Opinion Round 5 Changes vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a number of changes that have been suggested that I just don't get.
  • A KPD for a KPF due to ruck requirements (Tabs for Logue/MJ). Like Ross will ever agree to that.
  • A small Medium defender for a mid (Tucker for Spurr). Seriously Tucker is making his move in the Peel midfield and there is 0 chance that he will there in the bigs.
Whilst I see the desire to put some more youth into the team. If we have leant one thing from RTB, it is the he never changes a winning combo.

Unless Hill has an amputation there will be no changes.

I think Tabs' defensive pressure is OK (avge tackles >2). We've been exposed in the past when Tabs, Pav and Griff/Sandi have all been in the same forward line. I think Tabs in conjunction with Cam Mac, Kersten, Grey, Crozier and Mundy/Fyfe/Neale will give us good forward half pressure. I take your point about the best defender versus the biggest but I think if Tabs played against Melbourne, he would have got McDonald most of the time (of course they all rotate). Tabs can hurt opposition sides in the air if he gets a match up that suits him :p
I'd be confident he'll get an opportunity at some point in the coming rounds. But for his sake I hope he has all his ducks in a row when he gets that opportunity, which is why I wouldn't be in a rush to put him in yet. He's building good form at Peel, he's been working on his rucking apparently, and I'm sure they are working on his pressure also. If he comes in and shows something (like he did against Brisbane) in his first game he could secure a spot in the B22 for the foreseeable future. But if he comes in and struggles I think he'll quickly lose the confidence of the coaches, his team mates and himself and be on the back foot and likely dropped again. That would be disastrous for his career. There'll be players in the current B22 that will need to go back to Peel to work on things at some point, but for the moment they deserve a run of games (especially whilst we are winning).

I don't know if this has been said yet. It's a study in probabilities, but *if* Richmond beat Melbourne, Adelaide beat Gold Coast, Geelong beat St Kilda and Collingwood beat Essendon and we beat North, then we're in the top 8, the way I got it figured.
Well we're stuffed. Buckly couldn't beat a snail unless he had a 100m start

I reallylike our mobile mid range forward line. Apart from Grey, and Neale we are pretty good in the contested arial contests, even Walters can sit on someone's head. Makes it harder for teams to intercept mark as the target is different all the time and our players tend to lower their eyes and their kicks.

Taberner, for me shouldn't select into the team until his form at Peel makes impossible not to choose him.

That would make him the best KPF in the comp!

I'd settle for halfway between that and his usual norm.

I meant more the effort, workrate and quality of his possessions. Bris were poop that day. Of course he's not going to have the same stats and kick 5 against every opposition even with the same effort. But the difference that day was that he held most of his marks, he nailed his shots on goal and he worked bloody hard.

I reallylike our mobile mid range forward line. Apart from Grey, and Neale we are pretty good in the contested arial contests, even Walters can sit on someone's head. Makes it harder for teams to intercept mark as the target is different all the time and our players tend to lower their eyes and their kicks.

Taberner, for me shouldn't select into the team until his form at Peel makes impossible not to choose him.

Round 1 we were definitely still bombing it long to McCarthy as if he was the new Pavlich, Round 2 not even sure we had a forward structure. Definitely now we are maintaining a structure forward of the ball and more often lowering the vision and hitting up whoever is free. Newbies in particular still not always but we are hopefully slowly improving decision making under pressure.

Neale in the forward line is the interesting one really. I think RTB is doing a lot of flipping of players in games with Neale and even Kersten and others. Have seen Kersten do some defensive spoils and then drift back forward again.

