Universal Love Steve Silvagni - List Manager Extraordinaire

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen enough of Pickett to warrant Silvagni's selection of him. Another tick for SOS.

Marchbank
Weitering
Curnow
Pickett
Silvagni
Cuningham
Plowman

All shown real high level ability in their short time in Navy Blue.

SOS is doing a great job. If fit, all of the above would play round one as would SPS. Williamson Macreadie Fisher Polson McKay Lebois aren't that far away either. Great effort in only 2 seasons

Last edited:

Recruiting and then subsequent development is always a hit & miss art after R1 of the draft - historically for every good player there's another 5 busts. The key thing I like most about what SOS has done, from my layman perspective, is that I can see why he has made each post R1 selection and haven't had to guess why...lets just hope we get better than historical return!!

You cant compare 2 games to an entire season...but I see your point.

Obviously Wright doesnt have the pure talent as Eddie, but hes a good solid player who will chip in with 1 or 2 every week. We need at leaste 1 more of him to be honest. Along with 2 more Cripps, 1 more Weitering and another SOSOS.

I reckon wright can go through the middle too. Loves a tackle. Watched him on the Journey Part ? go through those orange sticky thingies ... can side step ... can move ... well built, solid.

You cant compare 2 games to an entire season...but I see your point.

Obviously Wright doesnt have the pure talent as Eddie, but hes a good solid player who will chip in with 1 or 2 every week. We need at leaste 1 more of him to be honest. Along with 2 more Cripps, 1 more Weitering and another SOSOS.

Matty Wright last year compared to Eddie at the same age..

IMG_0698.jpg

When I saw the title for this thread I immediately thought of Jack of whom I've become proud. So I'll write about him and say why.

It's obvious that he is determined to make his own way and be his own man. A potential obstacle in the way of that is his family connection to the club and the overwhelming nature of the welcome given to him and support for him by Carlton supporters.

That support is nice up to a point but beyond that point it can impose unnecessary pressure and, oddly, threaten to deprive him of his own identity.

It's obvious watching him on the ground that he is highly motivated and I sense that he passionately wants the club to be restored to its former glory. Just coz his grandfather and father who are who they are is no guarantee that someone in his position would have that passion. Many in his position would feel arrogant and a sense of superiority or entitlement. He definitely doesn't have those defects.

Also I love the way he gently rebuffed his Mum for appearing over protective of him when he was injured last week. Judging by his past comments he clearly loves his Mum but he also realises that he is now an adult and he has to achieve success on merit not by association.

Go Jack, you have class on and off the field. I'm looking forward to the development of that class.

When I saw the title for this thread I immediately thought of Jack of whom I've become proud. So I'll write about him and say why.

It's obvious that he is determined to make his own way and be his own man. A potential obstacle in the way of that is his family connection to the club and the overwhelming nature of the welcome given to him and support for him by Carlton supporters.

That support is nice up to a point but beyond that point it can impose unnecessary pressure and, oddly, threaten to deprive him of his own identity.

It's obvious watching him on the ground that he is highly motivated and I sense that he passionately wants the club to be restored to its former glory. Just coz his grandfather and father who are who they are is no guarantee that someone in his position would have that passion. Many in his position would feel arrogant and a sense of superiority or entitlement. He definitely doesn't have those defects.

Also I love the way he gently rebuffed his Mum for appearing over protective of him when he was injured last week. Judging by his past comments he clearly loves his Mum but he also realises that he is now an adult and he has to achieve success on merit not by association.

Go Jack, you have class on and off the field. I'm looking forward to the development of that class.
You've probably seen it but if you missed "Bloodlines: Giacomo to Jack" i highly recommend it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think the MAIN difference in recruiting philosophy from SOS to our old regime is the mental side of things.

All our new draftees seem like very mature, driven individuals and good people. They all also seem to have good footy IQ.

Hughes & Rogers on the other hand, drafted in the likes of Bootsma, Lucas, Yarran, Watson, Menzel & Boekhorst with our 1st round picks and every single one of them fail the mental aspect...eg Menzel lacked drive, Bootsma was a douche & Boek lacks footy IQ

i think the MAIN difference in recruiting philosophy from SOS to our old regime is the mental side of things.

