Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Ok, he's only 11 games into his career, so it is waaaaay too early say one way or the other what type of career he is going to have.

But right now I just wish I was seeing more from him that had me thinking "yep, he's going to rip apart a game one day"

I'm not seeing top level skill, run or determination. He's clearly not a dud, but he's a first round pick and needs to judged by that level. And right at the moment I feel like his game is a bit... nothing.

Too often we see him stand back while the tackle is there to be made, the defensive effort is very poor, and I'm not getting any sense of him making up for that by being a goal scorer.

I really want him to succeed, but right now I think he needs a good month against (generally) weaker sides to show us what he has.

Yes you need to give kids time to develop, but whereas with CC you'd see a spark of something - a tackle, a run, a kick - that would have you think "woah, if he can do that more often, he's going to be anything" I'm just not getting that with Milera.

Am I'm being too harsh? Too early (clearly it is)? But still, just feeling like I don't know where he is at.

Thoughts?

EDIT - want to make it clear I like him, and am certainly not saying we shouldn't have picked him. I guess this is more of a "what would you like to see more of from him" question... and perhaps a "do you think he will be able to deliver it"? I recall him laying some nice tackles, so not sure why he doesn't get stuck in more. Maybe does just need the confidence of more games?

Last edited:

Think he needs to attack the game a tad more. Almost has too much time with his side step which can result in him being a bit off the pace.

Still has huge talent, and I've seen enough to say he's going to be elite. Needs to stay in the team to get more consistency.

Yep he's 19 and will be a gun I have no doubt. It's just his body seems so fragile, he definitely doesn't go hard at the ball but it'll come once he has the body for it.
Once he matures he will be a game breaker, he has the elite kick and he's a very good decision maker with the ball, that will only improve.
Best comparison would be Shaun Burgoyne, very alike.

Had a great game against GWS and was serviceable against Hawthorn. I expect inconsistencies from a sub-15 game player and I expect he'll get better with more AFL game time
I expect he will as well, but I'd also like to see him have a good month. I don't think he is a guarantee pick yet.

Yep he's 19 and will be a gun I have no doubt. It's just his body seems so fragile, he definitely doesn't go hard at the ball but it'll come once he has the body for it.
Once he matures he will be a game breaker, he has the elite kick and he's a very good decision maker with the ball, that will only improve.
Best comparison would be Shaun Burgoyne, very alike.

To be honest I see him more like Brad Hill than Silk. He's the icing on the cake. Is that too harsh?

Think he needs a few games to concentrate on defending and tackling. Needs to learn from CC. We know he can use the ball, but he needs more strings to his bow that he can fall back on if he isn't getting much of the ball.

I think he's extremely clean with his ball use and seems to have pace.

He still is a very slight bodied player and had very limited exposure last year.

Don't get too caught up in players who make immediate impact, Milera will be a slow burner. Once he puts on some size and has more experience I am pretty confident he is going to be a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the ball's on the deck he's uhhh... I wouldn't say useless as he's still very young but at this point in his career he's pretty useless at going in to get it, also currently has the same tackling technique as Luke Jericho.

As terms of outside players, he's just very, very outside, probably hard to criticise him for it right now

He was good in the first 2 games. Looked timid today. You tend to want to put a bit more stock in today because it was "finals-like" and we want to sort out who can take us deep in September and who cant. He got just enough of the ball to suggest he can be part of it. But if you were picking a team for finals next week he might not make the 22.

But the guy is not too far way from being a genuine weapon for us. We cant on one hand call for somebody better to replace Mackay and at the same time not give a probable replacement every chance to play and develop. I think Milera and Mackay are closr enough (even today) that I would take the youngster over the veteran.

I know he is young and it is important to get games into promising players, but at some stage the club has to ask itself if there are better options for right now and is Milera a liability to a tilt at success this year.

He's at the same place he's always been. A speedy, clean player with excellent foot skills who can hurt the opposition with his ability to make space and find a target

And a guy who has no interest in running both ways, and lacks physicality at contest

He's not become anyone different this week. Has a lot to work on and a lot to offer

Can see where people are coming from now re: his two way running. It's basically non-existent at this stage.

He's shown great potential in previous games, but even his skills were letting him down tonight IMO. He's still only 19, so a while to go to get better, but I'm not sure he stays in the side next week if JJ returns and Menzel has a ripper today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back