2017 AFL State of Origin team selections

Remove this Banner Ad

State of Origin is dead and it's not coming back. Players have no commitment or desire to put their hands up when the time comes, they are all talk!

NRL love it and to them it's a privilege to be apart of, major difference. End this thread as it's not coming back to AFL

No, NRL players love it because of the money, $30,000 a game is enough to encourage even New Zealand and Fijian born players to suddenly say they were born in NSW. State of Origin, yeah right. More like State of Play for whoever the bloody hell you want to :p

Also Martin and Rockliff are Country boys. Treloar in for one of them (is better than Rockliff anyway).
Woops. Thought Rocky was a Ranges Boy for some reason. Sloane or Shuey in for the other. That VC midfield would be ridiculous; has Merrett, Martin, Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Rockliff, Selwood, Ablett Jr, Heppell, Ablett, Wines, Dahlhaus. Amazing depth.

Brett Eddy is Victorian. As is Jack Viney, who didn't move to SA until he was 14. He's a vic metro boy.

Vic Metro:

FB: Michael Hurley - Daniel Talia - Nick Smith
HB: Heath Shaw - Jackson Trengove - Jack Newnes
MF: Dustin Martin - Rory Sloane - Andrew Gaff
HF: Toby Greene - Jeremy Cameron - Robbie Gray
FF: Joe Daniher - Tom Lynch - Christian Petracca
OB: Todd Goldstein - Josh P Kennedy - Daniel Hannebery
IC: Tom Rockliff - Luke Parker - Dylan Shiel - Marc Murphy
Pretty sure Bont and Dahlhaus would probably squeeze into this 22.

NT Squad

Bolded players are Thunder players with the exception of Barry who plays in the SANFL. Only team it would trouble would be Tasmania.

Interesting to note that the number of NT listed players has halved since 2010.

FB: J.Long, L.Patrick, J.Anderson
HB: S.Edwards, S.May, B, Parfitt
C: C.Hampton, Shaun Burgoyne, N.Cockatoo
HF: C.Rioli, A.McDonald-Tipungwuti, D.Rioli
FF: R.Nyhuis, D,Ewing, B.Long
R: S.Motlop, J.Neade, T.Olango
I/C: N.Vea Vea, D.Grant, L.Holt-Fitz, D.Barry

Would be interesting to see the NSW/ACT team.

Reckon it would give SA and WA a run for it.
Their forward line is elite. Doubt they beat WA though; Hooker, Rance and Gov would be able to contain their forwards.

Their forward line is elite. Doubt they beat WA though; Hooker, Rance and Gov would be able to contain their forwards.

And then you have Buddy and Kennedy at the other end as talls with Walters and LeCras as smaller options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NSW squad

FB: M.Suckling, P.Davis, T.Duryea
HB: Z.Williams, D.Rampe, C.Mills
C: I.Heeney, I.Smith, H, Cunningham
HF: S.Llyod, T.Walker, J.McVeigh
FF: J.Bruce, T.Hawkins, L.Breust
R: J.Witts, J. Hopper, K.Jack
I/C: M.Kennedy, J.Steele, S.Naismith, W.Langford

I'll have a go at a combined NSW/ACT team (which allows the omitted Queensland team into Division 2):

FB: Sam Rowe, Michael Hartley, Dane Rampe
HB: Callum Mills, Phil Davis, Jarrad McVeigh
C: Isaac Smith, Jacob Hopper, Zac Williams
HF: Luke Bruest, Taylor Walker, Isaac Heeney
FF: Josh Bruce, Tom Hawkins, Sam Lloyd
R: Jarrod Witts, Keiran Jack, Jack Steele
I/C: Will Langford, Anthony Miles, Harry Cunningham, Matt Suckling

The top line talent is good, but the second half of the team is probably a bit light on and won't compete with the top line teams from traditional states.
The backline is a good mixture of defence, intercept ability & counterattack, just perhaps light on regarding the third tall.
Forward line looks exciting, with plenty of scoring power.
Midfield is probably the weak point - it probably can't compete well enough with the main teams, but probably OK in Division 2.

Let me know if I've missed someone - it's hard to tell with some of the earlier Riverina players at times whether they're considered NSW or Victoria.

And then you have Buddy and Kennedy at the other end as talls with Walters and LeCras as smaller options.
Plus Ryder/Nic Nat as the ruck combination.

if we cant have SOO onfield, why cant the AFL at least select and announce SOO teams (like the All-Australian Team) and announce them during GF week? maybe even provide a state jumper to those selected with the year and their name on it. Create some interest I would have thought.

