The Statistics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have just noticed on the AFL tables website that we are due to have our 1000th player this season. We presently have had 996 Footscray/WB players in the VFL/AFL.

Noticed this the other day too, definitely a possibility to happen this season with Cloke, Lipinski, English and Lynch all plausible debutants.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

hey guys I looked at the AFL stats 2017, and I know its early in the season, however we are near the bottom for marks i50.
Does anyone have any concerns? I was hoping adding cloke would help increase marks i50 particularly with toyd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo have lost eight of their last ten games with their two wins coming against the Bulldogs.

Bulldogs have won eight of their last ten games with their two losses coming against Freo.

Wins and losses sequence to begin the season:

2015: W W L W W L
2016: W W L W W L
2017: W W L

Freo have lost eight of their last ten games with their two wins coming against the Bulldogs.

Bulldogs have won eight of their last ten games with their two losses coming against Freo.

Wins and losses sequence to begin the season:

2015: W W L W W L
2016: W W L W W L
2017: W W L

The pattern could repeat when you look at our fixture

North and Lions at Etihad, and then GWS away. Pretty much had us 5-1 or 4-2 in the first few rounds

Just joined BF. I could be wrong on this but I always remember going to a game at WO in '92 against Dees where we won by just over 100 pts piling on a big last quarter. I always thought DelRe kicked 5 in the last having not done much in the first 3. Would be a little depressing to find out I'd inflated his effort in my memory.

Excellent memory sir. Having visited the State Library earlier this week, I can confirm that the June 15, 1992 edition of The Age backs up your memory of Del Re in this match.
I also discovered that Simon Beasley kicked 5 in a quarter versus Melbourne in 1985, so I have added these two instances into my table at the top of page 2.

Also whilst at the State Library I spent some time reading reports of some of our great victories. One game I was interested in was our win versus Carlton from round 10, 1978, when we came back from 35 points down at half time to win. When reading the match report from The Herald, one paragraph caught my attention which related to the second quarter:

"Carlton, defending against the breeze, had seven men to five in their defence, and Footscray had no chance to penetrate. It was a tactical blunder by the Bulldogs and only two goals in time-on reduced their lead to 35 points."

There are two things about this paragraph which grabbed my attention.
Firstly, shouldn't the journalist have used "deficit" or even "margin" instead of "lead"?
Secondly, in kicking those two goals in time-on to reduce the margin to 35 points, do people agree that this indicates we were actually 47 points behind before making our comeback?

Just joined BF. I could be wrong on this but I always remember going to a game at WO in '92 against Dees where we won by just over 100 pts piling on a big last quarter. I always thought DelRe kicked 5 in the last having not done much in the first 3. Would be a little depressing to find out I'd inflated his effort in my memory.

Another major factor about this game is that Melbourne had two players who had to withdraw prior to the commencement of the game. Allen Jakovich had to pull out after injuring his back that morning, whilst Peter Rohde was called to his wife's hospital bedside after she experienced pregnancy difficulties. Somewhat ironically Jakovich would later play at Footscray in 1996 and Rohde coached us from 2002 to 2004.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back