Preview Annual Len Hall Game, Fremantle vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well we didn't and he's playing against Fremantle.

A pretty good player but he was dropping a few too many last week, could barely hold a mark and did a few silly things like overlook shepherds. Bad for Freo, but he's someone who'll probably come out and quietly vindicate himself with four goals.

We could quite easily be in the 8 after next week, if we win and some of the other games go our way which quite conceivably could after having a look at them. People would be saying " who would have thought" after our first 2 games.

Our forward line is functioning well enough with rotating mids without changing things up forward.

Not sure how an extra resting ruck our backline will have to defend especially if Johnno is rucking too. I would assume pushing Crozier as a spare man or having a tall mid push back like Fyfe or Mundy. Either way I think it levels out with our speed and pressure.

Taberner as a defender is a scary, scary thought. Collins has only played 15 odd games and he's been pretty good in them; bring him back in I say.
Agree on Tabs back being a potential disaster, but not sure Collins will add anything in his current form. He was well beaten by a no name at WAFL level on the weekend.

I'd rather stick with a smaller, more mobile defense and use Collins as backup for Johnno or Hamling.

Taberner as a defender is a scary, scary thought. Collins has only played 15 odd games and he's been pretty good in them; bring him back in I say.
Why?

Our backline has looked 10x better since we went smaller. Why would you want to bring in another KPD?

If anything I would be wanting to bring Tucker in for Ibbo. Ibbo was the spare defender for most of the game and had very little impact.

Agree on Tabs back being a potential disaster, but not sure Collins will add anything in his current form. He was well beaten by a no name at WAFL level on the weekend.

I'd rather stick with a smaller, more mobile defense and use Collins as backup for Johnno or Hamling.
We change our B22 to be fast and mobile and we go from two terrible losses to two great wins, and now some people want to go back to a slower line-up to compete against a team currently 0wen Four (or is it his brother Norton Four)? We need to win the midfield battle and use our speed and mobility on the outside like we have the past two games against better opposition. If we don't, whichever KPDs we have in our line-up won't matter as they won't contain Brown, Goldstein, Preuss if there is no pressure on the delivery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

174244a.jpg

VS

1985-2001.gif

Domain Stadium April 22 2017, 1740 hrs

As most know the Len Hall Tribute Game is played in honour of the last WA Gallipoli veteran. Len died in Feb 1999 so remarkably, the last Len Hall game that Len himself lived to see was the legendary 1998 clash also against North Melbourne. It was in this game that the second greatest goal ever kicked by a Docker (greatest S Hill, 2013 qualifying final) was the cheery on top of a very creamy night out for anyone there.

By contrast, the last Len Hall game vs North in 2014 was a shocking Freo loss, we led at each change before North overran us in the last when we were held goalless for the quarter. Fair to say, Freo versus North as the Len Hall special has had its ups and downs for us.

Outside LH games, we have had an interesting recent history with the shinboners. Many will remember the unwarranted hype around the 2012 North team, and the game in round 22 that year when the Pav-less Freo entered Etihad with the widespread belief in the football world that we were about to be put out of the finals race. Then this happened:

As for pinchgate, I can’t even go there without getting angry, but that’s for another time.

And so to this game. Yes it’s the second worst versus worst team defensive record in the league, with both backlines shakier than a 17 year old from Albany in a Turkish trench. But North have had a tough fixture to start the year and 0-4 doesn’t reflect the quality of some of their play.

How North could win:

a. With two rucks working in tandem North are probably the one team in the comp at the moment to match Sandilands. Preuss is getting positive reviews and Goldstein is class. Our new game plan has us setting up more offensively at stoppages to take maximum advantage of the Sandi dominance, and North could disrupt this plan. The question is whether, outside Cunnington who is top shelf, they have the inside game to capitalise.

b. Get the ball in to Brown one on one. Unless Dawson comes back in (which he won’t), we can’t reliably defend this. Higgins is the key here, he isn’t just a good pressure player but a smart one. If North can get it in quickly and Higgins can organise the other forwards to get out of his way, Big Ben could kick a few.

