Mega Thread 2017 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does pick Freo to finish 12th though. Hackdorn can't change, he's locked into the WC bubble.
My gut feel was 11th or 12th and my ladder predictor had us at 12th. If last night showed us anything, it's that young talented teams will continue to struggle to hold back a bigger, stronger, more experienced side (ala Freo 2006). We might have a more talented list atm across the ground, but we're going to get pushed around for a year or two while some of the bodies mature.

My gut feel was 11th or 12th and my ladder predictor had us at 12th. If last night showed us anything, it's that young talented teams will continue to struggle to hold back a bigger, stronger, more experienced side (ala Freo 2006). We might have a more talented list atm across the ground, but we're going to get pushed around for a year or two while some of the bodies mature.

We have plenty of experienced and mature bodies in the team. The only younger guy I can think of that is susceptible to being pushed around is Weller.

We have plenty of experienced and mature bodies in the team. The only younger guy I can think of that is susceptible to being pushed around is Weller.
good call. My comment was based on my wildly incorrect assumption that we were in a rebuild where we would play our young players similar to how we have lined up our theoretical best 22s in these threads over the pre-season so the young blokes could build up some experience while the pressure is off with low expectations on coach and players. Now that I have been brought back to reality with RTB's team selection of pretty close to the oldest team he could put on the park, we will possibly grind out a few extra wins with a bit of bash and crash and headbutting and maybe push up to 9th or 10th.

Interesting (don't read controversial) with the captain's votes for potential Brownlow in 2017:

"Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong, five votes), Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs, two votes), Dan Hannebery (Sydney, two votes), Dustin Martin (Richmond, two votes), Lance Franklin (Sydney, one vote), Max Gawn (Melbourne, one vote), Luke Shuey (West Coast, one vote), Rory Sloane (Adelaide, one vote), Adam Treloar (Collingwood, one vote), Callan Ward (GWS, one vote), Jobe Watson (Essendon, one vote)"

Not even 1 vote for Fyfe. He's coming back from injury so that's understandable but still has had a solid pre-season, destroyed the competition and stood out in the pre-season while seemingly in second gear, and has won it before so obviously in the umps field of view. So, a bit surprising for me when players like Ward and Watson are even attracting votes as predicted winners. Not fussed either way since we'll know the answer come the end of the year, but just a bit surprised, that's all.

It's probably got more to do with where we are expected to finish. Players from sides who win 4 games don't win many brownlows.

Hasleby nails the problem - defence.

“There were a lot of errors coming out of defensive areas,” Hasleby said.
“They’ve got a lot of defenders that are quite dour.
“They don’t have that player or two players that have the ability to use the ball quickly by foot and when I talk about quickly, I mean by the speed with which they make the decision, but also the speed the ball travels.
“Michael Johnson has been elite in that area across his career, but with age he’s lost a bit of confidence and ability to pull the trigger with speed.
“The other thing they lack is the ability of those players to change direction quickly. They don’t have that speedy defender that can really break the game open by running and carrying through the corridor.
“I’ve got some concerns over the forward line, but that’s not helped by the way they’re moving the ball, which is allowing opposition teams time to get back and set up.
“If they can play a riskier, high-reward type of game from the back half, it’ll bring their midfielders into it a bit more and give those forwards an opportunity.”

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...s/news-story/cdb9b934231118e0e55d6516d3cd2d45

“They don’t have that player or two players that have the ability to use the ball quickly by foot and when I talk about quickly, I mean by the speed with which they make the decision, but also the speed the ball travels.
“Michael Johnson has been elite in that area across his career, but with age he’s lost a bit of confidence and ability to pull the trigger with speed.
“The other thing they lack is the ability of those players to change direction quickly. They don’t have that speedy defender that can really break the game open by running and carrying through the corridor.
“I’ve got some concerns over the forward line, but that’s not helped by the way they’re moving the ball, which is allowing opposition teams time to get back and set up.
“If they can play a riskier, high-reward type of game from the back half, it’ll bring their midfielders into it a bit more and give those forwards an opportunity.”

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...s/news-story/cdb9b934231118e0e55d6516d3cd2d45

Luke Ryan and Logue will help.

I agree with a lot of this but it glosses over Weller who did pretty well in his 3rd game in that role

I agree with a lot of this but it glosses over Weller who did pretty well in his 3rd game in that role
Him and Tucker shanked a few but kids with their amount of talent are a rare commodity on our list and should be given the leeway to learn from their mistakes while picking up the speed of AFL footy. Those i'm not as comfortable accepting it from are the 26y/o & over stalwarts that still make the same mistakes they've done over the journey.

Him and Tucker shanked a few but kids with their amount of talent are a rare commodity on our list and should be given the leeway to learn from their mistakes while picking up the speed of AFL footy. Those i'm not as comfortable accepting it from are the 26y/o & over stalwarts that still make the same mistakes they've done over the journey.
Wouldn't mind seeing tucker's heat map, he didn't seem to play much back (in his 53% game time) but he strikes me as someone who could be one of our better rebounders

Getting cheap touches on the wing and shanking it most of the time isn't decent. He still not capable of winning his own ball and defending. I'm happy to stick with him at half back but my head tells me he's more suited at half forward.

