Review Freo defeat Dees by 2 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Aw you should've come said hi!

I spread the roar, rather than have it all focused at one point ;)

Besides, I like the occasional frothy and I got scolded for being near the cheer squad for it (once). I have no issue with that given that kids turn up there, so instead I shield them from my wicked ways by being out of sight if they are legally blind, by being a whole 10-15 meters away.

I spread the roar, rather than have it all focused at one point ;)

Besides, I like the occasional frothy and I got scolded for being near the cheer squad for it (once). I have no issue with that given that kids turn up there, so instead I shield them from my wicked ways by being out of sight if they are legally blind, by being a whole 10-15 meters away.
Fair enough, I usually stand up the back if I'm going the beers. Closer to the bar :thumbsu:

How about that kid Brad Hill. :D
If only he kicked a goal to keep me in the goal kicking contest [sad face]

One thing that really impressed me was the on field instructions he was giving to some of the younger kids. Hopefully what he was instructing was consistent with Ross' game plan (I assume it is), but what I saw I liked.

If only he kicked a goal to keep me in the goal kicking contest [sad face]

One thing that really impressed me was the on field instructions he was giving to some of the younger kids. Hopefully what he was instructing was consistent with Ross' game plan (I assume it is), but what I saw I liked.

and not telling the ump to open his @#$%&* eyes...

Last edited:
Gee I was on such a high after getting home from the game that I forgot to post here. Oops.

I've watched the replay now, and gee us in the cheersquad are a noisy bunch for how many people are there! And explains how croaky I am today.

But phew what a heart stopper. I don't think I've ever felt so many emotions in 2 minutes before. I'm so proud of the way our boys are playing now. They're playing for each other, playing with heart, busting their guts, and they want to win. I loved seeing them rally around each other whenever someone kicked a goal - especially the stacks on Balic for his first ever AFL goal! And how after the game, especially looking at Fyfe, you could tell they left everything out on the ground, and they really really wanted that win!

Balic's looking superb for a 2nd gamer. He's going to get more into the game with more experience, but you can just tell we've got something special there.
Weller's found his niche now. He's become everything that every Saints supporter wanted him to be for them.
Neale is an a-grader. No doubt about it.
Mundy looks so much happier, and so much freer playing out there than he did last year. I don't think captaincy suited him, and I'm glad he's taken losing it as well as he has.
McCarthy and Kersten are building a great team together. They're both getting better and building more confidence each game.
My buddy Ed just looks like he belongs out there. He was playing under duress, but you couldn't tell. There was one kick into the forward 50 that was just a thing of beauty.
I wish we could turn back the age clock on MJ. He is one damn good footballer when fit.
And did anyone else hear Blakely be called an a-grader on the commentary? Pretty high praise!
Allikat you jumped ship have you ?. Wasn't Fyfey your buddy last season and now its Ed Langdon or have I got that wrong. What happened?

Hayden Kennedy's justification for Kersten getting pinged for Deliberate... Just like I knew they'd say. Too dar out to have a realistic shot, didn't make a realistic effort to keep it in, no team-mates in the vicinity.

What a load of s**t.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-04-18/was-a-docker-dudded-on-deliberate

I have no problems with that interpretation as long as they are consistent with it (which they won't). Funny how they always seem SURE when it involves a freo player but UNSURE for other teams.

I have no problems with that interpretation as long as they are consistent with it (which they won't). Funny how they always seem SURE when it involves a freo player but UNSURE for other teams.

Exactly. Although he did admit it's largely open to umpire interpretation when it's that far out and the player is kicking that deep and it goes out beside the goals, and that they have to make a decision what they think the player is thinking. WTF???

Plus, check out his creepy stare at the camera when that Nat chick is doing the intro. Makes you feel all weird and uncomfortable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. Although he did admit it's largely open to umpire interpretation when it's that far out and the player is kicking that deep and it goes out beside the goals, and that they have to make a decision what they think the player is thinking. WTF???

Plus, check out his creepy stare at the camera when that Nat chick is doing the intro. Makes you feel all weird and uncomfortable.

Too be fair, that is probably how I will look when I am nervous on camera :p

May be looking back to the 'good old days' with rose tinted lenses, but I swear deliberate OOB used to be a much, much clearer and more objective rule than it is currently. As always the AFL have meddled and tampered to the point where not even the umpires have any idea what the * they're doing.

