Review Freo defeat Dees by 2 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Something that should be addressed is the amount of goals that were kicked by Melbourne in the 2nd quarter.

Without having watched the game more than once, I can remember Spurr running under a bouncing ball and mishandling, Spurr getting pinned by Garlett after Hamling dropped a sitter. One over the back of the pack by Garlett shoving off Spurr, and Weller letting his opponent take a uncontested mark from a static play.

I will add since I've featured Spurr a couple of times, that he did very well late in the 3rd term in reducing the percentages quickly when that Melbourne player looked set for a certain goal by hemming into a pocket and making him handball into the square.

Generally though, I thought there was some inadequate defending that coughed up simple goals inside our forward 50 rather than the previous issue of turning the ball over out of defence causing repeat pressure.
Game was won and lost in the midfield. In the second, our midfield lost the clearances and contested possession, putting pressure on our defenders. In the third our midfield got on top. At the moment we're wholly reliant on our midfield to win games. We'll get better as the kids get more games.

Balla to come in and Grey to replace Spurr, Grey has shown he can do a job on the small fwds as seen with Wingard , Garlett chopped up Spurr yesterday.

Yeah not too convinced Grey is a back pocket. I'd prefer him in his current role. I reckon his best form by far at Peel has been as an inside mid but he's never playing there with us. While he has improved his kicking I really would rather replace Spurr with someone I think can reliably hit a target 40m away. Grey is not that. He is a good addition for sure but i'd rather try and bring through a Nyhuis or Luke Ryan into Spurr's role - both are better by foot than Grey I think even with the improvement he has shown.

Yeah not too convinced Grey is a back pocket. I'd prefer him in his current role. I reckon his best form by far at Peel has been as an inside mid but he's never playing there with us. While he has improved his kicking I really would rather replace Spurr with someone I think can reliably hit a target 40m away. Grey is not that. He is a good addition for sure but i'd rather try and bring through a Nyhuis or Luke Ryan into Spurr's role - both are better by foot than Grey I think even with the improvement he has shown.
I pretty sure Luke Ryan will be the ideal replacement . grey is more suitable as a HF/mid .

They look a very tight group.
The team spirit they play with is palpable.
Seems to be one of Lyon's strengths that he can galvanise a group to all work for the greater good.

Yeah, even the newbies like Cam, BHill and Kersten are amongst it. Good vibes amongst that young group at the moment. Will make keeping them easier.

Game was won and lost in the midfield. In the second, our midfield lost the clearances and contested possession, putting pressure on our defenders. In the third our midfield got on top. At the moment we're wholly reliant on our midfield to win games. We'll get better as the kids get more games.

I just thought it wasn't a case of trying to defend the undefendable as it has been when we turnover the ball suddenly and our defenders get caught out of position.

A lot of these coughed up goals were while our backline had it covered with numbers - one or two were from free kicks - what I called 'static plays' or stop plays. Just really simple basic entries to a set defence.

I love Balic and think he will grow into a serious weapon as this season unfolds. He did make a serious blunder which the coaches will hopefully point out this week.
If you watch the last minute Balic kicks it out on the full which was a mistake however, he lies on the ground for about 5 seconds, freeing up melbourne in the corridor and almost costing a harmes late goal. Very lucky boy.
Your highlighting a mistake that didn't turn out to be serious or impact the scoreboard against us . How about pointing out the positives of the performance of a young player In just his 2ND game. He actually kicked one of goals late in the 3rd qtr that kept us in the game . How about being positive and talking Harley up for maintaining his composure and slotting that critical goal.@salim malik Dudley docker

Last edited:
I just thought it wasn't a case of trying to defend the undefendable as it has been when we turnover the ball suddenly and our defenders get caught out of position.

A lot of these coughed up goals were while our backline had it covered with numbers - one or two were from free kicks - what I called 'static plays' or stop plays. Just really simple basic entries to a set defence.
Yea I'll admit a few of Spurr's fumbles cost us goals but I thought the game was won in the midfield. In the second quarter I didn't think the midfield ran hard enough and Melbourne cut through us with ease. They had a lot of uncontested possession which put a lot of pressure on our backline. Their efficiency of turning inside 50's to scoring opportunities wasn't good and something we need to address. A better team would've kicked 10 goals

I thought the main fault in our game yesterday was the delivery into the fwd 50
I haven't watched a replay yet but I'm guessing the times when Melbourne held the ascendancy over us was when we were butchering the ball going into the fwd 50

Mate, this is all just dumb luck. Our recruiters are useless and we have a coach who is too stubborn to develop youth.

Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before I'm proven to be clever and insightful and edgy.
Don't forget "ahead of the curve" and "just calling it as it is".

Or, to channel some depth:
"There is no greater impotence in all the world like knowing you are right and that the wave of the world is wrong, yet the wave crashes upon you".
Norman Mailer

Some posters here think Norman Mailer was talking about them.
Which is a shame, because Norman probably didn't know the AFL even existed. Or them.
Norman Mailer was effectively talking about Norman Mailer. Norman Mailer might have been right, or Norman Mailer might have been wrong - the only thing of any significance, is that Norman Mailer was talking about Norman Mailer.

I think I might have had a point somewhere in here. But I'm buggered if I remember what it was.

I thought the main fault in our game yesterday was the delivery into the fwd 50
I haven't watched a replay yet but I'm guessing the times when Melbourne held the ascendancy over us was when we were butchering the ball going into the fwd 50

I don't think so. Yes this happened, but I don't think Freo got burned that much from rebounds from the 50, probably because of the pressure applied by the forwards, and some poor (slow) forward entries by Melbourne.
I think Freo lost the ascendency in the second quarter and part of the fourth when Melbourne were able to quickly win the ball out of the centre and then put pressure on the defenders so that they fumbled and coughed up the ball.

Also, on a few occasions the defenders blindly passed backwards to make the ball someone else's problem (and therefore put the whole team under more pressure) but this didn't happen as much this week. I love the way Brad Hill ran to continually provide a release option for our players.

I wonder how much having Stephen incapacitated for almost the whole second half affected the run of the team in the last quarter. There were certainly some exhausted players at the end of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Lyon moves him all round the ground, gives him a job and doesn't worry about it.

We are still very much relying upon our experienced players. Make no mistake about that.

The good part is, our experienced players (that we have left) are very, very good. The rhetoric is all about the young blood, but without those who have seen and done we'd be nothing much at all.

Balance, people. Perspective. Credit where it's due.

We are still very much relying upon our experienced players. Make no mistake about that.

The good part is, our experienced players (that we have left) are very, very good. The rhetoric is all about the young blood, but without those who have seen and done we'd be nothing much at all.

Balance, people. Perspective. Credit where it's due.
The home vs away factor is much larger in inexperienced players. Last week there was a much more even across the board effort and being at home plays a large role in that.

Also no doubt our leaders stepped up yesterday but Blakely played a huge role on N Jones (who is in career best form) Weller was one of our best ball users and had 13 in third where we won the game and Balic's forward pressure was great and resulted in about 3-4 goals.

The rhetoric is about the youth but that isn't really taking anything away from our experienced players. It goes without saying that they're playing well because if they weren't they'd be at peel with Dawson.

Every team is reliant on their experienced players, no one is denying that.

The home vs away factor is much larger in inexperienced players. Last week there was a much more even across the board effort and being at home plays a large role in that.

Also no doubt our leaders stepped up yesterday but Blakely played a huge role on N Jones (who is in career best form) Weller was one of our best ball users and had 13 in third where we won the game and Balic's forward pressure was great and resulted in about 3-4 goals.

The rhetoric is about the youth but that isn't really taking anything away from our experienced players. It goes without saying that they're playing well because if they weren't they'd be at peel with Dawson.

Every team is reliant on their experienced players, no one is denying that.
Peel look slow and in for trashing week in week out with Dawson and griffin . if spurr and ibbo added in they will play like slow motion

Agree with most people's thoughts - but this was a senior players win in the last quarter. Mundy, Neale, Fyfe, Sandi, Hil and even Johnson were massive for us. there were shades of awesomeness from some of the youngsters and they'll only get better rubbing shoulders with our quality A-listers.

Only true negatives really are conceding 7 goals in the second and 6 goals in the last. We need to put a bit of a lid on that and I'm not sure how, individually there were no terrible performers in defence outside of the inexperienced Logue and Hughes - I'm thinking Collins needs to come in for one of them.