Getting cheap touches on the wing and shanking it most of the time isn't decent. He still not capable of winning his own ball and defending. I'm happy to stick with him at half back but my head tells me he's more suited at half forward.

Agree, he was very disappointing for mine. But we need his pace, evasion and skill in the backline as Haselby points out. Hopefully his skills will improve as the season progresses as he's got a lot of natural skill.

Notice that crumpet has been pretty spot on with his info on Freo lately and including having the scoop (correct to) on Bennell. His reviewing of Femantle has also been far more measured and less hysterical.

I reckon the clubs media have finally "ended the war" or come to some agreement that he gets information first so long as he stops talking absolute rubbish about the club.

Just an observation and I am a little bit disturbed about having to now pay attention when he is talking but will continue to see if this is a real trend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's just calculating the odds of being a permanent irrelevance and accessing the other news feeds to work around the fact the club has chopped him off imho.

Now the media have gone and told everyone what our ins and outs should be. He's obdurate ross. lols at hazelby's use of the word dour.

Footy Classified (3rd April) Nine Network.

The Playlist list is a problem.
Look how many little games they've gotten out of the players they've drafted.

Freo's list issues (1st and 2nd round draft picks from 2010 to 2015):

2015:
Pick 27, Harley Balic, 0 Games.

2014:
Pick 18, Connor Blakely, 18 Games.

2013:
Pick 17, Michael Apeness, 7 Games.
Pick 37, Alex Pearce, 21 Games.

2012:
Pick 17, Josh Simpson*, 2 Games
Pick 36, Tanner Smith*, 4 Games
Pick 39, Max Duffy*, 3 Games

2011:
Pick 16, Tom Sheridan, 59 Games
Pick 20, Hayden Crozier, 50 Games

2010:
Pick 20, Jayden Pitt*, 10 Games
Pick 44, Viv Michie*, 1 Game

* denotes delisted or retired.

Past free agents received include:
Colin Sylvia and Gumble...

Left at the end of 2016:
Barlow, DeBoer, Mzungu, Clancee Pearce, Mayne, Silvangi, Pavlich.
Ballantyne 'would have gone if a trade had happened.'

Matthew Lloyd (Quotes)
'But I now hope that Ross Lyon from round 3 on, with Zac Dawson who he's very supportive of, Johnson, Suban and all those guys (that Craig Hutchinson spoke of) who are still there, actually get an opportunity to see if they are any good.'

'I think Tucker will be a 200 game player,
Balic will debut this week.'

Craig Hutchinson to M Lloyd:
'Is it an acceptable list right now?'
'Is it the worst situation they have ever been in?'

M Lloyd's reply:
'Ohh.
I disagree with Paul Hasleby's view that (Damian Drum's era and his was better than the current team.)'

'They are on the bottom of the ladder for a reason Hutchy and they have got so much work to do. Whether it's the list, whethet it's Ross Lyon's coaching.'

'But I still think with the two Hills...'
(Interrupted).

Hutchy: 'Which is the worst of the list and the coaching?'

Lloyd: 'I think it's a combination of the two. ' I think it's obviously when you finish 6-2-6-3, they thought they were closer, they've fallen off the cliff and now it's about starting all over again.'

Caroline Wilson: 'And they haven't been developing those younger players.'

Lloyd: 'Because they haven't played, now they're at rock bottom. These guys have got no games. These guys should all play: Crozier for the rest of the year, Sheridan. Balic should just keep playing. Weller, Blakely.Sam Collins, get him in and try and play him.'

Hutchy: 'Collins and Pearce are going to be ok.'

Lloyd: 'Alex Pearce they hope will be a 10 year Centre Half Forward.'

Garry Lyon: 'Are they at the point now where they do exactly that? Zac Dawson is not a part, let's move that out. And if so, what do they do with Fyfe? Is this a situation where they go: 'This is an absolute rebuild.' Do they have a discussion with Fyfe and find out when we can use him as a catapult impetus to continue to cut.'

Caroline Wilson: 'How old is Fyfe?'
Others: '25, 26.'

Wilson: A great champion, and great fabric of the club and they've just made him captain. You guys are always so bull at the gate about this rebuilding.'

Hutchinson: 'They had 6 players over 30 in that team on the weekend.'

Caroline Wilson: 'Nat Fyfe isn't over 30. He is one of the 2 or 3 best players in the competition.'

Lloyd: 'If Fyfe wants to hold out and is unsure, I can understand where he's coming from. Far as I'm aware, he wants to stay.'

Wilson: 'He's only lingering because he wants to get the best deal.'

Hutchinson: 'Some of their issues go back beyond Brad Lloyd.'

Last edited:
I don't remember the media carrying on this much when the Eagles were beaten at home by Geelong a few years back by 118 points. They only mentioned the bit about Bomber Thompson eating a sandwich whilst watching the game, as he didn't need to do any coaching at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back