2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. A year is a long time, and after our year last year no one would have believed we could attract 4 young up and comers to the club considering. Part of that was because of the go home factor and opportunity, but part of it was because our fundamentals - well-resourced club, good fan base, coach with a good rep, some star players - were sound. Hawthorn will always be a destination club in that regard.
But our list has their best players in their mid 20's mixed with some youth that we used first and second round picks on. Hawthorn used all of their prior early picks to trade in established players and the youth they are playing now are all second to fourth rounders. Because they previously finished so high they've also all been all at the end of their respective rounds.

We had injuries to our prime movers last season and we knew they would be back . Clarkson hasn't had the problem of injuries and if he did the Hawks have nothing coming through. They are in diabolical trouble, old list with nothing of value to trade , lack of good young talent and no draft picks. Good luck if you're a Hawks supporter for the next 10 years.

Did he? Didn't they already have Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Franklin, Roughead and Sewell when he arrived? And then he had like 11 first round picks over the next 3 years?

I must admit I'm not a full bottle but I was sure they had a heap of quality players on the list when he arrived in 2005 wasn't it?

They were all very young then. I think he can be given credit for developing his young squad. He got rid of a lot of the older players in his first two years.

"Clarkson was appointed to his first senior Australian Football League (AFL) coaching role for the 2005 season, when the Hawks appointed him to lead their rebuilding phase. He was prepared to delist older players and introduce a youth policy. Club veterans Rayden Tallis, Mark Graham, Kris Barlow, Luke McCabe and Lance Picioane left the club and Nathan Thompson was traded to North Melbourne. Hawthorn had five wins in Clarkson's debut season. Another round of culling saw the delisting of Angelo Lekkas and Nick Holland and the trade of Jonathan Hay and Nathan Lonie. Clarkson brought to the club delisted players Brent Guerra and Stephen Gilham whom he knew from his time at Port Adelaide." Wikipedia.

I'm happy to see Hawthorn fans suffer. But Clarko has been the outstanding coach of this century so far, and deserves that acknowledgement.
Now if Lyon can fast track his rebuild and Freo win premierships, then Clarko will have a rival.

Won't happen loh, need longer time to rebuild. They still had a few quality player there. Sicily , Gunston , breust.

That's only a handful. The rest of their list is mostly too old or not good enough. They have also lost too much in the back rooms, with all the assistants, Mark Evans, Stuart Fox, Fagan. It's not just players. That's a lot of experience and knowledge to replace and things to get right.

I'm happy to see Hawthorn fans suffer. But Clarko has been the outstanding coach of this century so far, and deserves that acknowledgement.
Now if Lyon can fast track his rebuild and Freo win premierships, then Clarko will have a rival.
Don't get me wrong, I think Clarkson is a fantastic coach but I also think the timing of Hawthorn's premiership run was extremely convenient. Having that many quality players already on the list (even as youngsters) and then effectively getting the chance to inject another 11 first round quality players on top is far more than Lyon got to work with when he came across to Freo. Power to Clarkson for fully utilising what he had available though - we'll now get to see what he can do without that kind of incredible draft/trade currency to work with. Apart from GWS and GCS I'm not sure we'll ever see a list with that much quality in it again - although Adelaide might prove me wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many collingwood fans have? Its the same with hawthorn they wont sadly :(

Nah, Hawthorn fans are a completely different breed. Most have never experienced really bad games, unlike Collingwood fans who went through years of it.
I reckon they are the most unlikeable of all AFL supporter groups (yes, even worse than Eagles fans as a collective). Times get tough, their numbers will evaporate. Bring on Tassie!

Last edited:
That reminds me, I noticed something interesting reading one of the Hawthorn threads the other day. A couple of very prominent Hawks fans had suddenly started referring to their team as 'them' and 'they', when I'm sure they've always been the 'we, we, we' types before.

Hawthorn fans are probably the worst in the league for thinking the success of their team reflects on them personally and that it imbues them with a superior understanding of the game (aka the eagles of the east), so I wasn't surprised to see them starting to subtly disassociate themselves from the team now bad times have arrived that might reflect negatively on their own self-worth.

Last edited:
Nah, Hawthorn fans are a completely different breed. Most have never experienced really bad games, unlike Collingwood fans who went through years of it.
I reckon they are the most unlikeable of all AFL supporter groups (yes, even worse than Eagles fans as a collective). Times get tough, there numbers will evaporate. Bring on Tassie!

Think of the pets, will their memberships be renewed ?.

That reminds me, I noticed something interesting reading one of the Hawthorn threads the other day. A couple of very prominent Hawks fans had suddenly started referring to their team as 'them' and 'they', when I'm sure they've always been the 'we, we, we' types before.

I've always considered Hawthorn fans to be perhaps the worst in the league for thinking the success of their team reflects on them personally and imbues them with a superior understanding of the game (the eagles of the east), so I wasn't surprised to see them starting to subtly disassociate themselves from the team now bad times have arrived that might reflect negatively on their own self-worth.

What are those sad *s going to live vicariously through now? UFC? US politics? The theatre? They'll probably just get hooked on ice or fentanyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back