Review Freo defeat Dees by 2 pts

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
And Captain Fyfe can get his own post because I think there's a lot to say about him.

His leadership has gone to another level this year. Every time someone kicked a goal, he was there to congratulate them. Every time someone looked stuffed, he was there to pat them on the butt for a job well done. When the game was in the balance, he lifted his workrate to Mechafyfe, and was just everywhere that last 5 minutes. The way he went for the ball, backing into packs, flying over the field, it makes me so happy that he's confident in his body, and strong enough to pull the impossible off.

But... anyone else worried about him at the same time? He has no confidence in his kicking at the moment, and that kick on goal was just baffling. Ignoring the GF, he was not a bad kick pre-leg break. And every game so far this year, even pre-season, he's been holding back until the game is on the line. Almost like he doesn't have the energy to run out a full game in full Fyfe-mode, so is just expending energy when it's reaaaaaaaaally needed. When he gets knocked over, or goes to ground, he's taking a long time to get up again, and that's never been an aspect of his game before. After the game he looked absolutely wrecked. It's not often he looks that stuffed. He looked like someone from the biggest loser after their first ever workout with the Commando. Except skinnier, musclier and hotter.

Obviously he's just come back from two broken legs. That's a huuuuge injury. Look how long most players take to get back from broken legs - and how long they take to get back up to 100%. I'm just concerned that Fyfe might be going a bit hard at times when his body's not up for it yet.

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's under a lot of pressure because of the Mundy situation. He's just trying to make up for that. I don't believe for one second he doesn't know he took someone else's place who had the reigns in a very bad situation last year.

There are times we forget these are real people out there. Like you, like me, like that bloke Banker and that Meima dude from someplace most of us have never been who turns up to a sideshow in Mandurah every week.

The cynical call it Brand Fyfe, others call it being human.

Just need to walk in Fyfe's shoes for a while, remembering all the while he doesn't have 30 years under his belt yet.
And then there's that other bloke, Dave Mundy, giving everything he has - maybe more than he ever has - when he could have hung his head after being rejected for the same role after a year of badness.

Am I worried? Yeah, maybe a little. But every bum on every seat in a home game could take a little away from that too. A lot of it is up to us.

And if you're ever in doubt, just have a look at that pic of Fyfe leaning on Neale the other day.
Any one of us could type for a hundred years and not ever be able to describe what that picture really meant.

That boy Fyfe is a man.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
I think now Fyfe's captain he's become a slightly more defensive player. A few of his defensive efforts I don't recall ever seeing from him before. That extra effort on the defensive end may be why he is a little more tired. I think this is as a result of the increased responsibility of being captain.

Also, there's been a few examples this season where he has looked explosive like in 2015, but to me he looks like he has 2015 level strength back but not the explosiveness. Again this could be because of extra effort on the defensive end.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Hughes holding the ball on Clayton Oliver was awesome, probably saved a certain goal. Hughes convinced me with that performance after largely being ineffective last week.

Does anyone know when S.Hill got corked? I haven't see it, but he was limping from around late in the 3rd quarter.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love the Fyfe posts. Had leader written all over him from the moment he walked in the door.
There will be setbacks but the club has turned a massive corner in the last 2 weeks.
We were always treading water till the baton was passed to Fyfe & the young ones will follow him anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's turning into a Joel Selwood type on field leader,so desperate and fearless at the contest.Bit worried he just goes too hard and he'll end up injuring himself.The rest of the team must be so inspired by their captains actions in the heat of the battle.

Logue

Debutant
Apr 5, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
We've got one with Balic, was very impressed.

I've got to say, Mundy's last two weeks have been unbelievable. He is a touch of class forward of the ball and still has those clean hands in traffic, in the noise about Fyfe, his quality can sometimes be missed.

Genuine gun of the competition.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
We've got one with Balic, was very impressed.

I've got to say, Mundy's last two weeks have been unbelievable. He is a touch of class forward of the ball and still has those clean hands in traffic, in the noise about Fyfe, his quality can sometimes be missed.

Genuine gun of the competition.
Combined with Neale becoming our #3 mid and kicking goals, plus the Hills running amok, the potential for our midfield is the highest it has ever been.

Logue

Debutant
Apr 5, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Combined with Neale becoming our #3 mid and kicking goals, plus the Hills running amok, the potential for our midfield is the highest it has ever been.

I would really like to see Kersten have some time on ball, he is a monster lad, but very much a "lead kick" player, would love to see him collect some bodies and realise how much damage he could do with his frame.

Might be good for his contested marking too.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I would really like to see Kersten have some time on ball, he is a monster lad, but very much a "lead kick" player, would love to see him collect some bodies and realise how much damage he could do with his frame.

He has looked way too fumbly for that I think, but he has drifted all over the ground at stages of the game so far.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals

Yeah I'd like to see him running those wings more, he got up the field really well in the second half against the Dees. He increases his work rate by 20% and it will have a massive benefit on him and the team.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
My buddy Ed just looks like he belongs out there. He was playing under duress, but you couldn't tell. There was one kick into the forward 50 that was just a thing of beauty.

Ross mentioned Ed in his presser twice. TWICE!!! That's highly unlike Ross so you can tell they rate him highly behind closed doors. Langdon just seems so hungry to be a consolidated best 22 player this year and my view of what his ceiling for potential has changed somewhat this year. Absolutely great start to the year from him.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
I was very impressed with our other Lachie's performance.I think we might have an A-grader in the making here....What do you reckon?