Where Freo should win:

a. Outside game. We have the clear advantage here. We seem to be getting better each week at spreading from the contest and getting the ball reliably into the hands of your Hills and Langdon. North aren’t quick and we should be able to outrun them.

b. Midfield contribution to the scoreboard. Our spread of goalkickers across games, even when we were losing, was a step up this year. It would drive an opposition coach crazy to have Neale and Mundy kick seven between them in a game. North’s mid to small defenders looked confused on a regular basis against the bullies on Friday.

Possible changes. Mason Wood might come back for North, he’s been a productive goalkicker against us before I recall. All sensible supporters hope and pray we lose neither S Hill or Walters to general soreness, the most hated general since General Bridges of the 1st Australian Division himself.

Prediction: Fremantle 25.4, North 19.15?

Nah, honestly, Freo by 14 points

Post of the goddamn year!

We change our B22 to be fast and mobile and we go from two terrible losses to two great wins, and now some people want to go back to a slower line-up to compete against a team currently 0wen Four (or is it his brother Norton Four)? We need to win the midfield battle and use our speed and mobility on the outside like we have the past two games against better opposition. If we don't, whichever KPDs we have in our line-up won't matter as they won't contain Brown, Goldstein, Preuss if there is no pressure on the delivery.
This.

I wouldn't be against bringing in some more pace.

Ibbo > Tucker

Excellent write up Square Peg and that was an amazing story Dump Truck thank you for sharing it with us!

I'm quite optimistic about this one. North are looking terrible, and the confidence that our kids will take into this from the last two games will be a powerful thing. I'm still in the "I'm happy as long as we try hard" boat, but getting closer to the "we should win this" wagon

I think we're underestimating North a little, as their opposition have been higher tier than ours and they were unlucky (and mentally frail) to lose two. They also historically seem to play us at Domain fairly well, and their fans have a reasonable presence in WA which negates the crowd factor somewhat.

We were lucky to win vs a depleted Melbourne away, but the Bulldogs win was certainly fairly emphatic at home. Two very running intensive games, and we have a young team still building fitness. It will be interesting to see how we back that up.

I'm always a glass half full kind of person, so I think that North will account for us - just - but I certainly think we will be in this game up to our eyeballs and will be disappointed if I don't see that next week.

Last edited:
To be fair Harvey, Wells, Wright have been the ones to tear us a new one and all of them are out.

Our outside run should be enough.

If our defense can bring the ball to ground I'm confident we can sweep it forward quickly.

McCarthy is building for a break out 5 goal match.

McCarthy to kick 5 and Freo by 40.

Excellent write up Square Peg and that was an amazing story Dump Truck thank you for sharing it with us!

I'm quite optimistic about this one. North are looking terrible, and the confidence that our kids will take into this from the last two games will be a powerful thing. I'm still in the "I'm happy as long as we try hard" boat, but getting closer to the "we should win this" wagon
Really, I thought North have looked fairly decent in their outings so far this year. Could have quite easily been 2-2.

I was confident tipping us against the Dees. This game I feel uneasy about. The first time we've been favourites for quite a while.

Interesting suggestion to play Taberner as a defender, but not the one I would make, but kudos to you for coming up with the idea. Logue has played a significant percentage of game forward, and MJ has played ruck. I would leave them in defense and give Taberner those roles.

Play Collins and we slow significantly, plus have too many tall defenders.

Last edited:
Play Collins and we slow significantly, plus have too many tall defenders.

Really? It's one change Gav, and Collins for Logue is not like swapping Brad Hill for Sean Darcy.

Collins isn't Usain but he's no sloth either. We'd still have plenty of pure pace in the team, Hill, Hill, Weller, Langdon, Shero, Grey, Highes, Spurr etc, etc are all still there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back