Umpiring needs to improve. The amount of times they were quick to award a free for HTB against us and not pay it the other way. There were at least 2 occasions in the 3rd qtr we should have been lining up for goal. Added to that, they seemed too happy to play us on quickly from a mark or free whilst giving the Dees all the time in the world. Just go to professional umpires already.

Paying a "deliberate out of bounds", for a long kick into the forward line, going over the line metres from the goal line ?.

Ump - you didn't do enough to keep the ball in play.

Player - FMD, I was kicking for the goals !!!!!!!!!!!.

Agree with most people's thoughts - but this was a senior players win in the last quarter. Mundy, Neale, Fyfe, Sandi, Hil and even Johnson were massive for us. there were shades of awesomeness from some of the youngsters and they'll only get better rubbing shoulders with our quality A-listers.

Only true negatives really are conceding 7 goals in the second and 6 goals in the last. We need to put a bit of a lid on that and I'm not sure how, individually there were no terrible performers in defence outside of the inexperienced Logue and Hughes - I'm thinking Collins needs to come in for one of them.
Depend on opposition forward line , collins will look slow if his opponent is big and fast .

Lyon's a mercenary arsewipe and Suban's a dog.
Our club has no talent or integrity.
Lloyd,Bond and the medical staff are dickheads,we're rooned!
Reckon you're right, and I've paid far too much attention to those who really shouldn't be paid too much attention to.
It's a failing.

Still, though, it's not like I don't have anything better to do, sometimes.

Such a good game. 3rd quarter was amazing, last quarter I was a wreck.

Watching the replay now some points:
- Some really dodgy frees against us and some non-calls which I thought hurt us.
- If Weller tightens up on his defensive side he would be in the AA conversation for HBF. His 3rd quarter was ridiculously good. He is the perfect example of what we have been talking about on this board. Giving up a little on the defensive side for some more attacking flair. He cost us a a goal in the 2nd qtr but offered so much more on the offense. Took the game a few times kicking down the corridor, running the ball, etc. 27 disposals at 85% DE, 6 score involvements, 2nd highest metres gained. He'll get better on the defensive side the longer he plays down back.
- We really struggled in the centre when Johnson was rucking which is understandable... but we seem to be setting up the same as if it was Sandi rucking. On the one that Johnson completely missed the ball and Spencer Fyfe was already on an offensive run when Spence tapped it to Oliver. Surely we should have a more defensive mindset when Johnson is in the middle. Thoughts??
- I think Kersten and McCarthy would benefit greatly from not being the focal point of our forward line. I feel like Apeness would be a great inclusion. He's quick for a man his size and can apply defensive pressure, he can take a pack mark, would take the key defender away from McCarthy, probably provide more in the ruck than Johnson. Then when Fyfe and Mundy rest forward it would really create some mismatches.

Crozier - McCarthy - Grey
Walters - Apeness - Kersten

- What a great experience for the boys, tough close win away at G.

Gee I was on such a high after getting home from the game that I forgot to post here. Oops.

I've watched the replay now, and gee us in the cheersquad are a noisy bunch for how many people are there! And explains how croaky I am today.

But phew what a heart stopper. I don't think I've ever felt so many emotions in 2 minutes before. I'm so proud of the way our boys are playing now. They're playing for each other, playing with heart, busting their guts, and they want to win. I loved seeing them rally around each other whenever someone kicked a goal - especially the stacks on Balic for his first ever AFL goal! And how after the game, especially looking at Fyfe, you could tell they left everything out on the ground, and they really really wanted that win!

Balic's looking superb for a 2nd gamer. He's going to get more into the game with more experience, but you can just tell we've got something special there.
Weller's found his niche now. He's become everything that every Saints supporter wanted him to be for them.
Neale is an a-grader. No doubt about it.
Mundy looks so much happier, and so much freer playing out there than he did last year. I don't think captaincy suited him, and I'm glad he's taken losing it as well as he has.
McCarthy and Kersten are building a great team together. They're both getting better and building more confidence each game.
My buddy Ed just looks like he belongs out there. He was playing under duress, but you couldn't tell. There was one kick into the forward 50 that was just a thing of beauty.
I wish we could turn back the age clock on MJ. He is one damn good footballer when fit.
And did anyone else hear Blakely be called an a-grader on the commentary? Pretty high praise!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back