Are the Dees on the verge of something great? - will they make the top 4?

Culture problem at the demons?

• yes?

Votes: 83 40.9%
  • no?

Votes: 71 35.0%
  • Unprecedent?

Votes: 49 24.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Just throwing it out there because, well, just because. They've got a good list the dees. Been together a while now some of these fellas and they could be ready to take that next step. Not sure if it's a year or two to early but doesn't one team usually bob up in the 4 each season. GWS did last year, as did the cats. West coast the year before. May have been the same teams in 2013-14 but a surprise packet does bob up.

Anyway this post will no doubt cause create some good discussion over the course of the season.

Can the dees cause a bit of a stir in season 2017? Can those lads make the top 4? I'll go out on a limb and say they will.

Last edited:

I'm really thankful that a Melbourne supporter didn't create thus thread, way too early to even think about finals at all.

I'm really thankful that a Melbourne supporter didn't create thus thread, way too early to even think about finals at all.
You can say that for most teams. Just about anyone.

Man up now son no room for pussys holding back their opinion.

The same team (more or less) got rolled by Carlton Rd 22 last year. Signs are positive so far but will not get excited til we bring the intensity of Saturdays game Up to the bye. If we go into the bye with a 7-3 win loss differential, which is possible with our draw, then I'll dare to dream.

Let's keep one thing clear - the teams that do make the top 4 are generally the teams that have the mettle to win at least some of the tough, close games against good opposition. Winning or losing those close games can be the difference between, say, 4th and 9th.

However good the list may be, we have to keep in mind that Melbourne has only beaten one team at this point in the season, and it wasn't really a close one for much of it (though they did show good spirit to take control of the match after being down in the first). It was also against a team that, like them, is also tipped to be at best one of the cluster of teams fighting for a bottom-of-the-8 spot.

Every week will offer a little more insight into where the Dees are at this year. Next week, they're 'supposed' to win - will they do a convincing job against a team most predict aren't a finals contender? The week after they'll get to match it with one of last year's preliminary finalists, and besides Freo in round 4 I think it is, they have quite a few matches against contenders which we can gauge them against.

Let's just not forget - last year they had a great round 1 win over an eventual prelim finalist, before losing to the eventual wooden spooners the following week.

Yeah just took a look at the first 7-8 games or so and you can easily be 6-1 or even 7-0.

Playing the likes of Carlton, Richmond, freo, dons, hawks, you can win all of those. Probably mark the cats gane down as a loss but even that you can win. After crows there's games vs the pies, kangas and suns. Dees could be just two losses at the half way point of the season.

I think it's gonna be a big year for the dees. Irrespective of top 4, I think you'll make the finals in a canter. Would be good to see them back playing finals footy.

The same team (more or less) got rolled by Carlton Rd 22 last year. Signs are positive so far but will not get excited til we bring the intensity of Saturdays game Up to the bye. If we go into the bye with a 7-3 win loss differential, which is possible with our draw, then I'll dare to dream.
Geelong lost to Carlton last year. It means squat. Catters made the 4. I get what you're saying though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 4 no, Top 8 yes.
With your name arent you supposed to wait until the end of the season before you give out predictions?

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

241316_dc555c10bcaf08dd789c655bc656ef7f.jpg

I reckon they are on the path there but probably one year away. I reckon they will earn themselves a home final but not top 4. Their midfield looks very potent already but still has a lot of improvement in it and they have the best ruck in the game backing them up. Lets see if they can show a ruthless edge against Carlton.

I heard Nathan G. Brown over the weekend talking about how he thinks this could happen, so you're not the only one throwing it out there OP. His reasoning stemmed from a favourable draw, too. With a new coach, it sounds like a bold prediction. But think about this: Ken Hinkley inherited a 5.5-win team and took them to a semifinal in his first year, then to a prelim in the next year before arguably other teams began to work Port Adelaide out.

Melbourne won 10 matches last year. They have a very good ruckman, some excellent young talent, one of the recruits of the off-season, as well as a couple of other important experienced players that are still playing close to their best football. This may well be a year of great opportunity for them, perhaps moreso than a few seasons from now.

Back