Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't he the "cream"? I don't think I have ever expected him to get a hardball, and I don't think he has been developed to do so. He is more of a finisher in my opinion.

Having said that, poor first half last week, but improved in the second.

That's the point isn't it. No one expects anything of Colyer when he is a much, much worse offender.

I re-watched the Hawthorn game twice because I could not believe the vitriol directed at Zaharakis. Posters just see whatever fits the narrative about Zaharakis that they want to believe. It's the same with Green (though in that scenario it manifests itself in unjustified positivity). That so many watch footy and then post under the influence without watching a replay does not help.

Zaharakis has runs on the board "at the coal face" but he simply doesn't have the body for it to be the best use of his attributes.

He's most valuable, as is Colyer, playing on the outside using his sublime footskills (which have been a bit off this year).

One thing I have noticed is that Zaharakis is running in quicksand again. Not sure what it is, whether heavy weights loads ruin him, but he's got no spring in his step. If history is anything to go buy it could last another month.

Last edited:
Isn't he the "cream"? I don't think I have ever expected him to get a hardball, and I don't think he has been developed to do so. He is more of a finisher in my opinion.

Having said that, poor first half last week, but improved in the second.
the cream? he's nowhere near a good enough user of the ball to be considered 'the cream' (or silk, as some people have described him)

One thing I have noticed is that Zaharakis is running in quicksand again. Not sure what it is, whether heavy weights loads ruin him, but he's got no spring in his step. If history is anything to go buy it could last another month.

I had noticed that Zaharakis was appearing to jog on the spot, I don't mean that he wasn't running but there seemed to be a lack of pace or something, I think some people have confused this for being soft because I wouldn't say anyone can call him soft.

150 aye...

Fitting as Shinji was pretty soft too.

All seriousness though, good job Zaka on the 150. Regardless of what people think, it was just an effort to get drafted after missing out at his first attempt and working hard to improve on his weaknesses. Hopefully the pack skirting from last week was an over adherence to instructions be the outside man and not to get sucked into contests. He's due for a good game against Carlton, can't think of any time he's had a really good one against them.

Easily best 22. Every player can't be a bull like Watson, you need outside silk. Zaka is in similar roles to Kelly, Stanton and B.J (although B.J did a bit of grunt on Saturday night) in that they create play, use the ball well, receive handballs and do stuff with it.

Some blokes need to take their finger off the trigger, the same guys that were calling for the heads of Ambrose and Stanton two weeks ago are now calling for Zaka and Langford to be dropped.

I guarantee this week Worsfold will go through the tape with Zaka and say things like "in this one you need to body up on him before receiving the ball not wait to tackle him" or "you have to hit that ball harder there to knock Burgoyne off it" - Woosha won't just drop him to the VFL, we need guys like Zaka if we are going to go anywhere, they will be coached to improve their weaknesses and encouraged to use their strengths!

Please don't compare Zaka to James Kelly. Kelly is tough and courageous. Zaka is skillful. No similarity there at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the point isn't it. No one expects anything of Colyer when he is a much, much worse offender.

I re-watched the Hawthorn game twice because I could not believe the vitriol directed at Zaharakis. Posters just see whatever fits the narrative about Zaharakis that they want to believe. It's the same with Green (though in that scenario it manifests itself in unjustified positivity). That so many watch footy and then post under the influence without watching a replay does not help.

Zaharakis has runs on the board "at the coal face" but he simply doesn't have the body for it to be the best use of his attributes.

He's most valuable, as is Colyer, playing on the outside using his sublime footskills (which have been a bit off this year).

Most of the worst examples won't show up on TV. The short steps to not make a contest when he otherwise could have started a fair way from the ball.

Need to package him up with our first round draft pick for a GWS mid at the end of the year. Sometimes you got to make the tough brutal calls to move forward as a side.

He does not have the speed, clean hands or sideways movement for the modern game. He's pretty much a carbon copy of Stanton. May look ok at times with his numbers but pure impact on the game are minimal.

Need to package him up with our first round draft pick for a GWS mid at the end of the year. Sometimes you got to make the tough brutal calls to move forward as a side.

He does not have the speed, clean hands or sideways movement for the modern game. He's pretty much a carbon copy of Stanton. May look ok at times with his numbers but pure impact on the game are minimal.
The new Dyson.

Not sure packaging up with a first rounder is going to make it sweeter.

He's a solid player and nothing more.

He was soft as butter today but it's premature to be talking trades etc. he needs a kick up the bum as in being dropped to the VFL for a reality check, then win his spot back and hope he gets back to some form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I being harsh, or could he have done more to prevent Murphy's miracle goal?