Last edited:
So it doesn't matter what the guy does at training or playing for Peel, he doesn't get a game because you think if we bring Tabs in he will get dropped after two games due to him not applying enough pressure? Did you feel that way after his back to back games last year against Brisbane and Port last year? These comments are from SEN Inside Football for Tabs' games from round 6 to round 12 last year..........
6 Adel One goal, four tackles and three scoring assists. 6
7 GWS Marked well but not in the play enough to be damaging. 5
8 Haw Shows some good signs as tall forward but needs to hold more of his marks. 5
9 Rich Took two contested marks in the wet. 5
10 StK The forward of the future and has great attributes, but needs to hold marks. 6
11 Ess Showed good signs. Took strong marks. Just needed to kick goals. 5
12 Bris Dominated the first half and finished with career high five goals. 8

I'm saying, there is no benefit bringing him in after giving logue two games, he will not apply the pressure we need up forward
Yeah he played good footy in those games, that was not my point what so ever haha
Why not give Logue three more let him find his feet and if tabs is demanding a spot in the wafl then bring him in.
Why give logue two games then send him back the week there is a bye in the wafl it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm saying, there is no benefit bringing him in after giving logue two games, he will not apply the pressure we need up forward
Yeah he played good footy in those games, that was not my point what so ever haha
Why not give Logue three more let him find his feet and if tabs is demanding a spot in the wafl then bring him in.
Why give logue two games then send him back the week there is a bye in the wafl it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess I'm favouring the 4 points over games into the kids but only at the margin (off the rookie list, Tabs is still a "kid"). I equate him to Crozier who played plenty of ordinary footy at AFL level. He spent 2 weeks at Peel for one excellent game and one OK game. to me he's been a revelation since coming back. It's as if the penny drops in terms of understanding the workrate that's required. It seems to me that Taberner might be ready to do the same thing. Of course, he might not but we'll never know if we don't give him a go. I really like him in terms of his modern AFL build and athleticism, so hope he gets a game because I think it's a good game for a ~200cm key fwd to come in. I don't think two games and then back to WAFL will do Logue any harm. I agree that it's a pity about the bye but you can say that for Tabs, Tucker and Sutcliffe assuming there are no changes this week. They all miss an opportunity to impress. Anyway it's an interesting debate and always nice to chat. Thanks Rhino20 and wayToGo for your well considered replies :rolleyes:

Consolation prize: Tab match day emergency instead of d.pearce .

I guess I'm favouring the 4 points over games into the kids but only at the margin (off the rookie list, Tabs is still a "kid"). I equate him to Crozier who played plenty of ordinary footy at AFL level. He spent 2 weeks at Peel for one excellent game and one OK game. to me he's been a revelation since coming back. It's as if the penny drops in terms of understanding the workrate that's required. It seems to me that Taberner might be ready to do the same thing. Of course, he might not but we'll never know if we don't give him a go. I really like him in terms of his modern AFL build and athleticism, so hope he gets a game because I think it's a good game for a ~200cm key fwd to come in. I don't think two games and then back to WAFL will do Logue any harm. I agree that it's a pity about the bye but you can say that for Tabs, Tucker and Sutcliffe assuming there are no changes this week. They all miss an opportunity to impress. Anyway it's an interesting debate and always nice to chat. Thanks Rhino20 and wayToGo for your well considered replies :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree for sure it's a bummer for anyone especially when you look at tabs wafl form and then to have no game if he doesn't come into the side.
I just feel logue would be more affected by it than those boys with 3-4 years of experience compared to logue having two games and starting to find his feet and then nothing for a week... who knows tho anything could happen come Thursday haha
You too mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just finished watching the replay and I was paying particular attention to Hughes' game. I've also just finished wiping the egg off my face and I have to say that his game was at the very, very worst 'acceptable' from a young player. Comfortably better than Spurr for example.

Therefore;

Out: Spurr and Ibbotson.

In: Tucker and Collins.

Even winning sides can improve via change. Need another tall for North as well imo.

This +100

I really hate the fact that we have to waste our time with the Roadkill this weekend. They are quite simply not worthy of our time. How do North supporters live with themselves? They must exist in a permanent state of catatonia as they come to grips with their greatest mistake: Supporting North.

Glad to see North are resting Pruess, now both teams are playing one true ruckman.

Really happy that a Sutty or Pearce hasn't been selected because there was a injury and instead gone to youth again.
Tucker will become a very good player one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back