Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

meh, wouldn't have any effect whatsoever, these girls just wanted to play AFL

You think the girls from the melbourne draft all supported the 1/4 clubs they got picked up by? when there are 10 clubs in melbourne to support...

ditto with the other states who would have had the same "problem"
I don't have an issue with players not being supporters of the club they are drafted to, it's a completely different story when they still don't like the club after that club gave them an opportunity. It's not just that they don't support the club it's an active dislike by some.

Good effort from Lara Filocamo to come 3rd in the Womens BnF with 9 votes

Erin Phillips first with 14, Ellie Blackburn and Karen Paxman tied 2nd with 10 votes

Good - Priority Keep
OK - Keep
Down - Didnt reach potential but still better than alternatives, Keep
Underperformed - keep. Needs to improve or will be last year.
Poor - delist
Not up to it - delist
Project - injured/young, worth persevering with unless list space is needed.

Nb I have made underperformed a keep, purely because I think the rules will preclude wholesale culling, so they will have to stay on the list

Kira Phillips - Project. She is undeniably talented, but also lazy and unfit, and lacks core strength. Worth it if they can fix this.
Amy Lovell - Underperformed. Dominant in a good WAWFL team, different thing in the AFLW
Ebony Antonio - Good, still has upside as well
Kirby Bentley - Down. Was ok, but has the potential to be dominant. Came back from ACL just prior to the first game.
Hayley Miller - Down. Again was ok, but had the potential to be a dominant player.
Ashley Sharp - OK. Played her role. In and out of play as a small forward.
Stacey Barr - Down - Did some things, but the Dockers had to many doing `some` things. Has upside due to relative inexperience
Melissa Caulfield - Down, talented but didnt get out of her what was expected.
Demi Okely - Poor
Kara Donellan - Good
Brianna Green - OK, was injured most of the season.
Lara Filocamo - Good
Tiah Haynes - OK
Cassie Davison - Down, skilled, would do better in a better performing team
Taylah Angel - OK,
Stephanie Cain - Underperformed
Dana Hooker - Good
Tayla Breslan - OK
Kelly Clinch - poor
Belinda Smith - Not up to it
Tarnica Golisano - poor but young, so maybe project
Taryn Priestly - poor, did she even play?
Susan Chuot - Down, did have a few injuries
Emily Bonser - project, out for year with inury. Serious injuries, so a question over wether she gets back
Gabby O`Sullivan - ok, lots of upside
Gemma Houghton - OK, also lots of upside
Kiara Bowers - injured
Beatrice Devlyn - poor, but was a late inclusion, also young, so project
Kim Mickle - done as a footy player I think

I heard Simon Lethlean mention clubs retaining 15 - 22 players. If its 22, then all on the chopping block, plus half the borderline players will go.
If its 15, then all the chopping block, borderline and last chance players, plus 2 in the keep list will be delisted, but I expect some will be relisted.

So by my reckoning
On the chopping block
Kim Mickle
Taryn Priestly
Belinda Smith
Kelly Clinch
Demi Okely

Borderline
Beatrice Devlyn
Emily Bonser
Tarnica Golisano
Kira Phillips

Last chance
Stephanie Cain
Amy Lovell

Keeping
Ebony Antonio
Kirby Bentley
Hayley Miller
Ashley Sharp
Stacey Barr
Melissa Caulfield
Kara Donellan
Brianna Green
Lara Filocamo
Tiah Haynes
Cassie Davison
Taylah Angel
Dana Hooker
Tayla Breslan
Susan Chuot
Gabby O`Sullivan
Gemma Houghton
Kiara Bowers

Thoughts?

Good - Priority Keep
OK - Keep
Down - Didnt reach potential but still better than alternatives, Keep
Underperformed - keep. Needs to improve or will be last year.
Poor - delist
Not up to it - delist
Project - injured/young, worth persevering with unless list space is needed.

