No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ross mentioned before the season started that we need to go back to "giving great effort" - the mantra that took us to a GF in 2013.

After round two it appears the players haven't got the message...

Despite being:

No 1 for Clearances
2nd best for DE%
Better than average clangers
8th for uncontested ball

We are:

Worst in the comp for Goals kicked
Worst for opponent goals kicked
2nd worst for i50s

Primarily because we are:

Worst in the comp for tackles (By a long way)
Worst in the comp for opponent DE%
Worst for opponent bounces
Worst for Cont Poss
Worst for opponent cont Marks

So basically, we're not winning the hard ball and we're not applying pressure when we don't have the ball. And when we do get the ball, we're using it effectively, but it's not ending up in our forward 50.

A lot of this can be explained by the poor gameplan. Particularly our inability to generate i50s. But how much of it is players not running hard enough and not going hard enough at the ball?

From round 3 onwards, the stats I'll be looking out for are contested possessions, tackles, pressure acts and opponent DE%. When they improve, we will at least know we're giving great effort.
Good post.

The fact that we have the 2nd best DE% in the comp tells me all I need to know about how useful DE% is at gauging a teams skill level.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ross mentioned before the season started that we need to go back to "giving great effort" - the mantra that took us to a GF in 2013.

After round two it appears the players haven't got the message...

Despite being:

No 1 for Clearances
2nd best for DE%
Better than average clangers
8th for uncontested ball

We are:

Worst in the comp for Goals kicked
Worst for opponent goals kicked
2nd worst for i50s

Primarily because we are:

Worst in the comp for tackles (By a long way)
Worst in the comp for opponent DE%
Worst for opponent bounces
Worst for Cont Poss
Worst for opponent cont Marks

So basically, we're not winning the hard ball and we're not applying pressure when we don't have the ball. And when we do get the ball, we're using it effectively, but it's not ending up in our forward 50.

A lot of this can be explained by the poor gameplan. Particularly our inability to generate i50s. But how much of it is players not running hard enough and not going hard enough at the ball?

From round 3 onwards, the stats I'll be looking out for are contested possessions, tackles, pressure acts and opponent DE%. When they improve, we will at least know we're giving great effort.

Why is everyone always so willing to believe that the players aren't trying?

All these stats can be simply and obviously explained by our shocking turnovers. It's very hard to put pressure on your direct opponent when you've just run off because we had the ball. Have a cup of tea and a lie down and you'll feel better.

1mw5z5.jpg

Confucius

Senior List
Jan 7, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why is everyone always so willing to believe that the players aren't trying?

All these stats can be simply and obviously explained by our shocking turnovers. It's very hard to put pressure on your direct opponent when you've just run off because we had the ball. Have a cup of tea and a lie down and you'll feel better.

1mw5z5.jpg

Quote from Lyon's press conference tonight.

"We hadn't been working as hard as we'd wanted to around the ball and tackling and pressuring."

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Quote from Lyon's press conference tonight.

"We hadn't been working as hard as we'd wanted to around the ball and tackling and pressuring."

Ross Lyon has been wrong about a lot of things lately.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Here is my melt , I got nothing to melt this week .

Oh come now Clarkson had the balls to move on two of his greats and kick start his new era , our bloke can't even move out or try hard scrubbers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The same Hawks who are last on the ladder. Clarkson the supercoach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
F@$K YOU CHANNEL 7 FOR DELAYING THE FREO VS MELBOURNE BROADCAST THIS WEEKEND BY THREE HOURS (actually 165 minutes, but still, F@&K YOU CHANNEL 7).

THAT'S A BLOODY OUTRAGE THAT IS!!!

I CALL SHENANIGANS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back