Stats observations

Remove this Banner Ad

The furthest behind a player has been who has ended up winning the Coleman Medal is 32 by Tony Lockett in 1991...
I have by no means gone through every season, so there may be other significant deficits other goal kickers have overcome.

21 Brian Taylor/Warwick Capper 1986 R8
17 Harry Vallence/Doug Strang 1931 R4
17 John Coleman/Jack O'Rourke 1951 R6

Melbourne & Essendon have won both matches with a combined margin of 52 points. They are 4th & 6th with West Coast (+62) splitting them. Obligatory obscure follow-up: when has this happened before? Same win-loss and points difference, but not contiguous on the ladder.
Also, St Kilda & Hawthorn have lost both matches with a combined margin of 49 points. They are 13th & 14th.

Has happened 11 times previously (and another four in bye seasons where points or match ratio were equal but the number of games played differed).

After Round 1 1993 and again in 1996, two pairs of teams were separated by three ladder positions despite recording wins/losses by the same margins.

1993 Hawthorn 2nd, North Melbourne 5th/Brisbane 10th, Melbourne 13th
1996 West Coast 4th, Carlton 7th/Collingwood 10th, Fremantle 13th

The latest it has occurred was after Round 7 1994, with Carlton 6th & Geelong 8th after both teams had one bye to that stage.

Has happened 11 times previously (and another four in bye seasons where points or match ratio were equal but the number of games played differed).

After Round 1 1993 and again in 1996, two pairs of teams were separated by three ladder positions despite recording wins/losses by the same margins.

1993 Hawthorn 2nd, North Melbourne 5th/Brisbane 10th, Melbourne 13th
1996 West Coast 4th, Carlton 7th/Collingwood 10th, Fremantle 13th

The latest it has occurred was after Round 7 1994, with Carlton 6th & Geelong 8th after both teams had one bye to that stage.
Was Round 1 2010 the last time it occurred, or did I miss anything between now and then?!

3th :D

The amount of numbers in this thread can make the smallest things go unnoticed! Love your work Daics.
I'm not sure what was going on there, I always read what I've typed before posting it, and then check it again afterwards! Hopefully that's the worst mistake I've made lately!!

I'm not sure what was going on there, I always read what I've typed before posting it, and then check it again afterwards! Hopefully that's the worst mistake I've made lately!!

Pretty sure in the Rd 2 game Geelong vs North, a commentator (BT i think) said that Tom Hawkins was going for his 191th!! goal. Would need to watch a replay but i am sure if anyone can find the time of goal kicks by Hawkins they'll hear that unique piece by BT.

Pretty sure in the Rd 2 game Geelong vs North, a commentator (BT i think) said that Tom Hawkins was going for his 191th!! goal. Would need to watch a replay but i am sure if anyone can find the time of goal kicks by Hawkins they'll hear that unique piece by BT.
Thanks for that, makes me feel better!! It was Hawkins' 191st game, he kicked 4 goals to go from 390-394 career goals.

Eddie McGuire was the culprit! He does indeed say "to kick his 191th goal in senior football."

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Tom_Hawkins1.html

You can see here when the goals were scored:- http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2017/091220170402.html

3.10 into the video:-

^ ^ ^ ^

Good get Daics..maybe in this case two wrongs make a right, as i got the commentator totally wrong as well. Eddie was the man, and BT wasn't even at the game. But at least it confirmed what my ears thought they heard!!

^ ^ ^ ^

Good get Daics..maybe in this case two wrongs make a right, as i got the commentator totally wrong as well. Eddie was the man, and BT wasn't even at the game. But at least it confirmed what my ears thought they heard!!
That first goal scored by Hawkins was obviously his 391st (and he was playing his 191st game) so perhaps there was a mix-up over that. Or Ed just had another bad moment! Amusing stuff, anyway!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highest career games total shared by 2 players: 356 (Bruce Doull, Paul Roos)
Highest career games total shared by 3 players: 332 (Corey Enright, Leigh Matthews, Justin Madden)
Highest career games total shared by 4 players: 289 (Barry Davis, Barry Hall, Stuart Maxfield, Michael Voss)
Highest career games total shared by 5 players: 263 (Perce Bentley, Jack Clarke, David McKay, Vic Thorp, Bernard Toohey)
Highest career games total shared by 6 players: 306 (Gordon Coventry, Alastair Lynch, David Neitz, Wayne Schimmelbusch, Adam Simpson, Paul Williams)
Highest career games total shared by 7 players: 268 (Chris Newman, Heath Scotland, Geoff Southby, Chris Tarrant, Darryl White, Jeff White, Garry Wilson)
Highest career games total shared by 8 players: 245 (Roger Dean, Reg Hickey, Paul Hudson, Phonse Kyne, Brad Ottens, Brady Rawlings, Robert Scott, Michael Turner)
Highest career games total shared by 9 players: 300 (Francis Bourke, Barry Breen, Kane Cornes, Garry Foulds, Mick Martyn, Kelvin Moore, Sam Newman, Rohan Smith, Gavin Wanganeen)
Highest career games total shared by 10 players: 219 (Jason Blake, Terry Bright, Nathan G. Brown, Ray Byrne, Dennis Carroll, Ben Graham, Gary Hardeman, Craig Lambert, John Law, Tim Pekin)