Nb I have made underperformed a keep, purely because I think the rules will preclude wholesale culling, so they will have to stay on the list

Kira Phillips - Project. She is undeniably talented, but also lazy and unfit, and lacks core strength. Worth it if they can fix this.
Amy Lovell - Underperformed. Dominant in a good WAWFL team, different thing in the AFLW
Ebony Antonio - Good, still has upside as well
Kirby Bentley - Down. Was ok, but has the potential to be dominant. Came back from ACL just prior to the first game.
Hayley Miller - Down. Again was ok, but had the potential to be a dominant player.
Ashley Sharp - OK. Played her role. In and out of play as a small forward.
Stacey Barr - Down - Did some things, but the Dockers had to many doing `some` things. Has upside due to relative inexperience
Melissa Caulfield - Down, talented but didnt get out of her what was expected.
Demi Okely - Poor
Kara Donellan - Good
Brianna Green - OK, was injured most of the season.
Lara Filocamo - Good
Tiah Haynes - OK
Cassie Davison - Down, skilled, would do better in a better performing team
Taylah Angel - OK,
Stephanie Cain - Underperformed
Dana Hooker - Good
Tayla Breslan - OK
Kelly Clinch - poor
Belinda Smith - Not up to it
Tarnica Golisano - poor but young, so maybe project
Taryn Priestly - poor, did she even play?
Susan Chuot - Down, did have a few injuries
Emily Bonser - project, out for year with inury. Serious injuries, so a question over wether she gets back
Gabby O`Sullivan - ok, lots of upside
Gemma Houghton - OK, also lots of upside
Kiara Bowers - injured
Beatrice Devlyn - poor, but was a late inclusion, also young, so project
Kim Mickle - done as a footy player I think

I heard Simon Lethlean mention clubs retaining 15 - 22 players. If its 22, then all on the chopping block, plus half the borderline players will go.
If its 15, then all the chopping block, borderline and last chance players, plus 2 in the keep list will be delisted, but I expect some will be relisted.

So by my reckoning
On the chopping block
Kim Mickle
Taryn Priestly
Belinda Smith
Kelly Clinch
Demi Okely

Borderline
Beatrice Devlyn
Emily Bonser
Tarnica Golisano
Kira Phillips

Last chance
Stephanie Cain
Amy Lovell

Keeping
Ebony Antonio
Kirby Bentley
Hayley Miller
Ashley Sharp
Stacey Barr
Melissa Caulfield
Kara Donellan
Brianna Green
Lara Filocamo
Tiah Haynes
Cassie Davison
Taylah Angel
Dana Hooker
Tayla Breslan
Susan Chuot
Gabby O`Sullivan
Gemma Houghton
Kiara Bowers

Thoughts?
Good review. A lot of what you can cut depends on what is available. I expect list sizes to increase so the task will be tricky.

I would also have Cain on the chopping block. Develyn was a train on who was promoted due to injury. Not sure what the rules are on keeping those. She was very lucky to be promoted, there were better young players available. You also miss replacement Janz. I would keep her (if you can) as she gives effort in the ruck.

You only address playing form too. I think there are "attitude" issues that need to be sorted for long term stability.

So do we sign up our marquee players again? That's essentially the choice. Adelaide will surely have to sign up Phillips. So someone will be displaced.

I would wait and see. Can't see anyone stealing a player on our current list. Maybe Donnellan if we left her unsigned.

So do we sign up our marquee players again? That's essentially the choice. Adelaide will surely have to sign up Phillips. So someone will be displaced.

I would wait and see. Can't see anyone stealing a player on our current list. Maybe Donnellan if we left her unsigned.
No you keep up to 20 of the players on your list. Randall and Gibson have moved and have jobs in Adelaide. Unlikely they will return.

No you keep up to 20 of the players on your list. Randall and Gibson have moved and have jobs in Adelaide. Unlikely they will return.

Players are allowed to move if they are offered a higher pay bracket. I.E. become a marquee player. If Randall or Gibson are relegated to run of the mill player, you think they couldn't be enticed home?

