are much bigger issues at stake for women than whether females are part of sports commentary teams. So I find it amusing that women (and some 'leftie' men I suppose) in developed nations waste so much time and breath bleating about trivial meaningless nonsense of this sort. *shrugs*

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Also the family court argument is a load of wank - Firstly adults should behave like adults and when I hear of acrimonious splits when children are involved I can't help but think less of both of them - Grow up

for what it's worth, and I know it's a small sample size, but I know two ex-couples with a child.
1st situation the child is now 12 and lives full time with his Dad in Adelaide and his Mum lives in Mildura - he sees her for school holidays and that's about it

2nd situation the child is 5 and she lives a couple days a week a Dad's and a couple days a week at Mum's

But yeah - don't tell that to your MRA support group it might not go down very wel

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Was that an individual contract as opposed to an award wage? I can't understand why they'd pay her less and if I was her I'd kick up a stink and or report them.

Individual - she negotiated, having discovered after the offer was tabled just how much they'd lowballed her in reference to the previous manager. I just can't stomach the talk of the wage gap "myth". It exists and companies still try to get away with it.

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
What a surprise that you and your SJWs would be upset. Anytime someone has a different opinion to you then they must be bigoted hey?? **** you

Note that the "SJWs" have been calmly debating for the most part while the SQWs (status quo warriors) are the ones flipping their lids.

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
We're not equal in legal rights at all. Wife leaves husband and takes the kids and easily ostracises the kids from the father with the endorsement of the family court. If the now ex wife doesn't like the outcome 'he hit me your honour'. No evidence necessary and now dad doesn't get to see his kids at all but he's still paying a kings ransom in child maintenance costs of course. Ex wife now living a new life with new boyfriend and kids all paid for by the now traumatised/depressed/suicidal father. #equality #21fathers #theaustralianfathersrightsmivement

Sorry you might feel stressed at work because you're a female in a job about male sport. Men also feel stressed at work and also work in female dominated workplaces. Let's make equality across the board before we whinge that there aren't enough women commentating a male sport.

Cuh, women.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I just can't stomach the talk of the wage gap "myth". It exists and companies still try to get away with it.

Equal pay regardless of gender is enshrined in law. A level 4 is a level 4, period. I challenge anyone to name companies which don't comply.

The so-called wage gap is created solely by figures at the pointy end, for managerial and executive roles like the one you've described. That is a separate discussion.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Neroli meadows is very good at what she does. I think Tiffany Cherry is very good as well. Even Sam Lane is good at what she does. even Caroline Wilson has her moments.

On the other hand Kelly Underwoods delivery and tone just drives me up the wall and Anna harrington just comes across like an amateur IMO.

Also a big fan of Tracy Holmes voice work for the ABC

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference and it's not about male or female. I find Taylor, Brereton and Lyon very irritating. Both Sam Lane and Tim Lane give me the shits. I respect Caroline Wilson as a journalist but she comes across badly on TV. For me, Footy Classified is unwatchable but not just because of her - Hutchy is also awful. Then again, I've seen opinion on here that they like these people. However, Kelly Underwood seems have fairly universal dislike of her voice and style.

For me it 'feels right', regardless of the sport, if I'm watching a men's game to have male commentators and if I'm watching a women's game to have females on the voice-over. It would be interesting to hear from some females whether Kelly Underwood's voice grates with them. Actually, let me retract that slightly. My personal preference for games where I'm familiar with the teams would be to have no commentators - just ambient noise like the crowd and umpire's whistles etc. When I go to a game I don't have someone in my ear telling me what I am seeing. I don't need that when I'm watching on TV.

Back