Analysis Official Nick Suban Holding The Ball Watch 2017

Nick Suban?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_3_594_338_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

hotfooty090716-620x330.jpg

Nick Suban is very good at being caught holding the ball. Fact.

In fact, I believe nary a game goes by without Subes getting pinged for holding it. Now I considered doing this on the Bay, however sadly I feel this is a phenomenon only diehard Freo fans can truly understand. I have in fact searched for stats to support this common held belief, but alas, it appears the AFL don't value stats for such a niche talent in our game. Therefore, I will be tracking his performance week by week, providing a running tally of our club's statistical leader in the field of "taking on blokes when he shouldn't and not being good enough to dispose of it legally".

So given the MC's obsession with picking the bloke purely on "reputation" :drunk: and what I can only imagine is an undying belief in his still unfulfilled "potential", I decided to dedicate a thread to tracking his prowess in this undervalued statistical field.

I give you, the Official Nick Suban Holding The Ball watch 2017. :rainbow:

Last edited:

Sometimes I think that's his job...to tie the ball up in a contest. He tends to win a few free kicks in packs as well. Its not a burning issue.

In fact, I believe nary a game goes by without Subes getting pinged for holding it. Now I considered doing this on the Bay, however sadly I feel this is a phenomena only us diehard Freo fans can truly understand. I have in fact searched for stats to support this common held belief, but alas, it appears the AFL don't value stats for such a niche talent in our game. Therefore, I will be tracking his performance week by week, providing a running tally of our club's statistical leader in the field of "taking on blokes when he shouldn't and not being good enough to dispose of it legally".

So given the MC's obsession with picking the bloke purely on "reputation" :drunk: and what I can only imagine is an undying belief in his still unfulfilled "potential", I decided to dedicate a thread to tracking his prowess in this undervalued statistical field.

r0_3_594_338_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

hotfooty090716-620x330.jpg

In fact, I believe nary a game goes by without Subes getting pinged for holding it. Now I considered doing this on the Bay, however sadly I feel this is a phenomena only us diehard Freo fans can truly understand. I have in fact searched for stats to support this common held belief, but alas, it appears the AFL don't value stats for such a niche talent in our game. Therefore, I will be tracking his performance week by week, providing a running tally of our club's statistical leader in the field of "taking on blokes when he shouldn't and not being good enough to dispose of it legally".

Subes has never been caught holding the ball at training ever and in the scratchie for Peel against West Perth as couple of weeks ago he wasn't caught either so he deserves his spot for today.

Subes has never been caught holding the ball at training ever and in the scratchie for Peel against West Perth as couple of weeks ago he wasn't caught either so he deserves his spot for today.
Nick Suban likes this :thumbsu:

d85e182f84d1873bd41cd26436cfe66a.jpeg

Suban is ranked in the high 90's for frees against. There are a hell of a lot who are bigger culprits in the give a free kick away stakes than Suban but never let a good furphy get in the front of a good story.:D

Is disapprove of this thread and request this be taken down immediately!!!
I'm not sure if I approve of the thread or not, but I promise you if Suban finishes the game on 0 frees against, I will kill the thread :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if I approve of the thread or not, but I promise you if Suban finishes the game on 0 frees against, I will kill the thread :)
Challenge accepted. :thumbsu:

Hey, If he proves me wrong I'll be happy as anyone :rainbow:

Last edited:
If you're going to keep a count for Suban - you may as well keep a count for the whole team. It would be a good study in scapegoating - either confirming the bias, or highlighting that others get caught more than people are aware of.

Oh and effective disposals per HTB would be interesting to see too ;) You'd think midfielders would get pinged more often, but likewise have higher disposals to offset

Nah keep it all season and the proof will be in he pudding. I don't think he gets caught as much as we think he does, it's just cos it's Susan, we notice it more

Nah keep it all season and the proof will be in he pudding. I don't think he gets caught as much as we think he does, it's just cos it's Susan, we notice it more
It's more an effective touches to HTB issue with Suban. Too few touches for a midfielder who doesn't tag, and too many holding the balls for someone not getting much of it.

Fyfey gets pinged a fair bit more than we probably realise but when he 30 and 3's you can forgive that. :cool:

Challenge accepted. :thumbsu:

Hey, If he proves me wrong I'll be happy as anyone :rainbow:

If you're going to be so pedantic - the photo you've chosen of the Melbourne game shows 2 Melbourne players Vandenburg (37) and Kent (16). In the only games where both of these players have played together against Fremantle, Suban has recorded 0 free kicks against (Melbourne).

If you're going to be so pedantic - the photo you've chosen of the Melbourne game shows 2 Melbourne players Vandenburg (37) and Kent (16). In the only games where both of these players have played together against Fremantle, Suban has recorded 0 free kicks against (Melbourne).
He's hardly looking to dish it off though is he? :$

Just having a laugh and poking some fun mate, perhaps even stirring a little s**t.

I've got no venom towards #mymatenick, just reckon he gets pinged a fair bit and thought it might be a little funny to see just how much. :p

Will happily have a backfire tag slapped on me if he creams it today :D

Why doesn't he just kick it!
Uh, because sometimes it's better to risk giving away a free kick in a pack than let the ball slip out the back. Surely anyone who's watched Freo the past few years understands repeated stoppages has been a strategy, along with forcing teams to move the ball out of congestion via the back of the pack. Suban has done what he's asked to by the coach, which is why he gets games.
Given the shift away from that strategy last year and other footy trends, the interesting question is whether Suban will be able to hold a spot down in a different role.

Back