Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

when did snowflake come into popular vernacular? suddenly everywhere in the last month

I actually think the ones complaining about women's footy so much are closer to the precious ones

I enjoyed the grand final today as a contest and a spectacle - Money gets pumped into NRL too, but I don't like or nor am I interested in it so I am able to ignore and avoid it pretty easily

maybe I should go to a rugby board and tell them how much I dislike it, hey?

His reply is always the AFL house line on every subject, nothing to address.
If his replies happen to resemble the policy of AFL House, that proves nothing. Have you considered that the AFL might actually be right for once?

Correlation is not causation.

Address the points or you've proven to everyone that you've simply got an axe to grind.

Women could NEVER play against men -AFL or Manangatang 3rds.
Due to the significant strength differentials, women would generally be seriously hurt after c. 5 big tackles or bumps.

In c.10 years, we will see many women (who have played AF from the age of 5 y.o.) who have skill levels similar to AFL players.
IMO, D.Pearce, who kicks superbly L & R feet, is almost there (probably overhead contested marking is inadequate).

IMO this is the sign to me that the AFLW has been a success (on a personal level)

Our mens team has won 7 games in the past two seasons all up, lucky to avoid the wooden spoon two years running, have not been inside the 8 since Round 4 2012 and have not won a Round 1 game since 2012, yet I am not buzzing at the slightest about our men's team being 1 win and 0 losses because our womens team lost the Grand Final and I am still gutted over that.

Also worth noting as someone who went to both games that a LOT more Lions fans attended the AFLW GF rather than the Round 1 game (although Queenslanders are notorious bandwagoners). Also think 12k at the Q clash was a bit of a porky, there was definitely a significantly bigger crowd at the AFLW GF

IMO this is the sign to me that the AFLW has been a success (on a personal level)

Our mens team has won 7 games in the past two seasons all up, lucky to avoid the wooden spoon two years running, have not been inside the 8 since Round 4 2012 and have not won a Round 1 game since 2012, yet I am not buzzing at the slightest about our men's team being 1 win and 0 losses because our womens team lost the Grand Final and I am still gutted over that.

Also worth noting as someone who went to both games that a LOT more Lions fans attended the AFLW GF rather than the Round 1 game (although Queenslanders are notorious bandwagoners). Also think 12k at the Q clash was a bit of a porky, there was definitely a significantly bigger crowd at the AFLW GF

I knew I was invested after the Adelaide v Brisbane Lions at Norwood the other week and I got into my sulk that happens when the men lose

Also on GF day at the pub some of my friends mentioned something to the effect of 'Ok Jake's on board, he's swearing at the TV like he always does...'

:D

AFLW for Brisbane and GWS is the best marketing for those clubs in their respective states you could get .......bring women to AFL, get girls involved in AFL ....and there's your POD to grab a share of the sports market and build a substantial supporter base.

Great first season. I have really enjoyed it. Congratulations to everyone involved. We're onto a winner.

Probably as good a time as ever to revisit this sardonic classic from Titus O'Reily:

https://titusoreily.com/afl/afl-women’s-history-how-we-got-here
I don't get emotional over the mens game .....but i have tissues at the ready, seeing the pure excitement on the players faces and the girls in the crowd

What this will do for participation levels in womens sport, is immeasurable ......i am just so proud to have witnessed the first season

I get just as nervous, excited and proud as a Crows supporter for the AFLW as in do for the men

Brianna Davey ......just WOW, what an athlete and high mark

Tayla Harris .....some of the best marks i've seen at any level
7tharris.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLW for Brisbane and GWS is the best marketing for those clubs in their respective states you could get .......bring women to AFL, get girls involved in AFL ....and there's your POD to grab a share of the sports market and build a substantial supporter base.
Yeah was thinking us and GWS would probably be the only teams (GC as well if/when they get an AFLW licence) that would bring much more fans to the AFLW GF over a regular season Rd 1 mens game.

Once our girls (eventually) win a flag (hopefully next season), I wouldn't mind a GC womens team, Southport Sharks would be a great ground to watch footy and easy to get to.

Yeah was thinking us and GWS would probably be the only teams (GC as well if/when they get an AFLW licence) that would bring much more fans to the AFLW GF over a regular season Rd 1 mens game.

Once our girls (eventually) win a flag (hopefully next season), I wouldn't mind a GC womens team, Southport Sharks would be a great ground to watch footy and easy to get to.
There was a strategic reason GWS and Brisbane were given AFLW licenses .....and that IMHO was the marketing benefit to the Eastern States Qld, and NSW

There was a strategic reason GWS and Brisbane were given AFLW licenses .....and that IMHO was the marketing benefit to the Eastern States Qld, and NSW
GWS and us were the only "Northern" teams to bid for a licence.

Worth noting Swans already have a high percentage of female fans so I think the AFL would have given GWS the AFLW licence for NSW regardless (to grow their female supporter base). Apparently GC wanted in but didn't bid because they knew we were always going to get the Qld licence.

Is it really true Daisy Pearce complained about the women not receiving salaries anywhere near as high as the men?

Is the woman even aware she's riding the coat tails of a professional competition as a result of political bullying/feminist putsch that's been going on the last few years. Obviously not as she actually expects a cut of the AFL's revenue. AFL-W can at least fund itself and be grateful the AFL has set them up with such a platform they would've never received if not for political correctness combined with the AFL.
No, it isn't true.