Or just offer Erin a marquee spot...

Good review. A lot of what you can cut depends on what is available. I expect list sizes to increase so the task will be tricky.

I would also have Cain on the chopping block. Develyn was a train on who was promoted due to injury. Not sure what the rules are on keeping those. She was very lucky to be promoted, there were better young players available. You also miss replacement Janz. I would keep her (if you can) as she gives effort in the ruck.

You only address playing form too. I think there are "attitude" issues that need to be sorted for long term stability.
Janz was value as a ruck. They will take a lot into consideration that isn't really evident from outside, but we can only judge on what we see. Phillips as an example, may have been well behind at the start, and never really caught up despite putting in the effort, or, she may have done the bare minimum the whole time. If its the first, she is worth persevering with, as she will start a lot further ahead next time, if its the latter, she will probably never have the fitness or attitude to make it, and time for her to go. She may also have been hampered by undisclosed injuries or niggles. Only Freo coaching staff will know.

For the trade, they have already mentioned free agency, where players dropping a pay bracket can be offered positions elsewhere. Of course, if they are dropped as marquees, does Freo want them, considering Donnelan was good, and Bowers should be good, once she recovers. Would take them over Gibson, who may drop down for instance.

As an somewhat unrelated aside.

I play in Vets footy in Bunbury. One of our clubman is assistant coach to our affiliated SWFL clubs brand new womens team (in the brand new womens league in the Southwest). They train out of the same clubrooms as us, and this evening we had a scratch match with them. Our squad divided in 2, theirs in 2, and 2 composite teams made to play each other, as practice for them. Never having played before as a team, they needed a run.

Firstly, they were very raw, the womens footy history in the southwest is very limited, so they were either young, with a little bit of experience, or older with none. Also small, even for a womens team.

Notable points, pretty clean with the hands, lots of overhead marks with relative ease. A few of them with the ability to run in traffic effectively, even against the men. Some pretty good kicks and handpasses, a few long passages of play with chains of handpasses and run with the women involved.

The best of the women players has dropped one of the guys like a sack of s**t. He has ran at me, stepped me and just run threw the outstretched arm, then 2 paces later, got hit at pace, arms wrapped, lifted of his feet and face planted into the ground. A tackle that had none of the `I was taking it easy because she was a women about it`, he got done cold.

There were quite a few issues to be expected, generally regarding positioning and running patterns. The girls playing forward tended to run to the goals, rather than up to the ball carrier (like soccer players looking for a through pass). A lot of them when they did lead up for the ball only went half, three quarter pace. Calling for the ball because they were in space, but they were 60m from the kicker.

Overall, for a new team in an area where junior girls footy only has existed for a few years, not bad, a few potential guns.

Perhaps the biggest sign of change is the relative lack of surprise or shock by the male vets players. One of the female players (the tackler), has had the ball, with one of our younger (30s) and better male players on the mark, and she just ran around him. Again, it wasn't a case of him not trying because it was a women, she just did him, and while guys had a laugh at it, no one was surprised, because she was genuinely quick and elusive.

There are a whole pile of new players coming, from all sorts of places in the womens game.

There was a points ranking given players by Drafter. Fairly telling reading for Freo. I have divided them up by points band.
80+ Donnellan, Hooker, Filocamo
70-80 Antonio
60-70 Nobody
50-60 Jansz, Houghton, O`Sullivan
40-50 Lavell, Smith, Miller, Bentley

The rest less than 40

Having 1 player in the 60 - 80 band is what killed the team, and all 3 in the 50-60 band are new to footy, so of the established players in the team, 4 got a rating of more than 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is what I think have moved from WA by club.

Noting there are 12 players including 6 Marquees from WA but I do not expect them to be traded to Freo. Expect clubs to rate their interstate players highly and re-sign them.