All our new draftees seem like very mature, driven individuals and good people. They all also seem to have good footy IQ.

Hughes & Rogers on the other hand, drafted in the likes of Bootsma, Lucas, Yarran, Watson, Menzel & Boekhorst with our 1st round picks and every single one of them fail the mental aspect...eg Menzel lacked drive, Bootsma was a douche & Boek lacks footy IQ
The main difference is that we have had depth in the draft and Silvagni is more inclined to just 'go for it' than try to second guess our needs and a potential recruit's suitability in regards to the list balance of the starting 22 in mind. Bootsma is one player who should never have been considered but most of the others were players of arguable talent selected under the pressure of a restrictive criteria. Priorities were favoured over long term tactical recruitment. When you are prioritising concepts over individuals then it becomes easy to gloss over any flaws or limitations in players. However, it's not who we've drafted that's been the problem as much as who we've overlooked.

Last edited:
The main difference is that we have had depth in the draft and Silvagni is more inclined to just 'go for it' than try to second guess our needs and a potential recruit's suitability in regards to the list balance of the starting 22 in mind. Bootsma is one player who should never have been considered but most of the others were players of arguable talent selected under the pressure of a restrictive criteria. Priorities were favoured over long term tactical recruitment. When you are prioritising concepts over individuals then it becomes easy to gloss over any flaws or limitations in players. However, it's not who we've drafted that's been the problem as much as who we've overlooked.

We must have overlooked a lot of players.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most recruiters can get good players with top 10 picks it's the ability to get good to very good players later in the draft that makes them earn their pay. We got Jack in his first draft and now Williamson Polson LeBois who all show good signs so far. This is on top of bringing in a heap of talent from other clubs whilst not overpaying or costing much in terms of picks. If he can pull off a similar result at the end of this season we will be a great position. What he has achieved so far with little to deal with has been impressive

Most recruiters can get good players with top 10 picks it's the ability to get good to very good players later in the draft that makes them earn their pay. We got Jack in his first draft and now Williamson Polson LeBois who all show good signs so far. This is on top of bringing in a heap of talent from other clubs whilst not overpaying or costing much in terms of picks. If he can pull off a similar result at the end of this season we will be a great position. What he has achieved so far with little to deal with has been impressive

IMPRESSIVE!?!?

IMPRESSIVE! It's been friggen footy god like!

The state of our list was bloody deplorable when he took the job over. Holes in it that you could drive a truck through and tbh a conventional rebuild would have take a hell of a lot longer.

He has managed to get unbelievable talent into the club the last two years as well as some depth and meatshields to protect the youngsters all using something he scrapped off his boot for currency!

He doth turn water to wine!

IMPRESSIVE!?!?

IMPRESSIVE! It's been friggen footy god like!

The state of our list was bloody deplorable when he took the job over. Holes in it that you could drive a truck through and tbh a conventional rebuild would have take a hell of a lot longer.

He has managed to get unbelievable talent into the club the last two years as well as some depth and meatshields to protect the youngsters all using something he scrapped off his boot for currency!

He doth turn water to wine!
am i right in saying that the future gws 2nd rounder that we traded to the hawks (as they desperately needed it for jom) netted us macready, williamson and kerr?. if true that is brilliant work.

am i right in saying that the future gws 2nd rounder that we traded to the hawks (as they desperately needed it for jom) netted us macready, williamson and kerr?. if true that is brilliant work.

Plus a favour down the line I am sure.

With House Silvagni finally controlling the strings at CFC .... s**t will happen!

FINALLY!

Is this the fastest team built in history? 2 off seasons, and kingy reckons we should of traded Gibbs to do a 'proper rebuild' lol..

Plowman Marchbank Macreadie
Williamson JGM weitering
Pickett SPS Polson
Silvagni Curnow wright
Sumner Mackay Lebois

Philips Cuningham Fisher

Galluci Palmer Smedts Kerridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back