List Mgmt. 2016 Draft discussion - PSD & RD Monday, Nov 28 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty pumped about the Casey pick ups. Having watched a few of their games live this year, if i was to pick any 2 of them it'd have been the two we picked. Smith always stood out and Keilty had a really strong run of form for most of the season. Pretty sure he won VFL player of the month at one point there too. Just solid ready-to-go pick ups.

Same with Hannan from the dogs. I saw lots of Footscray games at WO and he stood out a fair bit too. Could have been the hair I guess but I remember looking him up a few times after being impressed. I think it's the right time for us to be picking up a few players that have played and done well at VFL level and seeing if any can make the jump up. Seems pretty low risk to me. If they don't, so be it, but I reckon we've built a fairly solid young list.
Can't argue with this we've had plenty of good young draft picks come through recently and the list in pretty good shape now. So there's nothing to lose and we'll be back in the draft next year.

If we can't win a flag with the list we currently have, we never will from the draft. Our midfield isn't going to be able to fit in too much better talent, it's really just a matter of an elite KPD. Especially if Gawn stays fit, we don't need a backup ruck. And one of the McDonalds could easily fit that KPD bill eventually.

If we can't win a flag with the list we currently have, we never will from the draft. Our midfield isn't going to be able to fit in too much better talent, it's really just a matter of an elite KPD. Especially if Gawn stays fit, we don't need a backup ruck. And one of the McDonalds could easily fit that KPD bill eventually.

We have been the worst of non expansion clubs at developing all Australians .. that's what we need

Exactly right mate. Need to start developing players into stars in their positions and having more players that are the best in the league at what they do. Think we're looking pretty good for it though - our midfield isn't necessarily going to be better than WB, Sydney, and GWS, but we have some jets in key positions.

Exactly right mate. Need to start developing players into stars in their positions and having more players that are the best in the league at what they do. Think we're looking pretty good for it though - our midfield isn't necessarily going to be better than WB, Sydney, and GWS, but we have some jets in key positions.

We have the foundations that's for sure and our midfield could be anything depending on how we develop them
Hogan and Mcdonald could become stars and Watts still could become a star
As I said on the main board the dogs didn't win the flag because of Bont, Stringer, Libba, Hunter, Macrae etc .
They won because of Picken, Wood, Boyd, Dahlhaus etc who they turned into stars

Couldn't find your 2017 version of this so Club Mods you can move this to the relevant thread

Now I've been thinking of what Demons do with their first pick for this year, now you guys have an amazing midfield and it doesn't look like something you need to target. Weideman and Hogan are gun key forwards so that isn't a position to target.

What type of player do you think your team lacks? A player I have in mind is a player from the Northern Knights called Nick Coffield. This kid is their captain and he has a knack of lifting at the right moments. He plays mostly half back and he is 190cm, smooth moving and highly skilled by foot and he has the ability to go forward and kick a bag.

Is a taller utility with great skills and leadership a good edition to your team going forward? Would like to hear your thoughts

Couldn't find your 2017 version of this so Club Mods you can move this to the relevant thread

Now I've been thinking of what Demons do with their first pick for this year, now you guys have an amazing midfield and it doesn't look like something you need to target. Weideman and Hogan are gun key forwards so that isn't a position to target.

What type of player do you think your team lacks? A player I have in mind is a player from the Northern Knights called Nick Coffield. This kid is their captain and he has a knack of lifting at the right moments. He plays mostly half back and he is 190cm, smooth moving and highly skilled by foot and he has the ability to go forward and kick a bag.

Is a taller utility with great skills and leadership a good edition to your team going forward? Would like to hear your thoughts

Will he still be there at pick 18?

:)

Will he still be there at pick 18?

:)
He is an unknown at the moment that's why I thought of him. I'm trying to think of a player in this years draft that would fit right into your side and maybe even be an instant part of your best 22. Would be hoping Coffield takes Melksham out of your best 22 which can only be a good thing haha

Last edited:

I'm a big believer in going best available talent with your first pick, but the following areas are where I think we are deficient:

- Forward/ruck
- KPD
- small/medium forward options
- a genuine outside mid

I'd love us to get a player in the mould of Aaron Francis and the kid you've suggested sounds pretty similar with his ability to play both ends of the ground.

