General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I use it over winter, probably a couple of times a week. Really love it, I ended up getting a Tacx Vortex from the UK for about $450 and it works a treat. Handy for brick sessions too, just jump off in the garage, chuck on running shoes and out on the road, closing the garage door behind you!

Cheers
Might give it a go

Got my first puncture since 2012 yesterday and the first time i didnt have a bloody repair kit or spare tube on me

Cheers
Might give it a go

Got my first puncture since 2012 yesterday and the first time i didnt have a bloody repair kit or spare tube on me
back riding Kew blvd?

I always like Kew blvd, some good dogging places skilts advised me on.

Never trust those peeps from Deepdene and Balwyn, they go to MTC subscriber nights and dip their toes in the scatology like any English public schoolboy and Oxbridge footlight.

so silts tells me anyway

Fantastic day in Geelong yesterday for the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race.

Joined the crowds at the top of the Challambra/Westbury climb (which I had ridden up the day before, complete with the 20% steep at the top) where the atmosphere was electric. Cow bells ringing, loads of cheering, then a chance to watch the finish on the big screen set up where we were. Thought Cam Meyer had stolen it only to be pipped on the line by German, Nikias Arndt.

Brilliant, well organised event all up.....

Last edited:

Epic Tour of Flanders last night.

Thought Gilbert was a thoroughly deserving winner, after he put in a 55km long solo attack. Glad he got to the finish line with time enough to stop, get off the bike, and carry it across the line. A great moment, befitting a great performance.

The crash which took out Sagan, Van Avermaet and Naesen was disappointing, and ruined what could have been a very exciting finish to the race. That said, I have very little sympathy for the riders. They chose to ride as close as possible to the barriers, trying to use the narrow layer of dirt between the barriers and the cobblestones (that they were supposed to be riding on). The margin for error is much lower when you're riding close to the barriers, and on this occasion the risks came back to bite them.

Footage showed a jacket wrapped around Naesen's bike, but I do not believe this was what caused the crash. Naesen was 3rd in the line, and Sagan was the first rider to go down. It's possible that Sagan's handlebars caught on a loose advertising banner, resulting in all 3 riders going down. Whatever the case, they wouldn't have crashed if they'd been riding on the cobblestones as intended.

I can't help but wonder whether or not they would have been able to catch Gilbert. GVA, van Baarle, and Terpstra got within 30 seconds of him, with about 5km to go. Who knows what could have happened if GVA hadn't lost time in the crash, and had a strong rider (Sagan) to work with in the closing stages. Sagan thinks they would have caught him. I'm not sure either way.

Boonen was probably never going to win the race, but he deserved better than being taken out by a technical problem at the bottom of a climb. At least he finished the race, though not in the way he hoped.

Been a while since Gilbert has been in this form. Did bugger all at BMC and is reunited with dodgy doctor and hey presto. Its probably just the Spesh bike. Looking at some photos I reckon Sagan had a pedal strike with the embankment of dirt he was riding so close to. Glad the Muur was back but it kinda felt more for cameras rather than the race due to the placement of it.

Epic Tour of Flanders last night.

Thought Gilbert was a thoroughly deserving winner, after he put in a 55km long solo attack. Glad he got to the finish line with time enough to stop, get off the bike, and carry it across the line. A great moment, befitting a great performance.

The crash which took out Sagan, Van Avermaet and Naesen was disappointing, and ruined what could have been a very exciting finish to the race. That said, I have very little sympathy for the riders. They chose to ride as close as possible to the barriers, trying to use the narrow layer of dirt between the barriers and the cobblestones (that they were supposed to be riding on). The margin for error is much lower when you're riding close to the barriers, and on this occasion the risks came back to bite them.

Footage showed a jacket wrapped around Naesen's bike, but I do not believe this was what caused the crash. Naesen was 3rd in the line, and Sagan was the first rider to go down. It's possible that Sagan's handlebars caught on a loose advertising banner, resulting in all 3 riders going down. Whatever the case, they wouldn't have crashed if they'd been riding on the cobblestones as intended.

I can't help but wonder whether or not they would have been able to catch Gilbert. GVA, van Baarle, and Terpstra got within 30 seconds of him, with about 5km to go. Who knows what could have happened if GVA hadn't lost time in the crash, and had a strong rider (Sagan) to work with in the closing stages. Sagan thinks they would have caught him. I'm not sure either way.

Boonen was probably never going to win the race, but he deserved better than being taken out by a technical problem at the bottom of a climb. At least he finished the race, though not in the way he hoped.
sagan rode into the gutter and the barrier legs all by himself. keeno has the link on his twitter page.

no one in the chase had the legs. even if greg van avermaet and sagan worked together, i think that gilbert holds them off, but gilbert would have had to launch a sprint at 200 metres as GvA and Sagan jumped at 300 metres at the same time, and, there only be a second or two in the finale. but not a photo finish.

but was an epic ride by gilbert.

Sagan is blaming a jacket that was hanging over the barriers, though he does accept responsibility for the risks associated with riding on the dirt strip close to the barrier, rather than on the cobblestones (where he was supposed to be). Could be pedal strike on the dirt embankment, could be the barrier legs, we'll never know.

