Griffin Logue 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

He's shown us a glimpse of what he will be. But under 18 squad vs AFL is quite a leap, amateur vs professional and playing against other kids vs big hardened men.

He's not ball watching, but equally he's getting nowhere near it. Not a fault, just inexperience. He needs to be developed, WAFL will give him the basic toolbox to then try and take it further at the top level.

He's shown us a glimpse of what he will be. But under 18 squad vs AFL is quite a leap, amateur vs professional and playing against other kids vs big hardened men.

He's not ball watching, but equally he's getting nowhere near it. Not a fault, just inexperience. He needs to be developed, WAFL will give him the basic toolbox to then try and take it further at the top level.

A year or two ago I would have agreed. Now I don't think the WAFL is a good enough training ground. Grey, Logue and Balic don't look out of place and they'll develop more quickly in the AFL. Sure they'll cop a few beatings along the way but what does it matter - we're not top 4 bound. But we can be in 2019 if these sort of guys (throw in Apeness when he's right) play 20 games a season.

A year or two ago I would have agreed. Now I don't think the WAFL is a good enough training ground. Grey, Logue and Balic don't look out of place and they'll develop more quickly in the AFL. Sure they'll cop a few beatings along the way but what does it matter - we're not top 4 bound. But we can be in 2019 if these sort of guys (throw in Apeness when he's right) play 20 games a season.
This.

Unless they look completely lost I say let's pump games into them. It didn't hurt Tucker last year.

It's not just WAFL that is his teaching arena though. He's paid full time wages to be a full time footy student, being groomed by the coaches, fitness and conditioning guys, video footage and all the other things that are way beyond what he received in his junior days. It didn't hurt Blakely sending him back to WAFL to modify his game.

I'm happy with his results when he has the ball in his hand, he is going to be a great player for us :) But if he doesn't have the ball in hand, how is he getting experience at distributing under AFL levels of pressure? Put him in the WAFL and he'd probably have a dozen disposals still under pressure - just a bit less though.

It's not just WAFL that is his teaching arena though. He's paid full time wages to be a full time footy student, being groomed by the coaches, fitness and conditioning guys, video footage and all the other things that are way beyond what he received in his junior days. It didn't hurt Blakely sending him back to WAFL to modify his game.

I'm happy with his results when he has the ball in his hand, he is going to be a great player for us :) But if he doesn't have the ball in hand, how is he getting experience at distributing under AFL levels of pressure? Put him in the WAFL and he'd probably have a dozen disposals still under pressure - just a bit less though.

He probably will go back in a few more rounds. I think they just want to pump games into him now while we can and it doesn't affect our season. Giving him a run of 5 or so games will let him get a feel for the speed and intensity of AFL. Then he can go back to the WAFL with confidence and knowledge of what he needs to do.

He probably will go back in a few more rounds. I think they just want to pump games into him now while we can and it doesn't affect our season. Giving him a run of 5 or so games will let him get a feel for the speed and intensity of AFL. Then he can go back to the WAFL with confidence and knowledge of what he needs to do.
I think they should just keep playing Logue until Pearce is ready to come bakc in to the team. That way Hamling and Pearce can be our two tall defenders and Johnson can resume his sweeping role. There is no harm in pumpin early games into Logue and its a great learning curve for the young guy

He seems to be performing well to my eyes for a first year tall. I think he will be the ultimate swing man eventually, he doesn't look out of place in the backline,midfield or the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just the running around like a kid in the supermarket that's lost his mum. Hasn't got the footy smarts yet, but obviously has the physical tools.

Throw him in the deep end and give him a job on someone where his priority is to complete physically and they can do the thinking for him.

It's just the running around like a kid in the supermarket that's lost his mum. Hasn't got the footy smarts yet, but obviously has the physical tools.

Throw him in the deep end and give him a job on someone where his priority is to complete physically and they can do the thinking for him.

Going from U18's or WAFL to AFL speed is like going from working at Red Rooster to being an apprentice chef at the rockpool on a Saturday night. Very few players adjust to the speed that quickly, some even take a few seasons and some never seem to fully adjust. He and Balic are both learning at a faster rate because their first two games have been frantic. The best way to truly judge would be seeing him play a role in a 100 point win where we dominate possession, which won't happen. I agree with you and I'd love to see him given a role on Darling in the Derby and potentially even given a shot on Cunnington for a quarter.

Ross isn't wanting Logue to star right now which is IMHO the best thing for him. Ross has already played him at FB,FF, wing, centre, HB and HFF. I think Ross see's Griffins ceiling as high as Pavs, hence the continual learning curve of changing positions.

Last edited:
I had said after last game that he was putting in effort, not ball watching - but not really getting any touch.

This was a bigger game from him. Well done that man!

They're using Logue as the "big contested marking" target in our forward 50. Doing it fairly well for a natural defender too. A bit inaccurate but otherwise good.

Will be interested in how they play him once (if) Apeness comes into the squad.

Has a good set of hands and great timing when leaping for a mark - great traits to possess.
I think the timing of his entry into the playing group could not have been any better. A few mistakes here and there ( by all newbies) but some stirring wins the net result.
Should fast track his confidence, can't wait to see where he ends up and what he's capable of - I still find that hard to judge for some reason....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back