FTA-TV 13 Reasons Why

Remove this Banner Ad

they also consulted with psychiatrists and experts about what do rape victims do during the act itself, they were told a great majority freeze and disconnect in the moment, its their minds way of protecting them from what is happening to them.

I did not read the book and finished watching the series last week. It was compelling TV, drawn out of course. We kept asking why was it taking Clay so long to listen to the tapes. You'd think he'd binge listen (just as I did with the TV show).

the other thing that pissed me off was the role of the school counsellor. I have never seen a school where the counsellor (a) has as much prominence as the principal, and (b) puts the school's interests ahead of the students who he counsels. That seemed too unbelievable.

Interesting to hear on the news today that psychologist, Michael Carr-Gregg, has spoken out about the TV series, describing it as a "suicide manual" that offers no solutions. I suspect he has promoted a new wave of interest in the series.

According to some articles netflix is considering a sequel. Hopefully they don't do it as the important story has been told and told well.
Netflix has produced a documentary sequel where the cast talk about their roles. It was released in the USA in March.

Hmmmmm. I saw my daughter watching this today and asked her what it was. She didn't mention 'suicide'.

This worries me, I think I will stop her watching this.
How old is your daughter?

I liked the show. It's sort of made me reevaluate my everyday discussions and interactions with people, not knowing what is going on inside their heads.

Would definitely not recommend this to anyone that may be suicidal or even has depression.

I could imagine a second season. Similar to the first season, but replace suicide with mass murder (school shooting, which was hinted at in the finale). Replace 13 tapes with 13 photos. Have Clay (or another, new protagonist) get sent a package with the photos shown in the finale. The season would still have flashbacks with Hannah, as her parents go through the tapes. We'd get to see what happens to Bryce re: criminal proceedings (or lack thereof, not quite sure if the final tape would be admissible in court). The overall theme would be similar to the first season.

6 episodes in and am pretty sick of just watching the dip s**t main guy just walking around with a dip s**t look on his face just staring into the distance looking like a dip s**t.

Not sue if i'm gonna see this one out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching episode 5 now and I can't really see what all the fuss is about. It is okay T.V. but not this great new show people make it out to be. The only thing keeping me coming back is finding out why Clay is on one of the tapes.

6 episodes in and am pretty sick of just watching the dip s**t main guy just walking around with a dip s**t look on his face just staring into the distance looking like a dip s**t.

dont be a dip s**t mate

Much the same in his interviews about the show.

Watching episode 5 now and I can't really see what all the fuss is about. It is okay T.V. but not this great new show people make it out to be. The only thing keeping me coming back is finding out why Clay is on one of the tapes.

Now that I have finished it I'll say it did improve in the second half of the season. I hope they make a second season so we can see the aftermath.

I enjoyed the show, as bad as that sounds when discussing a show about suicide. I can relate to Clay in the sense I was not some cocksure jock type, but more middling in the scheme of things, and quite shy when dealing with my crush, or girls in general. Pre-dating a social media generation at school, I see this as an insight as to how much bullying is a never-ending thing these days, and how it can lead someone to do what Hannah did.

I actually felt the gut punch for Clay's Ep mostly, as it was his indecision and inherent shyness that was his cause in her decision, a horrible thing to feel guilt over..."if only I told her how much I liked her, I could have saved her". Of course by that stage she was well on her way down the dark path, so it would have to had been a lot earlier in the scheme of things to make a difference.

I found the actual suicide quite hard to watch, as well as the parents finding her. I thought that last few eps were well acted. I've been blessed to never have any first hand experience with suicide, despite having people close to me having depression. I'm glad I watched it, but I can understand people having concerns.

Just binge watched the last 4 episodes and now feel incredibly sad. The last two episodes are heavy, which sounds stupid given the premise of the show but there were parts I physically couldn't watch. Not for those struggling with life.

Whoever made this show watched or read The Rules of Attraction. Over the years i've seen a lot of shows and films that are similar in nature but this set itself apart as it contained some very graphic and confronting scenes.
After the final episode my overall feeling is disappointment. Didn't like the finale. Didn't come together as I hoped it would.
The first few episodes didn't really catch me. I wasn't really excited about proceeding but it took off and became compelling in the middle episodes. The performances of the leads, the interactions of key characters and insights extracted from some of the mains dramatic scenes are what made it for me.

I don't really know how to take it overall. It was entertaining as * and executed brilliantly (some of the transitions and shots were brilliant).But on the other hand it feel like it should have gotten a more documentary/real feel for such a serious topic. A bit too much plastic and glamorous and telegraphed for entertainment purposes. I agree it may not be good for some vulnerable young people out there.

I loved it. Early on was worried it was a bit too teeny bopper but by the end it's a lot more adult. I felt for Hannah (suicide girl) pretty early on but the things that happened later on made it easy to understand she couldn't see any alternatives.

Episode 12 and 13 have 2 of the most brutal scenes I've seen on tv. Very difficult to watch.

As others have said some great performances from the unknown young actors, especially those playing Hannah, Jessica and Alex. Wasn't a big fan of tony as he seemed like a 30 year old high school student but I guess he played an important role.

According to some articles netflix is considering a sequel. Hopefully they don't do it as the important story has been told and told well.

Sums up my feelings as well, some very emotional scenes as the story progressed & thought they handled it very well without glorifying the subject matter, the actress playing Hannah really was very good, heartbreaking at times. Certainly not a show for anyone who's feeling blue etc, as for younger viewers, not sure what an appropriate age would be, highly dependent on their maturity I guess.

Was a tough one to binge tho, had to slip in a comedy now & then to balance things up.

Last edited:
Just finished watching. Great show and the best Netflix production I’ve seen (unpopular opinion, but I think it shits over Stranger Things which I found meh and forgettable).

It really had me hooked from the beginning and the cast of no names did a fantastic job. Only knew Hannah Baker was an Aussie when a friend mentioned it, she has a big future.

A few things for the spoiler section.

Was a bit disappointed with how things were wrapped up. I assumed the plot would be tied up into a nice little package but instead there were a lot of loose ends which point to a second season (unnecessary IMO).

I’m assuming the Tony? thing was because he didn’t answer her when she delivered the tapes.

Completely underwhelmed by Clay’s video. The way it was built up, and the way Tony said ‘Yes’ he killed Hannah Baker is completely different to the way I saw it. He reacted exactly anyway a NORMAL guy should in the bedroom. She yelled at him multiple times to get out, it’d be downright creepy Bryce style to hang around and try to reason with her after that.

It was obvious all along that the counselor had a part, completely incompetent.

None of the characters were all that likeable, although I had more time for the blonde dude and Zach than others. Blonde dude seemed genuinely remorseful for what he did and Zach was just a dumb, narcissistic jock who made a few bad decisions. He seemed like a good guy deep down. Clay was kinda annoying.

The last episode with her mum walking into the bathroom is heartbreaking stuff. I know Hannah went through some seriously dark stuff to get to where she did but she effectively ruined her parents’ lives too with what she did that night. Her parents were good people. They might never have found out what happened if unhelpful Yoda didn't grow a conscience.

Anyway top notch show, 9/10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back