I'm a big believer in going best available talent with your first pick, but the following areas are where I think we are deficient:

- Forward/ruck
- KPD
- small/medium forward options
- a genuine outside mid

I'd love us to get a player in the mould of Aaron Francis and the kid you've suggested sounds pretty similar with his ability to play both ends of the ground.
Forward/Ruck
Callum Coleman-Jones

KPD
Oscar Clavarino(good chance will be gone early)
Aaron Naughton
Ethan Phillips
Sam Taylor

Small/Medium Forward
Jack Higgins
Sebastian Williams
Dave Smith
David Handley

Genuine outside mid
Lochie O'Brien(perfect but doubtful to slide)
Joel Garner

If your after the Francis type then it would be Coffield and Naylor but if you want more key position then Clavarino and Naughton are both bigger and more key defenders at this stage but they can go forward. Clavarino is very simailr to Weitering and Naughton similar to Hooker except he isn't as contested. Balta is more forward but can play back

I would think another key defender (ideally one with a good kick and the ability to move forward on occasion), would be good for our list. Even a medium intercept type like a Jake Lever or Aaron Frances would be good.

That said, I also believe that we should (and will) just take the best player available at our pick, which will probably be somewhere around 9-12.

I would think another key defender (ideally one with the ability to move forward on occasion), would be good for our list.

That said, I also believe that we should (and will) just take the best player available at our pick, which will probably be somewhere around 9-12.
Personally I think Clavarino is the perfect fit it's just hoping he can get to your first

Personally I think Clavarino is the perfect fit it's just hoping he can get to your first

I edited my post slightly just as you replied.

I'll have a read on Clavarino.

The draft has been my favourite part of the season for so many years - it was great not to care about it last year - and it's great not to be thinking about it yet this year as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think another key defender (ideally one with a good kick and the ability to move forward on occasion), would be good for our list. Even a medium intercept type like a Jake Lever or Aaron Frances would be good.

If the best player available is at our pick and he's a ball hunting inside player.. I'd be happy for us to punt elsewhere

Ideally best available is someone like Jake Lever, a KPD outside the top 10 that can make an immediate impact and was probably a top 5 talent. That or we pick up the next Cripps-like talent

Do we have to use our first round pick this year? Could we trade this years and use 2 next year? I think it's 3 in 4 drafts. 2 in 2015 and 2 in 2018 would work if I'm correct. Of course I know nothing of the talents on offer. Just thinking about how far we can get with this list and then bring in a couple of gun kids before we lose Lewis, Vince Jones.

Do we have to use our first round pick this year? Could we trade this years and use 2 next year? I think it's 3 in 4 drafts. 2 in 2015 and 2 in 2018 would work if I'm correct. Of course I know nothing of the talents on offer. Just thinking about how far we can get with this list and then bring in a couple of gun kids before we lose Lewis, Vince Jones.

It's two in 4 years, we used 2 in 2015 so we wouldn't have to pick someone in the first round till 2019 if we wanted to.

It's two in 4 years, we used 2 in 2015 so we wouldn't have to pick someone in the first round till 2019 if we wanted to.

Excellent, yup I'd be about stockpiling them for two or three years time. I think our depth is quite strong.

For this year, maybe we look at replacements for Garland, Trengove and Pedo with whatever we choose to use.

He is an unknown at the moment that's why I thought of him. I'm trying to think of a player in this years draft that would fit right into your side and maybe even be an instant part of your best 22. Would be hoping Coffield takes Melksham out of your best 22 which can only be a good thing haha
This guy

I stand to be corrected, but I think it's 2 every 4 years, but you're not allowed to go more than 2 years without using a first round pick.
I don't think so. Geelong haven't picked in the first round in the last two drafts and I heard Chris Scott speaking the other week saying the AFL had told them they don't need to pick in the first round this year either.

Ideally best available is someone like Jake Lever, a KPD outside the top 10 that can make an immediate impact and was probably a top 5 talent. That or we pick up the next Cripps-like talent

We could also trade for Lever with our first round pick ... might be a pretty even deal if we have pick 8-12 ish.

We could also trade for Lever with our first round pick ... might be a pretty even deal if we have pick 8-12 ish.

Ooooh I like that too. I know we have an arsenal ready to go for players so cash and team direction might be tasty for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back