Review Freo defeat Dees by 2 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

30 seconds to go in the last qtr. Balic
He's unlikely to do it again I'd say as he couldn't get to the Melbourne player who kicked the point because he'd had that wee lie down.
Doubt that Ross would do anything other than check that he'd worked it out.He was having a bit of a wry grin in the box.

This is a hard one. The difference is we're playing a different style and his ability to stay deep forward could actual benefit him and our team as he does have that uncanny sense.
As a true crumbing forward is easily our best player for this position.
As a hybrid? He probably falls behind many as he is really only a true small forward.
Put it this way. Put him in yesterday instead of Crozier or Grey. He makes a much larger impact IMO. 58 inside 50s, many balls brought to ground. With our style yesterday he has a place in our best 22 easily.
Our old style? He unfortunately had little role to play.

It is very tough - but I still believe Croz and Grey add more. They may not impact as much across a game just yet, but they both keep their feet better, and more importantly, can play above their head and add a bit more height. I just think the group has gone past him now, given we're not in premiership mode, he should be a strong depth player for us instead

This is a hard one. The difference is we're playing a different style and his ability to stay deep forward could actual benefit him and our team as he does have that uncanny sense.
As a true crumbing forward is easily our best player for this position.
As a hybrid? He probably falls behind many as he is really only a true small forward.
Put it this way. Put him in yesterday instead of Crozier or Grey. He makes a much larger impact IMO. 58 inside 50s, many balls brought to ground. With our style yesterday he has a place in our best 22 easily.
Our old style? He unfortunately had little role to play.

Ballantyne would replace Grey for mine and he's been very good. Would be 55/45 Ballantyne's way at the moment.

Great photos:

501398.jpg

501399.jpg

Imagine how well he'd be able to mark if he tried it with his eyes open!

/\This premise you see alot with the Gerard Healy apologists. Attack the poster.
The bloke is a flog with his commentary. He would do better to call the game rather than carry on Ad nauseam over analyzing mistakes. He could take lessons from the Premier League or NBA commentary. Just call the game. Many other AFL commentators are guilty of this sin as well. The MMM radio call on 94.5 is worse. They are wannabe pro wrestling callers. Gerard is a flog - and he has done it for more than ten years.
Not apologist of Healy. Healy isn't alone in trying to discover the next AFL evolution in tactics. If you look at Soccer and basketball, it's played all over the world and the game styles vary a lot eg Soccer Germany vs Brazil and basketball French league vs Russia league.

It seems that many of the footy media try to a genius and over think the game.

How many smothers has Grey had in the last 2 games? He seems to be effective at it. Had at least one in this game which led to Cam's first goal

Not only smothers but intercepts and sharks the ball as well. Last 2 games he has intercepted a looping handball over the top on the half forward line that have resulted in goals against the play and get some early ascendancy.
Need an enforcer like him running around even if he doesn't get a heap of touches himself he makes sure the opposition earn every single one they get.

Not a convincing win for me.

Freo got dominated in the first quarter, where Melbourne where coming out of our forward 50 and into theirs with ease. How we managed to end the quarter in the lead is anybodies guess.

Second quarter we where dominated and a few mistakes cost us dearly. Luckily a goal on the siren by Neale gave us some momentum into the third.

Then our third quarter we absolutely tore them to shreds. Clearly outplayed them and managed to get the lead back.

Lastly in the Forth the Demons fought back really well and had all of us extremely worried. However Freo stood strong and won on a 2 point lead.

Honestly I would say that Melbourne won the 1st, 2nd and 4th quarters and that Freo only won the 3rd. However a win is a win.

Freo got dominated in the first quarter, where Melbourne where coming out of our forward 50 and into theirs with ease. How we managed to end the quarter in the lead is anybodies guess.

Second quarter we where dominated and a few mistakes cost us dearly. Luckily a goal on the siren by Neale gave us some momentum into the third.

Then our third quarter we absolutely tore them to shreds. Clearly outplayed them and managed to get the lead back.

Lastly in the Forth the Demons fought back really well and had all of us extremely worried. However Freo stood strong and won on a 2 point lead.

Honestly I would say that Melbourne won the 1st, 2nd and 4th quarters and that Freo only won the 3rd. However a win is a win.

So we won the premiership quarter?