Adelaide Crows
Chelsea Randall is a 25 year old marquee player who is club co-captain. She was selected in the All Australian team and was runner up in B&F, doing some Adelaide media.

Kellie Gibson not in leadership group of 2 co-captains and 2 VC she was rated 19th in B&F could be affected by change of marquee to ambassadorial role. Phillips and Marinoff are burnt more brightly and overshadowed Gibson. She is only 20 year old and has huge upside and working full time for SANFL.

Brisbane Lions
Sabrina Frederick-Traub is a 20 year old marquee from WA. All Australian team and Runner up in B& F. Story I liked was just because I played for South Fremantle I support West Coast. She currently works at AFL Queensland as the Participation Programs Coordinator for Game Development.

Jessica Wuetschner is a 25 year old Tasmanian who spent the last three years playing for East Fremantle and was part of the Queensland Draft. Maybe Freo should make a play for her. However I expect all Lions to stay.

Greater Western Sydney Giants
Renee Forth is a 30 year old marquee player from WA who has spent the season injured in rehab and as development coach. She will help the midfield in 2018.

Emma Swanson is a 22 year old marquee player from WA. She wasn’t in the top 8 for B&F award. However works as a development officer for AFL.

Alex Williams is a 23 year old tall defender from WA who was a priority pick.

Aimee Schmidt is a 24 year old from WA who nominated and selected in the NSW Draft.

Collingwood
Emma King is a 22 year old marquee player from WA and selected in the All Australian team as Ruck.

Caitlyn Edwards is a 20 year old from WA and nominated and selected in the Melbourne Draft.

Tara Morgan is a 27 year old KPP from WA and nominated and selected in the Melbourne Draft.

Ruby Schleicher is a 19 year old Ruck/FWD from WA and nominated and selected in the Melbourne Draft.

On the bright side AFL Academy will have 15 graduates for this Draft 4 are Western Australians. There is probably your 3 Rookies if State based draft continues.

Noting there are 12 players including 6 Marquees from WA but I do not expect them to be traded to Freo. Expect clubs to rate their interstate players highly and re-sign them.

Adelaide Crows
Chelsea Randall is a 25 year old marquee player who is club co-captain. She was selected in the All Australian team and was runner up in B&F, doing some Adelaide media.

Kellie Gibson not in leadership group of 2 co-captains and 2 VC she was rated 19th in B&F could be affected by change of marquee to ambassadorial role. Phillips and Marinoff are burnt more brightly and overshadowed Gibson. She is only 20 year old and has huge upside and working full time for SANFL.

Brisbane Lions
Sabrina Frederick-Traub is a 20 year old marquee from WA. All Australian team and Runner up in B& F. Story I liked was just because I played for South Fremantle I support West Coast. She currently works at AFL Queensland as the Participation Programs Coordinator for Game Development.

Jessica Wuetschner is a 25 year old Tasmanian who spent the last three years playing for East Fremantle and was part of the Queensland Draft. Maybe Freo should make a play for her. However I expect all Lions to stay.

Renee Forth is a 30 year old marquee player from WA who has spent the season injured in rehab and as development coach. She will help the midfield in 2018.

Emma Swanson is a 22 year old marquee player from WA. She wasn’t in the top 8 for B&F award. However works as a development officer for AFL.

Aimee Schmidt is a 24 year old from WA who nominated and selected in the NSW Draft.

Collingwood
Emma King is a 22 year old marquee player from WA and selected in the All Australian team as Ruck.

Caitlyn Edwards is a 20 year old from WA and nominated and selected in the Melbourne Draft.

Tara Morgan is a 27 year old KPP from WA and nominated and selected in the Melbourne Draft.

Ruby Schleicher is a 19 year old Ruck/FWD from WA and nominated and selected in the Melbourne Draft.

On the bright side AFL Academy will have 15 graduates for this Draft 4 are Western Australians. There is probably your 3 Rookies if State based draft continues.
The rookies will be like an AFL rookie only elevated when someone injured. I had read that they had to be from outside the talent system too so the Academy girls wouldn't be able to be selected. But i can't find the source.

