Opinion Round 5 Changes vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't go backwards by playing Griffin.

Only players we can consider to come in need to be under 27. Otherwise the message 2 weeks ago wasn't clear.

Taberner deserves a chance and can provide a chop out if Sandi needs it.

We've built the last 2 weeks on speed and flexibility. Griffin is such a backwards step in all of that.

I thought Grey was quite poor this week and I agree with Eshed in that eventually his enthusiasm will not be enough to warrant his selection ;).
Yeah I'm on the same page also but for the moment his pressure and youthful exuberance is comfortably outweighing his mistakes imo. Has he hit his ceiling or can he go further? Needs to be given time to show us. It's not as if we have another pressure small forward waiting to come in which is why I'm not over analysing it for the moment. Long term I think it will be hard for him to hold his spot. Our other more skilful forwards need to improve their pressure regardless of whether Grey is in or out of the team though.

It was odd strapping they had on Hilly for a corked thigh - it was more like the style of strapping used to support the knee.

I didn't see the incident, I wonder if it was more a knock to the knee?

I would bring Tabs in to assist in the ruck and forward.

My out would be either of Ibbotson or Logue. Grey not far behind but his tackling pressure is a good foil for our mids (Fyfe, Mundy, Neale) spending time forward.

With Tabs in it would allow ruck chop out from him and Johnson. If we need a bit more height to cover their taller forwards then Logue stays in and Ibbo is out.

Would like Tucker in as well but he can wait, his chance will come.

Hopefully Stephen Hill is good to go. If not Danyle Pearce is back in.

Yeah Hughes has been poor 2 weeks in a row. Still though there are probably other people we could look at first. But I think he'll probably be dropped for Tucker this week.

He wasn't poor 2 weeks in a row. He was poor last week and average / good this week. His collision with Kent was inspiring. His tackle of Oliver which got us a holding the ball also immense.

I have been asleep since our glorious win and now awake I am catching up on the Bigfooty gossip.
The outs mentioned repetitively in these threads, surprises me - and even shock.
I am one that believes if you are winning games that you are not meant to win (going by odds etc.) then unless there is a glaring change then you keep the same team.

1. Newies deserve to retain there spot in a winning team, unless there is a glaring change or really underwhelming performance.
2. The oldies did awesome - MJ back to good composure and decision making - not sure which peanut suggested out this week??? - (I would like to quote myself as saying is critical to us still and will bounce back) .Sandi great contested marking. Ibbo made 2 major judgement errors, but overall good IMO.
3. Hughes is a good kick - for me he is one that we persist with, the benefits are obvious (our permanent new Duffield) it would be stupid to drop him. We bring in someone playing above there capacity in skill, turning the ball over, or persist with Hughes, who seems to just need a bit of composure, however has the ceiling of a player that with confidence, will be kicking from the goal square soon.
4. Wrong time to bring in Collins. Both North and WCE are too strong in the forward line. When Collins comes in, I would like him to play 3 in a row also.

There is the opportunity to rotate a few against the Eagles. When you have a list of players, if we are 3-2, do you consider going for a win against WCE and consider Dawson to negate Kennedy to 4 or less goals?

I have been asleep since our glorious win and now awake I am catching up on the Bigfooty gossip.
The outs mentioned repetitively in these threads, surprises me - and even shock.
I am one that believes if you are winning games that you are not meant to win (going by odds etc.) then unless there is a glaring change then you keep the same team.

1. Newies deserve to retain there spot in a winning team, unless there is a glaring change or really underwhelming performance.
2. The oldies did awesome - MJ back to good composure and decision making - not sure which peanut suggested out this week??? - (I would like to quote myself as saying is critical to us still and will bounce back) .Sandi great contested marking. Ibbo made 2 major judgement errors, but overall good IMO.
3. Hughes is a good kick - for me he is one that we persist with, the benefits are obvious (our permanent new Duffield) it would be stupid to drop him. We bring in someone playing above there capacity in skill, turning the ball over, or persist with Hughes, who seems to just need a bit of composure, however has the ceiling of a player that with confidence, will be kicking from the goal square soon.
4. Wrong time to bring in Collins. Both North and WCE are too strong in the forward line. When Collins comes in, I would like him to play 3 in a row also.

There is the opportunity to rotate a few against the Eagles. When you have a list of players, if we are 3-2, do you consider going for a win against WCE and consider Dawson to negate Kennedy to 4 or less goals?

Absolutely not:

Hamling - Kennedy
Johnson - McGovern / Vardy
Hughes - Hill
Ibbotson - Darling
Spurr - LeCras
Weller - Cripps

Looks ok.

It was odd strapping they had on Hilly for a corked thigh - it was more like the style of strapping used to support the knee.

I didn't see the incident, I wonder if it was more a knock to the knee?

It was actually a "camel bite" inflicted by B. Hill.

Absolutely not:

Hamling - Kennedy
Johnson - McGovern / Vardy
Hughes - Hill
Ibbotson - Darling
Spurr - LeCras
Weller - Cripps

Looks ok.

Baby steps. Lets beat Norf first, who have been unlucky against Geelong and WB. They are better than many say.

Winning form is good form, and I will stick with the philosophy : if we win, no changes.

Sorry rgauci, I was baiting there with Dawson - although I believe he has been a solid player for us in a time of comparative success (for our history), I believe he has played his last game of AFL, barring an injury or two with team form.