So we will be premiers in 2017?

BRILLIANT!

In a rebuild if we can beat a highly rated team on the MCG losing three quarters, I am excited about where we can go.

Will only improve with more time together - shades of 2012!

Yep was moving a bit quicker I thought. Bodes well that he has stepped up the intensity a bit.

Logue too, although he isn't having much impact he is moving well and throwing himself into it. Impressive for someone his size.
This the problem, Ballntyne is 30 in July and Grey will be 22.

For me, we are on rebuild/retool/rewire four year programme. Therefore, play Grey instead of Ballantyne.

Balla to come in and Grey to replace Spurr, Grey has shown he can do a job on the small fwds as seen with Wingard , Garlett chopped up Spurr yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How you think we should structure up if we replace Spurr with Ballantyne?

Interesting idea, has the same purpose of lowering the age of the team.
Who said anything about Balla replacing Spurr, I've got no doubt Balla will come back in my thoughts are that when that happens I would like to see Grey replace Spurr to play on the smalls.

Anyone got an HD replay?

O1
bponlinewoc6264.ngcdn.telstra.com/sigeo/vod/ingest_aflfilms_vod/2017/04/904858/VOD_Source/2017-04-15_02-50-56-2210/output_2400kbps_720p.mp4

Q2
bponlinewoc6264.ngcdn.telstra.com/sigeo/vod/ingest_aflfilms_vod/2017/04/904873/VOD_Source/2017-04-15_03-36-55-2522/output_2400kbps_720p.mp4

Q3
bponlinewoc6264.ngcdn.telstra.com/sigeo/vod/ingest_aflfilms_vod/2017/04/904888/VOD_Source/2017-04-15_04-16-20-8460/output_2400kbps_720p.mp4

Q4
bponlinewoc6264.ngcdn.telstra.com/sigeo/vod/ingest_aflfilms_vod/2017/04/904914/VOD_Source/2017-04-15_05-49-37-5335/output_2400kbps_720p.mp4

O1
bponlinewoc6264.ngcdn.telstra.com/sigeo/vod/ingest_aflfilms_vod/2017/04/904858/VOD_Source/2017-04-15_02-50-56-2210/output_2400kbps_720p.mp4

Q2
bponlinewoc6264.ngcdn.telstra.com/sigeo/vod/ingest_aflfilms_vod/2017/04/904873/VOD_Source/2017-04-15_03-36-55-2522/output_2400kbps_720p.mp4

Q3
bponlinewoc6264.ngcdn.telstra.com/sigeo/vod/ingest_aflfilms_vod/2017/04/904888/VOD_Source/2017-04-15_04-16-20-8460/output_2400kbps_720p.mp4

Q4
bponlinewoc6264.ngcdn.telstra.com/sigeo/vod/ingest_aflfilms_vod/2017/04/904914/VOD_Source/2017-04-15_05-49-37-5335/output_2400kbps_720p.mp4

Cheers bro!!!

Not only smothers but intercepts and sharks the ball as well. Last 2 games he has intercepted a looping handball over the top on the half forward line that have resulted in goals against the play and get some early ascendancy.
Need an enforcer like him running around even if he doesn't get a heap of touches himself he makes sure the opposition earn every single one they get.

He appears (to me at least) to do those things more frequently during a game than others, or at least - pull it off.

David Mundy would make a good ChF.

Should do a Pav and put him forward this late in his career
Far better to work it like Ross did in this game than have him as a permanent CHF. Swapping with Fyfe makes lif difficult for defenders, and occasionally putting all the guns in the midfield was terrific.

Something that should be addressed is the amount of goals that were kicked by Melbourne in the 2nd quarter.

Without having watched the game more than once, I can remember Spurr running under a bouncing ball and mishandling, Spurr getting pinned by Garlett after Hamling dropped a sitter. One over the back of the pack by Garlett shoving off Spurr, and Weller letting his opponent take a uncontested mark from a static play.

I will add since I've featured Spurr a couple of times, that he did very well late in the 3rd term in reducing the percentages quickly when that Melbourne player looked set for a certain goal by hemming into a pocket and making him handball into the square.

Generally though, I thought there was some inadequate defending that coughed up simple goals inside our forward 50 rather than the previous issue of turning the ball over out of defence causing repeat pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back