What is undeniable is that he shouldn't have been riding there in the first place, so the blame is entirely his.

Sagan is blaming a jacket that was hanging over the barriers, though he does accept responsibility for the risks associated with riding on the dirt strip close to the barrier, rather than on the cobblestones (where he was supposed to be). Could be pedal strike on the dirt embankment, could be the barrier legs, we'll never know.

Nah, not much happens anymore without being caught on camera, was definitely a jacket as the video shows.

https://cyclingtips.com/news/no-maj...ders-crash-video-clarifies-how-fall-happened/

Agree the decision to ride there contributed to the crash, but am impressed with the style and technique how the guys are taught to do it with - I know if it were me I'd have my arms out all over the show asking for a broken collarbone..

CORVOS_00027808-123-1024x746.jpg

Anyhow, Greg van Avermaet takes out another win at the Paris-Roubaix last night, what a late career renaissance he has enjoyed past year or two!

Anyhow, Greg van Avermaet takes out another win at the Paris-Roubaix last night, what a late career renaissance he has enjoyed past year or two!
He's transformed himself from being the "nearly man" of a few years ago, into one of the most dominant one-day racer of the current generation. I suspect he always had it, he just didn't have the confidence in himself - until he beat Sagan in that Tour de France stage a couple of years back.

His win last night was thoroughly deserved. He was clearly the strongest rider in the final stages, despite having crashed earlier and having had to work his way back from being 50 seconds down 10km before the Arenburg forrest.

It might just be the change to the BMC kit for this year, but I reckon GVA looks a bit slimmer from previous years. Epic race last night, the attacks starting with over 100k's to go was thoroughly entertaining and probably Boonen and to a lesser extent Sagan who had some bad luck, downfall because they just rode themselves into the ground through the sectors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.. I did watch the Amstel Gold. Gilbert is obviously back on the good juice, now that he's left BMC.

BMC are either clean :eek: or they don't have access to the same juice that teams like UK Postal, Quickstep, and Astana are all using.

Still, it was an exciting race. For a while there was some doubt over whether GVA could catch the Kwiatkowski/Gilbert group... but that soon disappeared. In the end it was a 2-horse race, with Gilbert the stronger of the two. Much more interesting than last year's race, so the organisers were probably justified in eliminating the Cauberg from the final loop.

One of my favourite riders.
Have been watching the trentino, and to hear this news is shattering.
RIP Michele.

Can anyone here give a bit of insight into Nick Shultz? Looks to be an exciting prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a bunch of ripping classics this year - Flanders, Roubaix, Amstel Gold.... LBL turned out to be one really big borefest.

This race could not have been more formulaic if Movistar had scripted it. Breakaway.. caught once the big climbs begin towards the end of the race. Large peleton gets to the end, Valverde jumps the pack on the (unofficial) climb to the finish line.

Gerrans tried to animate the race at one point, but he only had one rider for support - and that was never going to work so far from home. Nathan Haas tried as well, with a bit more support, but his break never looked like succeeding either.

Martin & Kwiatkowski must have agreed to settle for the minor podium positions before the race even began, given that neither they nor their teams did anything whatsoever to upset the Movistar/Valverde victory procession.

After a bunch of ripping classics this year - Flanders, Roubaix, Amstel Gold.... LBL turned out to be one really big borefest.

This race could not have been more formulaic if Movistar had scripted it. Breakaway.. caught once the big climbs begin towards the end of the race. Large peleton gets to the end, Valverde jumps the pack on the (unofficial) climb to the finish line.

Gerrans tried to animate the race at one point, but he only had one rider for support - and that was never going to work so far from home. Nathan Haas tried as well, with a bit more support, but his break never looked like succeeding either.

Martin & Kwiatkowski must have agreed to settle for the minor podium positions before the race even began, given that neither they nor their teams did anything whatsoever to upset the Movistar/Valverde victory procession.

Just keeps on getting results does Valverde.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerrans is fast enough when fit and in form, to take Valverde, cos everyone lost weight wishing to sompete with Froome and Wiggins on GC being 140lbs, so even Valverde lost weight, terminal velocity hurt.

Gerro did not do that.

I noticed this off season, he looked about 3lbs leaner too, which in my mind, would be a bad move.

it is john nash the Princeton mathematician #game_theory, you need to triangulate your strengths, versus the others strenghts as them as individuals, individual riders, in the peloton.

but gerro aint in form, too many breaks and bone falls

albasini and daryl impey are my favourite riders, and Jayco Gerry got himself an absolute bargain with those two domestique guns. I hope albo wins a stage in the Tdf this year. he deserves it

the weight loss was a combo of lipotropin, AICAR and GW.

lipotropin is Dank's AOD

Nah, not much happens anymore without being caught on camera, was definitely a jacket as the video shows.

https://cyclingtips.com/news/no-maj...ders-crash-video-clarifies-how-fall-happened/

Agree the decision to ride there contributed to the crash, but am impressed with the style and technique how the guys are taught to do it with - I know if it were me I'd have my arms out all over the show asking for a broken collarbone..

CORVOS_00027808-123-1024x746.jpg

sagan has such skills he could almost keep it up even falling over and scraping his elbow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back