Opinion Bigger Bodies Required (and brute strength)

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Booty

Senior List
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dear Mods, I don't know if this warrants a new thread. If not, please feel free to move ...

Hi all, like to share my view:
Have been watching some of the Port games, players like Powell-Pepper and Wines really stood out. Big and strong, they make the ball theirs. Team mates around them stand taller.
Clayton Oliver for Melbourne
Dustin Martin for Richmond
Dangerfield for Geelong
Patrick Cripps for Carlton is another
The list goes on ...
An enforcer in the middle

I feel we are missing a bull in the centre. We used to have Lewis (but admittedly was losing his effectiveness towards the end) there and now the closest is probably Mitchell. But I feel he is not big enough.
Whilst I understand that footy requires a lot of running/cardio capacity, I think we need to recruit/develop someone with a bigger body/brute strength in the middle. Our recent recruits don't strike me to be particularly built/can bring that sort of brute

Poppy is probably the only one with that sort of strength. Are we too focused on skills/running and not enough on strength/muscles?

Also btw like to point out Preuss for North, whilst a ruckman, is another that strikes me to bring that sort of brute force. Like the way he goes about his footy. Body-wise, he is really a specimen.

Lewis averaged 6 contested possessions a game last year.

Jom and Tom have solved our inside contested issue, the problem is we have no confidence to take the game on, our forward structure isn't working and we suck in the air in all areas unless Cyril or poppy take a screamer.

Plus we have Martin and Rockliff next year dont we ?

I think our biggest problem right now is run off half back and outside run in general rather than inside midfield grunt.
Agree
When we get the ball at half back it's almost a case of let's catch a breather. We don't exhaust the opposition trying chase us

For a club that used to have a massive array of HBFs we're pretty light on now.

Agree it looks that way, but I do think Burton looks very natural back there.
I don't see a natural postion for Howe anywhere else on the field than down back, so he's a chance also....
I've put out a few times now that a Kade Kolodjashnij type would go a long way to getting us some nice left foot run and passing out of the back.
May be we place a premium on it at this years draft and get a young kid in the 2nd round or so who can solve the issue, fingers crossed. :drunk:

Agree it looks that way, but I do think Burton looks very natural back there.
I don't see a natural postion for Howe anywhere else on the field than down back, so he's a chance also....
I've put out a few times now that a Kade Kolodjashnij type would go a long way to getting us some nice left foot run and passing out of the back.
May be we place a premium on it at this years draft and get a young kid in the 2nd round or so who can solve the issue, fingers crossed. :drunk:

I suspect Burton will end up playing his best footy leading up on the forward flank but for our needs at the moment and his development it is working out well to have him down back.

I still don't understand what the club has in mind for Howe, could he be a wingman long term or is he not quick enough to play outside all day?

Catch him outside, Howe bow dah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long time reader, first time poster. I really love the way Ryan Schoenmakers goes about it and is a much needed big muscly body, has an amazing physique! Hoping 2017 is his breakout year.

O'Meara? Pretty decent specimen I'd say, once he gets full confidence back in his body

Not enough mongrel in him.... his a Rolls Royce
Wines, Oliver, Powell-pepper, Viney, Shiel.. even going back Sewell, Lewis... those guys are Hummers

Are you suggesting we take drugs like Geelong did in 07 to win another Premiership?

I guess Dank is free these days, might cost to get Robinson out of his KPMG contract though.

I think our biggest problem right now is run off half back and outside run in general rather than inside midfield grunt.
Yes.

A player who breaks the lines, finds space, creates space for others and who can still be providing run late in quarters...that's what we are missing.

We miss you Bradley.

I'm just talking about his physique, I know some on here are critical of his disposal but he is a big muscly body that could inject some much needed physicality into our game.

On a serious note, while he's a fit boy he isn't really particularly big bodied compared to other big forwards. He's about the same height as Josh Kennedy from West Coast but weighs about 10kg less. Prime form Roughie probably outweighs him by about the same amount too for a similar height.

On a serious note, while he's a fit boy he isn't really particularly big bodied compared to other big forwards. He's about the same height as Josh Kennedy from West Coast but weighs about 10kg less. Prime form Roughie probably outweighs him by about the same amount too for a similar height.
Yeah but he was heaver at 18 than Gunston was last year, I know the club stripped a bit off him over the offseason I'd be interested to know the actual heigh and weight of Jack and Ryan now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back