Women's Footy Congratulations to the Adelaide Crows, inaugural Women's Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 28, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, West Adelaide
Dunstall can bugger off on the Women's Grand Final and saying that the Lions were probably hard done by for a couple of decisions. Did he look at two of the goals they got from Frees that were pretty suspect? Did he look at Tayla Harris blocking Randall in the opening minutes from contesting a ball up? Did he look at Harris again illegally pulling Randall out of a contest? I could watch again and pick so many mistakes from the umpiring because they are using development umpires when instead you need the more experienced umpires at that level.

Edit: Yup he was on about the last two kicks we had in the game which in the men's game is holding the ball but in the Women's game it has never been adjudicated the same all this season for holding the ball, there is a lot more leeway given, and he said he wasn't sure if it had been adjudicated differently. Maybe do some research first, Jason before mouthing off that Brisbane were hard done by.

It's not even holding the ball in the Men's game apparently, because it happened yesterday to a GWS player and no free was given. :rolleyes:

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still not keen on it. The only politician I want involved in sport is Hawkey and that's when he's downing a beer at the cricket.

I agree. Politicians are kinda damned if they do/don't when it comes to situations like that. He was getting egged on to join in, he chooses between looking like a prat in front of the team or looking like a prat on TV/photos. It was only for 1 of the photos and was part of the recognition of the support from the state governments (QLD premier was there also).

Similarly cringey moments to be had at the Sydney game with Turnbull being asked to sing the Swans song.

Encanto

Senior List
Aug 5, 2008
Cranbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's not even holding the ball in the Men's game apparently, because it happened yesterday to a GWS player and no free was given. :rolleyes:
I believe it's not holding the ball if the player being tackled makes a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball by kicking or handballing it. In the cases that Dunstall was talking about both Bevan and Phillips tried to kick the ball.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I could be wrong, but my memory of the way it works is that if an infringement happens before the siren, but the umpire hasn't blown the whistle by the time the siren sounds, then it's not a free kick. The umpire has to have blown the whistle before the siren for it to count, even if the infringement itself happened beforehand.

Given that Erin's attempt at kick happened literally as the siren blew, it was never going to be a free kick. The tackle was one second too late.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
C72AgwUVYAAwS2P.jpg:large

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Is Tex Perkins going to stay in SA and play in the women's comp here?

I'm gonna send you back to wherever the hell it was you came
And then I'm gonna get this tattoo changed to another girls name

The honeymoon is over baby, it's never gonna be that way again!

(Going back to Vic)

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I believe it's not holding the ball if the player being tackled makes a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball by kicking or handballing it. In the cases that Dunstall was talking about both Bevan and Phillips tried to kick the ball.

It always used to be that way, but I believe no longer: if you miss the ball with hand or foot, they have paid a free for some years, regardless of "trying".
I don't believe Piggy has anything at all against us, but I think he probably didn't watch much AFLW during the main season. In my (brief) observations, these non-rulings at the end of the final were totally consistent with the AFLW umpiring for everyone during the whole season, i.e., much more tolerant of dropped ball than the AFL. This has been very noticeable: different "rules".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm a bit disappointed we haven't seen a coaches box reaction for the final siren, surely they had a camera in their like they always do for the men.

Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
Well done Crows ladies, best team going forward all year. Massive effort to bring a team based in two locations together and have them gel so well.
I did get along to the match vs Blues at Thebby Oval and really enjoyed it despite losing the match.

Can't wait for next season. Also go my Norwood ladies :)

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back