It is called "deliberate" out of bounds, so they have to interpret how the player is thinking. I think the umpire got this one right. They got the 50m penalty right for Brad Hill going over the mark as well. The problem is that they ignored 3 Melbourne players encroaching the mark by a further distance earlier in the game.
It's not the frees the umpires get wrong that hurt the most, it's the ones they don't pay. And I think the problem is that the ones they don't pay are not put to as much scrutiny, which is why there are more of them, and they get away with it.

And the old ex umpire looks like that at the beginning of every Whistle segment. Still presents himself well otherwise.

That's where I think there are rules in this game where the adjudication is fundamentally flawed. Umpires have a hard enough time as it is, without having rules where they have to try and guess what a player is thinking. "Deliberate" suggests with intent - how do they know for sure that his intention wasn't to kick a goal?

Holding is holding
A push is a push
High tackle is high tackle (except when it's Shuey)
OOF is OOF

Many deliberates (like the Melbourne guy who paddled it out in the 3rd quarter) are pretty clear-cut, but a lot aren't. Yeah they probably did get it right - he didn't do EVERYTHING in his power to keep it in. I mean he didn't kick the goal so the umps may as well give it to the opposition. :rolleyes:

But consistency = consistency would be nice, and maybe all these "umpire interpretations trying to guess what the player might be thinking" don't help in this area much.

How can it be too far out to be a realistic shot when he was within range of bouncing it through? So what would they have done if it had gone through for a goal then?

'Nope, no score - that was too far out for you to be allowed to have a shot. Free kick Melbourne'

I am actually ok with Kersten's kick being pinged as deliberate. It's fair to assume that he didn't meant to kick to out to the boundary, but it did go out the boundary with no players near it with a reasonable chance to grab the ball. I think that's a fair interpretation of deliberate, without resorting to mind reading of course :D

What I couldn't handle was Brad Hill's first 50m penalty. How many times have we heard umpires telling players to keep moving back on their mark without giving them a penalty?
With Hill it is "Brad, Brad<Beeeeeep>"
I actually don't blame Brad for complaining.

And the worst was Fyfe being tripped with no prior opportunity being pinged with a throw right in front of goal. But to be fair, Spencer was called for a throw with no prior as well that lead to a Neale goal. At least they are consistent here. Consistently bad that is.

Maybe in the situation Kersten was in - a hang time punt that goes higher than it does longer might be an option into a barren forward line.
One where he might be able to contest it himself since the kicker has the best idea of what he's trying to do and where it might land.

I am actually ok with Kersten's kick being pinged as deliberate. It's fair to assume that he didn't meant to kick to out to the boundary, but it did go out the boundary with no players near it with a reasonable chance to grab the ball. I think that's a fair interpretation of deliberate, without resorting to mind reading of course :D

What I couldn't handle was Brad Hill's first 50m penalty. How many times have we heard umpires telling players to keep moving back on their mark without giving them a penalty?
With Hill it is "Brad, Brad<Beeeeeep>"
I actually don't blame Brad for complaining.

And the worst was Fyfe being tripped with no prior opportunity being pinged with a throw right in front of goal. But to be fair, Spencer was called for a throw with no prior as well that lead to a Neale goal. At least they are consistent here. Consistently bad that is.

Yep, umpire Mitchell was dead against us all game which is surprising because he did a good job the week before. So either he's a Melb supporter, a Dogs hater or he was told to pull his head in after not giving us a rough go against the Bullies.

It is called "deliberate" out of bounds, so they have to interpret how the player is thinking. I think the umpire got this one right. They got the 50m penalty right for Brad Hill going over the mark as well. The problem is that they ignored 3 Melbourne players encroaching the mark by a further distance earlier in the game.
It's not the frees the umpires get wrong that hurt the most, it's the ones they don't pay. And I think the problem is that the ones they don't pay are not put to as much scrutiny, which is why there are more of them, and they get away with it.

And the old ex umpire looks like that at the beginning of every Whistle segment. Still presents himself well otherwise.

Was at the game on the boundary, Brad Hill wasn't over the mark and also no warning from the umpire to get back. Watts went over the mark by two metres (right in front of me and nothing. Total bs and for me it was cheating.

Ok, a standard has been set, that means with the open forward line setup ( at times all forwards are around the midfield ), there will be at least 4 similar occurrences, per game, this weekend.

So let us see, ................ 4 deliberates per game, multiplied by 9 games, equals 36 frees to be paid !!!!.

Pig's 'll fly, none will be paid !!!!!!.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back