Laid some body on him into the ground to at least ensure the kick went nowhere.
A little harsh. He was poor, and as such anything that seems that he could have done better even if he couldn't gets magnified.

I think unless he can change the way he goes about it at years end he wont be best 22. Worsfold absolutely cant stand weak efforts, cant think of too many at West Coast that didn't go hard and with Zaka it has been a problem his whole career.

He is fantastic when we are moving forward but when its his time to go he fails more often than not.

I have watched kids come in to the club like Ambrose, Parish, Langford, Laverde, the Merretts & McGrath who are already ahead of him in the guts department. He should be leading by example for these guys. Its no wonder he cant get into the leadership group.

Love that he's an Essendon man through and through but that cant be enough to get a game any more.

If we are serious about winning a flag it is without the efforts that Zaka brings.
Hope he can turn it around.

I think unless he can change the way he goes about it at years end he wont be best 22. Worsfold absolutely cant stand weak efforts, cant think of too many at West Coast that didn't go hard and with Zaka it has been a problem his whole career.

He is fantastic when we are moving forward but when its his time to go he fails more often than not.

I have watched kids come in to the club like Ambrose, Parish, Langford, Laverde, the Merretts & McGrath who are already ahead of him in the guts department. He should be leading by example for these guys. Its no wonder he cant get into the leadership group.

Love that he's an Essendon man through and through but that cant be enough to get a game any more.

If we are serious about winning a flag it is without the efforts that Zaka brings.
Hope he can turn it around.

Fairly harsh on Zaka here - some of which may be unwarranted.

I don't think his "hardness" is the reason why he isn't in the leadership group. I think we are just fortunate enough to have an abundance of individuals with natural leadership qualities/personalities that fit the role better than what he brings to the table.

As for leading by example, there are definitely cases for and against.

On-field: Could he go harder? Arguably. Is that his role? I don't necessarily think so, and I don't think he has ever been groomed to play that role. As for the names that you have listed, Langford and Jackson Merrett are definitely not ahead of him in the "guts" or "effort" department.

Off-field: He has previously done off-season training off his own (holiday) time and dollar - something which very few of our other players have done. I guess you could argue that Joe Daniher shouldn't be considered a leader because he hasn't paid for a goal kicking coach in the off-season when players like Zaka are funding individual training programs. It's a moot point.

With respect to his spot in the Best 22, Zaka will be a constant until someone forces him out. From our current batch, I am not too sure who that could be.

I don't think his "hardness" is the reason why he isn't in the leadership group. I think we are just fortunate enough to have an abundance of individuals with natural leadership qualities/personalities that fit the role better than what he brings to the table.

On-field: Could he go harder? Arguably. Is that his role? I don't necessarily think so, and I don't think he has ever been groomed to play that role. As for the names that you have listed, Langford and Jackson Merrett are definitely not ahead of him in the "guts" or "effort" department.

Off-field: He has previously done off-season training off his own (holiday) time and dollar - something which very few of our other players have done. I guess you could argue that Joe Daniher shouldn't be considered a leader because he hasn't paid for a goal kicking coach in the off-season when players like Zaka are funding individual training programs. It's a moot point.

With respect to his spot in the Best 22, Zaka will be a constant until someone forces him out. From our current batch, I am not too sure who that could be.

I agree his role is not to be in and under, but I could say at least a half dozen times already this year when the ball was in between he and the opposition he has shortened his step or just waited for the opposition to take the ball and then try tackle instead of going hard and probable taking a hit.

Yes we are lucky to have so many leaders at the club but this is a guy who was in the leadership group and then got dumped. So at some stage he had the leadership qualities and then lost them? Why is he not voted by his team mates?

Pretty sure instead of having a holiday Joe and Zach spent time in the US training and looking at how they can get better.
Also seems that from the small sample we have Joe's kicking has improved, I cant see anywhere where Zaka has.

In terms of the guts department i have seen Langford go back into the pack heaps and get smashed.
Jackson also puts his head over it. he just isn't good enough to make the team.

For his spot in the best 22. We have to wait and see but from what I can see coming through someone needs to make way soon.

Don't get me wrong. When he's on he's on and we are a better team for it but at the moment he needs to work on some things.

Begley may. As might Mutch.
His best would put him in our top 10 imo. quick, strong running with a good kick on goal.
I would like to see him used as a Smith/Greene type a bit more i think. Get him running up and down field as a ball carrier towards inside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back