I'll have a go at a combined NSW/ACT team (which allows the omitted Queensland team into Division 2):

The top line talent is good, but the second half of the team is probably a bit light on and won't compete with the top line teams from traditional states.
The backline is a good mixture of defence, intercept ability & counterattack, just perhaps light on regarding the third tall.
Midfield is probably the weak point - it probably can't compete well enough with the main teams, but probably OK in Division 2.

Let me know if I've missed someone - it's hard to tell with some of the earlier Riverina players at times whether they're considered NSW or Victoria.
Does Hartley play ahead of himmelberg?

Having Williams and Rampe in defence would make that a very attacking and dangerous defene. Hawkins, Walker and Bruce would make a scary forward line as well. I would also consider dropping Jack as he isn't the player he once was.

coniglio_number1 - It's an interesting question. I went with players who had a little more first grade experience, hence why highly rated young players such as Matt Kennnedy, Will Setterfield, Logan Austin, Harry Perryman & Harry Himmelberg with less experience aren't in the team. You could query moderate players I've opted for such as Hartley, Lloyd, Cunningham, Langford & Miles and wonder if the younger players might be better. However, as a 'representative' team, I felt that some experience was better than none or very little. In that regards, Hartley is less than 20 games more experienced, and as the third tall you could argue a case for Himmelberg or Logan Austin.

As for Queensland here is what I came up with

B: Lee Spurr, Lachlan Keeffe, Rory Thompson
HB: Sam Gilbert , Aliir Aliir, Brendan Whitecross
C: Jarrod Harbrow, Dane Beams, Josh Thomas
HF: Dayne Zorko, Charlie Dixon, Charlie Cameron
F: Eric Hipwood, Nick Riewoldt, Kurt Tippett
FOLL: Braydon Preuss, David Armitage, Tom Bell
I/C: Clay Beams, Jesse White, Ben Keays, Sam Reid

A team that is bloody top heavy but still filled with some very good names. Jack Bowes should be able to break into it in the next year or two which would help.

Having Williams and Rampe in defence would make that a very attacking and dangerous defene. Hawkins, Walker and Bruce would make a scary forward line as well. I would also consider dropping Jack as he isn't the player he once was.
Yes, I thought long & hard (well, comparatively) about Jack's inclusion as I've watched all of his games this year and he's certainly gone backwards. However, without him the inside midfielders are very inexperienced so I went for what I considered the lesser of two evils. Who would you put in rather than Jack - I'd have Matty Kennedy as the next most likely?

I've just seen your Queensland team - I think the NSW/ACT team would be pretty well balanced against it; as you say, a touch top heavy.

Yes, I thought long & hard (well, comparatively) about Jack's inclusion as I've watched all of his games this year and he's certainly gone backwards. However, without him the inside midfielders are very inexperienced so I went for what I considered the lesser of two evils. Who would you put in rather than Jack - I'd have Matty Kennedy as the next most likely?

I've just seen your Queensland team - I think the NSW/ACT team would be pretty well balanced against it; as you say, a touch top heavy.

He hasn't played much recently but I like Aaron Vandenberg, though I agree that Kennedy is probably the better option.

As for the Queensland team I agree. It is a hard team to make as all their best players are essentially over 190cm. A team needs to have a midfield but it is hard to leave out someone like Hipwood or White who are both pretty good and bring in a midfielder I have never heard of. Also thinking about it Harris Andrews would deserve a spot in that side as well.

As for Queensland here is what I came up with

B: Lee Spurr, Lachlan Keeffe, Rory Thompson
HB: Sam Gilbert , Aliir Aliir, Brendan Whitecross
C: Jarrod Harbrow, Dane Beams, Josh Thomas
HF: Dayne Zorko, Charlie Dixon, Charlie Cameron
F: Eric Hipwood, Nick Riewoldt, Kurt Tippett
FOLL: Braydon Preuss, David Armitage, Tom Bell
I/C: Clay Beams, Jesse White, Ben Keays, Sam Reid

A team that is bloody top heavy but still filled with some very good names. Jack Bowes should be able to break into it in the next year or two which would help.
What the #@!× is your problem with Andrews? I've seen 3 of your Queensland teams and you haven't put him in once

Remove this Banner Ad

Back