The girls are meant to be on holiday and not playing but three Freo girls played in the WAWFL on the weekend. Houghton, Phillips and Okely.

The rookies will be like an AFL rookie only elevated when someone injured. I had read that they had to be from outside the talent system too so the Academy girls wouldn't be able to be selected. But i can't find the source..

Your right sort of then they should be on the main list but would the Freo coach play young talent?
Cowan not Lyon
Rookies could be either young or outside talent scheme

Adelaide Crows

Brisbane Lions

Collingwood

Swanson finished outside top 8, but missed a few games, easily best 2 or 3 when fit. Expect her to be offered top tier again.

Emma King has signed with Eastern Devils in VFLW, so she stays.

Schleicher may be vulnerable for delisting, and is young enough and with enough upside to be worth getting.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Your right sort of then they should be on the main list but would the Freo coach play young talent?
Cowan not Lyon
Rookies could be either young or outside talent scheme
I had read that last bit as and not high performance not or! Makes a big diffetence. So its pretty much back to old days of the AFL rookie list.

Not sure the four would be automatic selections. Cowan didn't select last years U18 players except Devlyn as a replacement and there were better players in the team.

Highlights from Swans v East Freo

McGuire (31 Swans) kicks the first goal after an interchange with Houghton. Crashes the pack during the second Swans goal shown, kicked by Houghton. The first of last years youth girls Freo should get, aggressive, big, moves well, positions well and skilled. Would transform Freos forward line.

Last edited:
Just thinking that the 4 would have gone through the pathways and are more 'natural/instinctive' than older players. They should be elite to make the AFL Academy.

Can someone provide more info on the 4 WA girls in the AFL Academy eligible this draft

Kate Bartlett
Emily McGuire - Noted from highlights
Sonia Dorizzi
Tayla McAuliffe

Can someone provide more info on the 4 WA girls in the AFL Academy eligible this draft

Kate Bartlett
Emily McGuire - Noted from highlights
Sonia Dorizzi
Tayla McAuliffe
Kate Bartlett is your sneaky half forward/forward pocket type. A bit of a Sharp type. Maguire as seen combines a bit of size and aggressive attack on the ball with some skills. Don't really know the others.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Jatz,

What are your thoughts on the Ortlepp twins from Coastal Titans, Ash Hill from West Perth, and Peels Ebonee Hardie and Georgia Perry?

I know none are key position size but most played state juniors, and i think have something to offer.

Jatz,

What are your thoughts on the Ortlepp twins from Coastal Titans, Ash Hill from West Perth, and Peels Ebonee Hardie and Georgia Perry?

I know none are key position size but most played state juniors, and i think have something to offer.
Thats tough. If the women do not play in games that get broadcast, its hard to know them. I went and looked at some of the replay of the 2016 WAWFL grand final. Ash Hill looked a bit like a few of the players the Dockers already have (and who struggled). Lightly framed, got bounced about a bit when on the inside, maybe not clean enough with the ball on the outside, at least not enough to displace players in the Dockers currently. Decent depth on her kicking though.
If she plays midfield, and is looking to get into the Dockers, she is competing for a spot with Bowers, Donnelan, Green, Filocamo, Hooker, Cain, Haynes, Angel, Okely, O`Sullivan. Not sure who she replaces from that list.
Did also watch a bit of the replay of the West Perth Coastal game from this weekend. The standard of play was higher, and West Perth played better football than in the 2016 GF, but they still got easily beaten by a Coastal missing bunch of their best players.
It was interesting that Tarnica Golisano played that game, and does she look different from last year, noticeably heavier and more powerful. I think some of the Dockers will tear the comp up when they come back.

I know the Ortlepp twins a bit, do not know Hardie or Perry, will keep an eye out for them.
Edit wawfl reserves grand final that is, Falcons not having a team in the top division last year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back