Baby steps. Lets beat Norf first, who have been unlucky against Geelong and WB. They are better than many say.

Winning form is good form, and I will stick with the philosophy : if we win, no changes.

Sorry rgauci, I was baiting there with Dawson - although I believe he has been a solid player for us in a time of comparative success (for our history), I believe he has played his last game of AFL, barring an injury or two with team form.

It's funny, I agree focus on North first. But when you look at the matchups against West Coast, it's Spurr - LeCras that has me most worried.

IMG_0879.jpg If we are taking disposal efficiency into a debate hill,kersten,Hughes,logue,crozier,sandi,McCarthy should all be out ahead of grey lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad we have moved on from debating Hughes. And I didn't even need to pull out my trump card - his game saving tackle that stopped a goal against and led to McCarthy's goal (so worth 2 goals to us, and the game :D)...

Just a good excuse to watch the last 2 minutes a few more times.
I'm not sure moving on to debating Grey is much better though - we need more games to assess. How about Spurr and Ibbo? I have some questions about them being part of the future based on their performances so far this year. I can't see them coming out of the team next week but I think we need more from them as senior players, and think we need to at least consider other options at some point this year.

That tackle was clutch as.

I've changed my tune a little bit since last night. North are beatable but they've hit the panic button and need to get their season back on track with a win over in Perth. They'll hit us with everything they've got. We're 2 and 2 and our season is still in the balance.

I think we need to make a tactful change and look at bringing in Tucker or Collins for Logue. Big Griff will get further opportunities but maybe a stint in the WAFL to keep building form and confidence.

If Hill or Walters are sore is still bring in one of those guys. We need some composure in defence - and leaking 15 goals against North will probably mean we lose.

I don't think we had high expectations going into this year, so not sure that we would be in a panic. Our draw isn't particularly difficult this year, it was just a challenging start to it. If we continue to play with the same form, I think we can rack up a fair few wins.

I believe this game is going to come down to which team butchers the ball the least. Should be a good contest.

That tackle was clutch as.
Yeah the tackle was text book, wrap to halt the kicking action and cause the fumble. What I liked as well is where he came from to make that tackle. Just read the play and left his man behind (he was on Watts in that final 2 minutes) to come and tackle Hamling's opponent (Wiederman) after he tackled Petracca (Weller's opponent). Hughes somewhat saved Weller's butt defensively (as Lachie probably should have been up on him). Although Weller then read the spill beautifully and was incredibly composed on the rebound under pressure. Nice work from Sandi and Fyfe to move the ball to Langdon, and then his composure to weave and make that long kick was awesome. Balic making somewhat of a contest in the goal square was also important (not sure wtf Walters was trying to do?) and then McCarthy shows us why he is both a KPF and small forward inhabiting a single body.

Anyone not thinking we have some quality youngsters need only watch the 5 of them involved in that one piece of play that won us the game.

If we are taking disposal efficiency into a debate hill,kersten,Hughes,logue,crozier,sandi,McCarthy should all be out ahead of grey lol
DE% is definitely the most useless and misleading stat of all isn't it? I think we should avoid it being used as part of any debate. If you multiply DE% by the number of disposals and get a total of effective disposals (per game) then I think it has a little more value but still not a lot. I'd be more interested in the ratio of disposals to turnovers than DE - and even then you still need to dive into more detail to fully understand the contexts in order to compare.

DE% is definitely the most useless and misleading stat of all isn't it? I think we should avoid it being used as part of any debate. If you multiply DE% by the number of disposals and get a total of effective disposals (per game) then I think it has a little more value but still not a lot. I'd be more interested in the ratio of disposals to turnovers than DE - and even then you still need to dive into more detail to fully understand the contexts in order to compare.
Number of games played should be taken into account too

Agree, I think you need to add in meter's gained, goal assists and inside forward entries to something meaningful.

Even then, they are only a guide and you really should just watch the game :)

They could improve the stat tenfold by splitting it up. Kicking efficiency and handball effiency. Most players handball effiency would be around 90% (Apart from Sandi) so it distorts the information we're most likely after 'How well they kick the footy'. Especially those players with a high handball ratio.

Even further they could split kicking effiency between short and long kicks.

All these things are already tracked by Championship data. They just don't release the info (pricks).

Agree, I think you need to add in meter's gained, goal assists and inside forward entries to something meaningful.

Even then, they are only a guide and you really should just watch the game :)
they are a guide but they are used in every game as a guide to show all the important aspects of the game.
They could improve the stat tenfold by splitting it up. Kicking efficiency and handball effiency. Most players handball effiency would be around 90% (Apart from Sandi) so it distorts the information we're most likely after 'How well they kick the footy'. Especially those players with a high handball ratio.

Even further they could split kicking effiency between short and long kicks.

All these things are already tracked by Championship data. They just don't release the info (pricks).
pressure acts should be another. Look what got us to a grand final. It was a whole team of players putting pressure on the opposition and that's what these young guys are bringing to the table to win the past couple of games. It's not all down to skill and disposal efficiency

That was Blakely wasn't it?

Or did we manage to do it twice?

I rewatched the third qtr. Brady definitely fluffed a kick into the 50 under little pressure in that qtr.
Gotta say Weller had some s**t kicks in that qtr too.
Even though we played so well last week, the exciting thing is there is still a lot of room for improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with another poster who mentioned Tabs in to back up the ruck, I'd lose Johnson and straight swap for Tabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back