No players have expressed a negative opinion on pay that I am aware of. They have expressed opinions on hoping the pay grows over time.

Various feminists/ journalist/bloggers and tweeters have expressed negative opinions on the pay.

Most opinions on pay however are from the 'its all PC bullshit brigade' that have expressed disgust that the female players are complaining about their pay despite the comp earning nothing, blithely ignoring both that they are not complaining, and the comp earned quite a bit.

I suspect your 'source' falls into this category.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

No, it isn't true.

No players have expressed a negative opinion on pay that I am aware of. They have expressed opinions on hoping the pay grows over time.

Various feminists/ journalist/bloggers and tweeters have expressed negative opinions on the pay.

Most opinions on pay however are from the 'its all PC bullshit brigade' that have expressed disgust that the female players are complaining about their pay despite the comp earning nothing, blithely ignoring both that they are not complaining, and the comp earned quite a bit.

I suspect your 'source' falls into this category.

True, many footballers were asked that question, and I don't recall a single one complaining, fully accepting where they were at and what they were building.

As for revenue, I get the impression that the sponsorship revenue ended up adding up to a fair bit across both the league and clubs, I'd love to know a final figure because I reckon the whole comp would have come close to breaking even (ignoring the various establishment costs the AFL covered up front).

Women could NEVER play against men -AFL or Manangatang 3rds.
Due to the significant strength differentials, women would generally be seriously hurt after c. 5 big tackles or bumps.

In c.10 years, we will see many women (who have played AF from the age of 5 y.o.) who have skill levels similar to AFL players.
IMO, D.Pearce, who kicks superbly L & R feet, is almost there (probably overhead contested marking is inadequate).
D Pearce is a fantastic overhead contested mark, provided she isn't competing against men a foot taller.

Which goes to the silliness of the article. Footballing ability would be swamped by biological differences.

Harris v Randall was a fascinating Arial contest, Harris v any male defender in the league wouldn't be, even if Harris was better in terms of attack on the ball, timing, courage. None of it would matter in the face of biology.

True, many footballers were asked that question, and I don't recall a single one complaining, fully accepting where they were at and what they were building.

As for revenue, I get the impression that the sponsorship revenue ended up adding up to a fair bit across both the league and clubs, I'd love to know a final figure because I reckon the whole comp would have come close to breaking even (ignoring the various establishment costs the AFL covered up front).
Yes, it wasn't clear whether they were so used to getting nothing, that anything looked good in comparison, or that they had adopted an unwritten policy of not rocking the boat.

Possibly a bit of both.

Yes, it wasn't clear whether they were so used to getting nothing, that anything looked good in comparison, or that they had adopted an unwritten policy of not rocking the boat.

Possibly a bit of both.

Most of the ones I've heard answering the question have appeared genuine.

I can recall Nicola Barr (first pick for GWS), saying matter-of-factly that as a uni student, she thought thought what she was getting was fantastic.

Others have had to make quite big sacrifices to play, but they gave the very clear impression they would do it no matter what.

Of course, that's very much a first year thing - I don't really expect that sort of attitude to last by the start of the 3rd season. In fact, as early as next season, those who have taken extended leave to play this year might have a serious decision to make.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wom...w/news-story/ffcd3e077c39de47806133abd6d08d7e

Geez the reporting on the AFLW is getting out of hand. Why does it always have to be the women v men when writing about it? Why does it have to be that woman do it better than men (when most of the time is not as good or better - its just some womans opinion to stir up a reaction)? And the dribble that is written in this article is complete garbage.

Its embarrassing to read and just makes it hard to take the reporting of AFLW seriously. Add this article to the article about how a woman might one day play AFL and it may be in the next couple of years and it makes for a good laugh.

Something that struck me was the high proportion of GAY/Lesbian players in the league who are quite open about their sexuality
I wonder if this will eventually impact on young girls wanting to play?

Something that struck me was the high proportion of GAY/Lesbian players in the league who are quite open about their sexuality
I wonder if this will eventually impact on young girls wanting to play?
As in they won't want to play for fear of being labelled lesbians? I'm pretty sure that already happens anyway, to be honest. And on the plus side, it's great to have a platform where we're publicly celebrating achievements women who happen to be same-sex attracted.

However, it hasn't had an effect on hockey so far.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wom...w/news-story/ffcd3e077c39de47806133abd6d08d7e

Geez the reporting on the AFLW is getting out of hand. Why does it always have to be the women v men when writing about it? Why does it have to be that woman do it better than men (when most of the time is not as good or better - its just some womans opinion to stir up a reaction)? And the dribble that is written in this article is complete garbage.

Its embarrassing to read and just makes it hard to take the reporting of AFLW seriously. Add this article to the article about how a woman might one day play AFL and it may be in the next couple of years and it makes for a good laugh.

What a ridiculous article indeed. Going on about how women are second class citizens because the focus at the Brownlow is the football players (men)? What else is it supposed to be about? Its bad enough we have a red carpet show on before hand, but what else does this woman want at a night that is about male footballers performances? Stupid article that doesnt dispell the feeling that some womens feeling of entitlement these days knows know bounds. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back