retired players only

Highest career goals total shared by 2 players: 727 (Wayne Carey, Peter Hudson)
Highest career goals total shared by 3 players: 549 (Peter Daicos, Fraser Gehrig, Warren Tredrea)
Highest career goals total shared by 4 players: 323 (Percy Beames, David Cloke, Eddie Hart, Wayne Richardson)
Highest career goals total shared by 5 players: 289 (Ross Brewer, Ansell Clarke, George Goninon, Len Mortimer, Paul Roos)
Highest career goals total shared by 6 players: 228 (Chris Judd, Chris Naish, John Platten, Noel Rayson, Ian Ridley, Paul Schmidt)
Highest career goals total shared by 7 players: 247 (Craig Bradley, Justin Koschitzke, Matthew Lappin, Barry Mitchell, Tony Ongarello, Mark Williams [HAW/ESS], Stephen Wright)
Highest career goals total shared by 8 players: 171 (Simon Black, Ron Branton, Tony Buhagiar, Ron Cooper, Tony Elshaug, Jason Heatley, Brian McGowan, Jim Ross)
Highest career goals total shared by 9 players: 174 (Stan Alves, Mark Bayes, Joel Bowden, Neville Bruns, Aaron Davey, Adrian Gleeson, Tony Hall, Nigel Lappin, Michael Richardson)
Highest career goals total shared by 10 players: 129 (Leo Brereton, Doug Brown, Gerald Eastmure, Alan Goad, George Kennedy, Mick McGuane, Ian Perrie, Jack Symons, Geoff Tunbridge, Andrew Wilson)

retired players only

First meeting of eventual grand finalists

Round 1 - 14 times
Round 2 - 8
Round 3 - 13
Round 4 - 18
Round 5 - 10
Round 6 - 11
Round 7 - 8
Round 8 - 10
Round 9 - 3
Round 10 - 9
Round 11 - 4
Round 12 - 2
Round 13 - 1
Round 14 - 2
Round 15 - 3
Round 17 - 1
Round 19 - 1

First meeting of eventual grand finalists

Round 1 - 14 times
Round 2 - 8
Round 3 - 13
Round 4 - 18
Round 5 - 10
Round 6 - 11
Round 7 - 8
Round 8 - 10
Round 9 - 3
Round 10 - 9
Round 11 - 4
Round 12 - 2
Round 13 - 1
Round 14 - 2
Round 15 - 3
Round 17 - 1
Round 19 - 1

I would be very surprised if Round 4 increased its lead in 2017.

From the first 4 rounds, I think the most likely grand final pairing would be Adelaide v GWS who met in Round 1. This is the only time the two teams are drawn to meet this year.

Of the 14 times the eventual grand finalists first met in Round 1, how many times was this the only meeting in home and away games?

If it has not happened before, what is the earliest round for the two eventual grand finalists to have their one and only meeting?

Some other trivial stats I discovered, which I will now get out of my system:

Highest career games total shared by 2 players with the same Christian name: 289 (Barry Davis, Barry Hall)
Highest career games total shared by 2 players with the same surname: 268 (Darryl White, Jeff White)
Highest career goals total shared by 2 players with the same Christian name: 575 (Simon Beasley, Simon Madden)
Highest career games total shared by 2 players whose Christian names rhyme: 311 (Glenn Archer, Ben Hart)

Actually, I also meant to include in the above:

Highest career goals total shared by 2 players with the same initials: 308 (Ron Baggott, Barry Breen)

Breen was christened Richrad Damien Finbar Breen, so technically his initials are RB, the same as Ron Baggott's.

Including last season's semi final versus Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn have now conceded 100 points for five successive games. The last time they did this was between rounds 6 and 11, 2006 (six in a row).

If Hawthorn lose this weekend, it will be their longest losing streak since 2005.

How quickly the form has turned. Just a few weeks before the losing streak started, the Hawks were on 9 game winning streak and sitting two games clear on top of the ladder.

Last night's 15.15-105 to 9.9-63 win by the GWS Giants over the Sydney Swans was the second time in successive home & away matches between these clubs that this scoreline occurred (they did play a Qualifying Final in between then). In Round 12 2016 the Giants also defeated the Swans 15.15-105 to 9.9-63.

What are the odds of that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back