Lachie Weller I think is doing extremely well in meters gained and has a high disposal efficiency. He's been very very good. I wouldn't shift him forward at all like some around here have been suggesting. If he keeps this form up, at some point he'll come into AA discussions, though I think Laird and a few others have him covered at the moment.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ross mentioned Ed in his presser twice. TWICE!!! That's highly unlike Ross so you can tell they rate him highly behind closed doors. Langdon just seems so hungry to be a consolidated best 22 player this year and my view of what his ceiling for potential has changed somewhat this year. Absolutely great start to the year from him.
Need to sign him to a new contract ASAP. He only signed on for 2017 from memory. He has a nack of just popping up and kicking goals.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
And Captain Fyfe can get his own post because I think there's a lot to say about him.

His leadership has gone to another level this year. Every time someone kicked a goal, he was there to congratulate them. Every time someone looked stuffed, he was there to pat them on the butt for a job well done. When the game was in the balance, he lifted his workrate to Mechafyfe, and was just everywhere that last 5 minutes. The way he went for the ball, backing into packs, flying over the field, it makes me so happy that he's confident in his body, and strong enough to pull the impossible off.

But... anyone else worried about him at the same time? He has no confidence in his kicking at the moment, and that kick on goal was just baffling. Ignoring the GF, he was not a bad kick pre-leg break. And every game so far this year, even pre-season, he's been holding back until the game is on the line. Almost like he doesn't have the energy to run out a full game in full Fyfe-mode, so is just expending energy when it's reaaaaaaaaally needed. When he gets knocked over, or goes to ground, he's taking a long time to get up again, and that's never been an aspect of his game before. After the game he looked absolutely wrecked. It's not often he looks that stuffed. He looked like someone from the biggest loser after their first ever workout with the Commando. Except skinnier, musclier and hotter.

Obviously he's just come back from two broken legs. That's a huuuuge injury. Look how long most players take to get back from broken legs - and how long they take to get back up to 100%. I'm just concerned that Fyfe might be going a bit hard at times when his body's not up for it yet.

I think he looks like he lacks a touch of confidence at the moment. Not so much the kicking but generally, which is understandable. He seems to be building though - as you say he has been out of the game for a while. I'd only be worried if he still looks a bit down by round 15. His goalkicking has always been pretty potato though, even though he is a very good field kick. It's a run up issue I reckon, it's characteristically different when he's having a set shot.

Nightrain

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Paying a "deliberate out of bounds", for a long kick into the forward line, going over the line metres from the goal line ?.

Ump - you didn't do enough to keep the ball in play.

Player - FMD, I was kicking for the goals !!!!!!!!!!!.
Yep one of those frees that will only apply to us. Can you really see any other team in the league getting pinged for it? Whether Kersten meant it or not, how can you possibly not give him the benefit of doubt being so close to goals.

Problem is we just cop it and don't say anything to the umpiring board or media about it. I wish sometimes we had an outspoken prez like McGuire. He would have been jumping up and down about it ensuring that it wouldn't happen again to his team and warning the umpires to be on their game when they next officiate one his team's matches.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've watched the replay now, and gee us in the cheersquad are a noisy bunch for how many people are there! And explains how croaky I am today.

I was in the next section to the left of the cheersquad and thinking to myself that people must have cut up their cards after last year. My wife suggested that everyone was off for the easter holidays, fingers crossed.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I was very impressed with our other Lachie's performance.I think we might have an A-grader in the making here....What do you reckon?
Agree he is putting in some impressive displays. A-grade is his likely ceiling, but still to be earned. Exactly what we need down back. I hope he is enjoying it there because the Vics will come hard for him.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Yep one of those frees that will only apply to us. Can you really see any other team in the league getting pinged for it? Whether Kersten meant it or not, how can you possibly not give him the benefit of doubt being so close to goals.

Problem is we just cop it and don't say anything to the umpiring board or media about it. I wish sometimes we had an outspoken prez like McGuire. He would have been jumping up and down about it ensuring that it wouldn't happen again to his team and warning the umpires to be on their game when they next officiate one his team's matches.
I can't say that I wake each morning and praise the lord that McGuire is not our president, but that's only because of my atheist tendencies.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I can't say that I wake each morning and praise the lord that McGuire is not our president, but that's only because of my atheist tendencies.
You should praise yourself everyday then , as you are your own lord .

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
Need to sign him to a new contract ASAP. He only signed on for 2017 from memory. He has a nack of just popping up and kicking goals.
Suuuurely he'd re-sign with an awesome buddy like me! Right???? I do wonder if the Pies might try & get him over to play with his bro. But I hope he doesn't leave me us

I was in the next section to the left of the cheersquad and thinking to myself that people must have cut up their cards after last year. My wife suggested that everyone was off for the easter holidays, fingers crossed.
Aw you should've come said hi!

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Suuuurely he'd re-sign with an awesome buddy like me! Right???? I do wonder if the Pies might try & get him over to play with his bro. But I hope he doesn't leave me us

Aw you should've come said hi!
I can't remember the last time Tom played for Collingwood, is he injured or out of form?

Back